The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-30-2016, 05:20 PM   #1
motown

1948 5-window 3100 bagged

Excited to get this project started. Starting out with a pretty solid cab needing mild/moderate sheet metal replacement. All I have of the original panels is the hood, cab and doors. I've not yet touched the cab and will probably need to replace some sketchy patch panels. Here's a few pics of where I'll be starting.
Attached Images

motown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 01:15 PM   #2
motown

Re: 1948 5-window 3100 bagged

Starting to clean up the doors.
Attached Images

Old 05-01-2016, 02:15 PM   #3
joedoh

it looks to me like someone welded in parts and pieces of a later C10 floor and at least part of the firewall. that trans tunnel is actually brilliant, you will love not having to mess with the tunnel.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 03:05 PM   #4
motown

I'm hoping on not having to redo the floor pans. The trans tunnel isn't welded but if it works I don't see a reason not to use it. That had been a big question in my head as to what I'll have to do with the trans tunnel. I don't yet have my powertrain so I'm sure it'll just have to be test fitted. Heck I don't even have a chassis yet. But I will be doing a manual trans. Does anybody know if you can set up a manual shifter high to almost act as a car shifter? Seems like I saw it before an it was pretty cool, not sure I'd do it. That would limit to bucket seats I'd imagine.
Old 05-01-2016, 03:18 PM   #5
nvrdone

ive g an m21 in my 49. I fabbed a flat plate to raise the pivot point on the shifter up about 6". shifts great. the only thing is I had to flip the shift arm for reverse over. now reverse is left & back
nvrdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 04:13 PM   #6
joedoh

is any of the original 1948 structure under the pans? I think you could use them as long as the stringers are still there, they make the floor super strong at the mounting points.

if they arent, you will need to tie the rocker to the floor around where the body mounts with some channel or some tube. but other than that I dont think you will have a problem, that trans tunnel will be out of the way of even an allison trans mounted in the stock location.

Old 05-01-2016, 11:35 PM   #7
motown

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvrdone View Post
ive g an m21 in my 49. I fabbed a flat plate to raise the pivot point on the shifter up about 6". shifts great. the only thing is I had to flip the shift arm for reverse over. now reverse is left & back
Wouldn't happen to have a pic of that handy?
Old 05-01-2016, 11:38 PM   #8
motown

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
is any of the original 1948 structure under the pans? I think you could use them as long as the stringers are still there, they make the floor super strong at the mounting points.

if they arent, you will need to tie the rocker to the floor around where the body mounts with some channel or some tube. but other than that I dont think you will have a problem, that trans tunnel will be out of the way of even an allison trans mounted in the stock location.
I've not examined the bottom under the pans yet. If I had to guess I'd say there's nothing original. However, there's a gap between the rocker and the pan that's been tacked in that might not work out.
Old 05-02-2016, 12:12 AM   #9
joedoh

dont worry about what comes next if you havent done what comes first, just take a breath and start. if there isnt structure there no need to freak out, just add some. these trucks are pretty simple. the later trucks used a simple u channel that attached at the rocker and tapered into the floor until it was just double thick, since you have a later floor I think that is all you will need.

Old 05-02-2016, 07:09 AM   #10
motown

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
dont worry about what comes next if you havent done what comes first, just take a breath and start. if there isnt structure there no need to freak out, just add some. these trucks are pretty simple. the later trucks used a simple u channel that attached at the rocker and tapered into the floor until it was just double thick, since you have a later floor I think that is all you will need.
Yes sir it's in the assessment stage right now. Here's another question about rust... There's a few hard to reach areas inside the cab and inside the doors that are difficult to abrasively remove without removing metal for access. It's only mild to moderate surface rust, nothing serious. Is there a solvent that works in this case? I looked at Eastwood's fast etch but wasn't sure if that'd do the trick.... The center of those doors are the most difficult.
Old 05-07-2016, 05:58 PM   #11
motown

I turned the cab over on the firewall to inspect. There's some decent patch work and some bad patch work. I'll have to replace nearly everything on all 4 corners. Outer and inner cab corners, cowls, pillars. I hope I can keep it square with so much to cut out.
Attached Images