The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-30-2016, 11:07 PM   #1
Kell

Potential Blazer owner questions

Please be patient with my newbie questions.

Test drove my first Blazer today, 1972 4wd, auto, PS PB 350. I have a few questions before making an offer on it. I have driven tons of old trucks, I know what an old truck is supposed to drive like, but I have not driven any old 4wd trucks. The steering was pretty darty, it did not wander around at all, just when you made corrections or a turn it wanted to turn a little too much, the only word I can think for it is darty. When I got out I eyeballed the toe in and it seemed a little excessive but not sure that would cause it.

Is this normal for a solid axle front suspension with leaf springs? I'm not crazy about turning my son or wife loose in it the way it is.

If I were to get this one, or one like it, can the transmission be swapped for an OD transmission? What transmission comes on here, just a standard TH350? This would be a daily driver type vehicle, I would need it to be able to tow a trailer with mid sized tractors and pretty good size loads of hay, is this vehicle up to the task?

Vehicle is solid, has had floorboards and rockers replaced by someone who did a pretty good job, some repainting, overall it is really solid and well maintained except the seats are extremely rough, no carpet etc. Why are these vehicles priced so high? they seem to be anywhere from 2-5k more than an equivalent 4wd truck, is that normal? What is an average "driver" price on these? I know that's a hard question without seeing it but is there a range for non-show vehicles that need some love?

thanks in advance!
Old 04-30-2016, 11:37 PM   #2
truckster

Re: Potential Blazer owner questions

The vehicles command a premium because they're unique and collectors value them. The automatic transmission is a TH350. There are lots of threads on the board about installing a 700R4, but I'm planning on a 4L80E in mine. "Darty" is relative; mine drives pretty decent.

As far towing, you have to remember that this is a 1/2 ton truck with a very short wheelbase. The heaviest load I've towed with mine was a flatbed trailer with a 79 Camaro, and that got pretty squirrely on the freeway when it started to rain.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 11:53 PM   #3
bouncytruck
SKINNY TIRES RULE!

They are fairly rare - there was around 80,000 First Generation Blazers (1969-1972) manufactured. If you factor in how many have met their demise in one way or another, there aren't many left.

As for the darty, could be a bad alignment, worn steering components or just oversized tires. Mine has stock wheels with skinny tires and it drives great. My last one had 35" tires with a huge lift and was a bear to drive.

If you are looking for a good tow vehicle, you should consider something with a longer wheelbase, like a suburban.
Wife's Ride2014 Fiat 500L
bouncytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 12:20 AM   #4
Kell

Thanks for the replies, yes tires were not ideal, ball joints could have been worn too, not sure though, toe in did seem a little extreme.

this is kind of a fluke thing, I had not considered one before, it's the ability to haul more than 2 people that I am liking. Have always liked this body style for GM trucks, this thing has a lot of vintage coolness, I don't guess it has to tow, but it would be nice. Towing would allow me to keep my C10 and get rid of my crappy 2002 silverado.

I had not realized these vehicles had become so popular, I think it's the vintage SUV thing or something, I don't know. I see a lot of older vehicles portrayed on TV and movies now, and they are almost always vintage trucks (not hot rods, but period correct and worn looking).

Anyway, I would need a 100% reliable and functioning vehicle, I like to drive them. The steering would need to be fixed one way or another. OD would just be for fuel economy because I would be driving it a lot.
Old 05-01-2016, 08:48 AM   #5
notsolo

IMO body is about 90% of the value of these trucks. (Torsion boxes under behind the rocker panel supports the body with the top off) The drive train can be updated. Main factors for a family hauler safety, roll bar, or cage. This is not a cheap hobby, Most parts are available. Check out this build, big boxes in front of the wheel wells post #4-photo #3 are most important, these hold the door gaps also.... http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=631802
notsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 08:57 AM   #6
hemi43

You want to buy this Blazer, and have an 02 Silverado you want to get rid of ?? I say build one truck out of the two. The 02 is the perfect candidate as a donor vehicle for the engine and transmission. You'll have excellent fuel economy and reliability wrapped up in a cool looking truck.
hemi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 12:26 PM   #7
Bigdav160

Quote:
I would need it to be able to tow a trailer with mid sized tractors and pretty good size loads of hay, is this vehicle up to the task?
The most I ever towed with my Jimmy was my boat. Probably 4500lbs gross. It wasn't an excellent tow vehicle but it did do it. The steering was never darty.

I think a 3/4 ton Suburban would be a better fit.

I wo
'73 Z-28 Camaro
'63 Ford SWB Uni Pickup
'50 Ford Coupe
Bigdav160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 12:48 PM   #8
Kell

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsolo View Post
IMO body is about 90% of the value of these trucks. (Torsion boxes under behind the rocker panel supports the body with the top off) The drive train can be updated. Main factors for a family hauler safety, roll bar, or cage. This is not a cheap hobby, Most parts are available. Check out this build, big boxes in front of the wheel wells post #4-photo #3 are most important, these hold the door gaps also.... http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=631802
Thanks for the info, I'm familiar with trucks, not the blazer so this helps. I noticed that in front of the rear wheels (inside the wheelwell) it had those new pieces shown in the pic linked to, I did not notice if the whole "box" was replaced though since I did not know to look for that. I noticed it had new rear leafs, new body mount bushings, stuff like that. Doors had proper gap, and like I said, floors and rockers appeared to be professionally installed most likely. Nothing scary like the stuff I usually look at (you have no idea, or maybe you do) I am going to guess they replaced those boxes as well but it is an hour away to go check. Is that a deal breaker if they have been replaced, or something that would drastically lower the price?

I just like this blazer, no interest in a suburban, nothing personal. And to re-emphasize, it's not a requirement that it tow heavy loads. Just a fun daily driver would be fine, but being able to get it on the highway would eventually be needed.
Old 05-02-2016, 06:58 AM   #9
notsolo

Only an hour away! waste some time and make sure you get the best possible truck for the money. Plenty of talented people who have rebuilt these trucks if the door gaps are good and the torsion boxes are good, should be a quality truck to own. Get your flash lite or head lite and go check it out...Good luck.
notsolo is offline   Reply With Quote