The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-28-2003, 04:31 PM   #1
mark be

alternator & voltmeter

I've recently built a 72 lwb, I have a couple of questions. I have been having problems with my battery dieing every couple of days , so i bought a voltmeter
and my truck runs at 11.5 - 12 volts .I took the alt. & batt. in had them tested , replaced the alt. and regulator and nothing has changed (volt.) . Has anybody had this problem ? What should I do? Shouldn't my truck be running at 13+ volts?
mark be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2003, 05:06 PM   #2
jmanz69
Careful, they attack...

If you are having a dead battery, you have a drain somewhere in the system. Use your volt meter in it's ammeter setting to find your drain. Put it between the + post and the cable that hooks to it. If there is a AMP reading, then you have a drain. This is done, of course, with everything turned off. Then, start unplugging things one at a time. Like radio, heater, headlights, brake lights. You will narrow it down to the problem, and then fix it. You should draw no current when the engine is off and everything is turned off. If you have a modern radio installed, then you will see a slight current draw for the clock, but this should not kill your battery in a couple days time. Check all your grounds too. Make sure all your battery cables are tight. Check the body grounds, and the engine-to-body ground.

Good luck.
jmanz69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2003, 06:08 PM   #3
truckster

Yes, you should be getting about 13.5 volts with the engine running at idle.
Old 09-28-2003, 06:40 PM   #4
krue
Designated A-hole!

What they said, and welcome to the board!

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2003, 06:46 PM   #5
Linus0014

Welcome from So Cal.
Old 09-28-2003, 06:47 PM   #6
sbrban

Make sure you have a good ground from battery cable to rad. suppt. I went through what you did a couple weeks ago and that was what I ended up with.
Old 09-28-2003, 08:06 PM   #7
JimKshortstep4x4

Talking

Welcome to the board from West Michigan!

Your battery voltage should read 13.5-14.5 with the engine running and the alternator working properly. If you have checked the grounds and wiring, then check the voltage at the regulator with the key on, engine off. Voltage should be approximately 8-11
volts at the brown wire connection. If this is good, then there may be something wrong still with the alternator or regulator, (wiring is good).

Here is a link for wiring diagrams, should you need it.

http://www.geocities.com/chevroletc1070/wiringdias.html

Good luck!

Jim
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2003, 09:39 PM   #8
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Welcome to the board and yeah sounds like a short some where. You can try and pull fuses one at a time then retest it to see if that changes any of your readings to help isolate where the short might be. My guess would be in your park/tail/side marker lights. They are notorious for giving us irratations.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2003, 11:13 PM   #9
mark be

Thanks for all the help. I went out to do some of the suggested checks and battery was below 8v. I'll try tomorrow with charged bat.
Old 09-29-2003, 05:31 PM   #10
mark be

Well I think I found my problem and it was none of the above . I think it has something to do with my ignition switch,because my batt. wasn't dead my voltmeter said 8 volts but my batt. was at 12.5 I didn't charge it at all and today the voltmeter read 12 volts and now the engine turns over but then it seemed to go dead again so I tried using a remote starter when my voltmeter said 8 volts and it turned over with no problem . I am really puzzled ,does anybody have any more sugg.? thanx
Old 09-29-2003, 05:40 PM   #11
jmanz69
Careful, they attack...

Change your starter solenoid maybe. It sounds like maybe your solenoid is crapped out. They are cheap and not hard to replace. Where are you measuring that you get 8 Volts? But then get 12 Volts too? I am kinda confused as to where you are taking your measurements.
jmanz69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 05:46 PM   #12
tom hand
CCRider

How much extra stuff do you have on your truck ? I had a problem with mine with the voltage and it turned out all my accessories were pulling more amps than the alternator was putting out so if the truck was not running the battery would not discharge but the more I drove my truck the battery would discharge...it only had 12 volts while running. Put a bigger alternator on and solved the problem...13 plus volts while running
Old 09-29-2003, 06:07 PM   #13
mark be

To answer jmanz69 question I have a hand held voltmeter so I ca n test the batt. alone. I have all ready replaced the solenoid and the starter and added a heat sheild.To tom hand what size alt I just bought a new one they said it is about 66 ?
Old 09-29-2003, 06:53 PM   #14
mark be

Another question, would shimming the starter have any thing to do with it ,because I converted from a 4 on the floor to a automatic
Old 10-02-2003, 08:56 PM   #15
mark be

Well I found my problems , the blue wire from my alt. was cut inside its wrapping and was not plugged in to the regulator correctly now my truck runs at 14 volts, thankx for all the help