The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-04-2016, 12:21 AM   #1
siggyfreud

Shortened steering columns

Hey all,

Looking to purchase a new steering column soon. As part of my build I'll be changing out the seats to something (likely) from a mid 90's to early 2000's Silverado that has the shoulder belt built in. From what I've read, these seats are a little taller and thicker than the stock bench seats, which means tall/large people might be more pressed for space.

I'm about 6'1" and (will be once I lose some weight) 210 lbs. I'd like to ensure it remains a comfortable ride for both me and my guests.

Has anyone found/run a shorter steering column that puts the wheel a little closer to the dash, and if so, what did they use? Is there an off-the-shelf solution available, or would I be looking at customizing a new column?

Would like to go with a tilt as well, to help with space if needed.

Cheers all!
siggyfreud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 10:40 AM   #2
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

Re: Shortened steering columns

You can order universal tilt columns from Ididit and Flaming River. They can be ordered any length you want. You'll have to do your own measuring to figure out how short you want it.

I shortened a factory non tilt column for a buddy. Think I took about 2 1/2" out of it. One thing to keep in mind, the more you move the column towards the dash, the lower the wheel gets. This is because the column is on an angle. This will cause the steering wheel to be closer to your legs, even if further away from your body. With a tilt it might not be a big deal.
1965 Chevy C10, Long, Fleetside, Hot Rod C10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415702 SOLD

We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason... listen twice as much and speak half as often...
chevy_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 11:36 AM   #3
siggyfreud

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy_mike View Post
You can order universal tilt columns from Ididit and Flaming River. They can be ordered any length you want. You'll have to do your own measuring to figure out how short you want it.

I shortened a factory non tilt column for a buddy. Think I took about 2 1/2" out of it. One thing to keep in mind, the more you move the column towards the dash, the lower the wheel gets. This is because the column is on an angle. This will cause the steering wheel to be closer to your legs, even if further away from your body. With a tilt it might not be a big deal.
Thanks for the info, that's a good point that I hadn't really considered. Do you know approximately how far from the dash the center of the wheel is stock? And how long a stock column is?

I don't have my column anymore or else I'd just check. I might measure out a few simulations to see how close I want it moved, and how big of an impact that has on thigh room.
Old 05-04-2016, 04:35 PM   #4
forestb

You might also need to take in account that (I think) on the tilt columns where the column attaches to the wheel (where it is wider) is longer and might not fit in between the dash and the wheel if the column is shortened.
forestb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 04:51 PM   #5
siggyfreud

Hmm okay. Maybe an easier solution is finding a seat that is a little smaller.
Old 05-05-2016, 10:51 AM   #6
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by siggyfreud View Post
Thanks for the info, that's a good point that I hadn't really considered. Do you know approximately how far from the dash the center of the wheel is stock? And how long a stock column is?

I don't have my column anymore or else I'd just check. I might measure out a few simulations to see how close I want it moved, and how big of an impact that has on thigh room.
If I remember, I measure my panel tonight. Since my buddy was going from the stock wheel to a 15" wheel, it didn't make as much of a difference but if the stock wheel was left on, it would have dropped about 1-1.5" lower.

If you want to keep a bench seat, look at the '88-'98 ones. If you get the one piece style, you can cut and weld the seat riser brackets shorter, to lower the seat.
1965 Chevy C10, Long, Fleetside, Hot Rod C10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415702 SOLD

We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason... listen twice as much and speak half as often...
chevy_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 02:37 PM   #7
Snowbound

I used a tilt van column and mounted it all the way in as far as it would go. There's about an inch from the dash to the column bell. Then I used a 67-72 intermediate shaft which I shortened by drilling the plastic pins out and collapsing it to fit.

Power steering and a 15" Corvette sport steering wheel provides more room also.

I did not use the newer seats. The shoulder belt extension part of the seat will hit the cab corner unless you move the seat forward or tilt it more upright.

Lap belts and Buddy buckets for me. Hope I don't eat the steering wheel one day!
1965 Chevy Short Box Stepside, 230 - 3 speed, 4:11 gears, original paint rust free survivor. Now sporting a 383 SBC and TKO-600
Snowbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 10:45 PM   #8
64shortbox

I did as snowbound did. I used a 72 Van Tilt but I moved mine even closer to the dash. You MIGHT be able to slip a Popsicle stick on edge between the top part of the dash and the shift bowl assembly. I went from an Olds Sport Wheel to a billet wheel. I kept my stock seat though and just had it reupholstered to my liking. You sure wouldn't want to climb in my truck with a hangover though.

Also, for more leg room I removed the factory brake pedal bump stop, added a thicker bump stop with a built in 3/8" stud. That little bit of extra bump stop at the top of the brake pedal gave me a good couple of inches that I don't have to raise my foot off the gas to hit the brake pedal & at full stomp on the brake pedal I'm still a good inch or so from hitting the floor.

Oh, I also cut the brake pedal pad off my 64 C-10 and welded on a pad from a 73 C-10 and yes a suspended gas pedal too. I don't think my truck will EVER be finished.
Attached Images

64shortbox is offline   Reply With Quote