The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-05-2016, 10:09 AM   #1
Isaiah92260

Weird sulfur smell from my truck! Help! :/

I'm thinking it's the truck, when I engage the truck, the smoke comes and goes, sometimes when it's idling. It smells weird, I'm not sure if it is sulfur because idk what to describe it, I know it isn't my brakes because the smoke puffs even when idling, not sure why it would be my clutch, I havnt adjusted it in about 8 months.... I've noticed it the past couple days after I had to parallel park it on a hill, and I was having a hell of a time because it was a tight spot for my long bed.... Could anyone have a idea what it is? Is my clutch burning out? And/or what can I do to fix this problem... Btw I don't notice issues with my clutch engaging, it's a 3 on the tree, it works perfectly fine, just this mysterious puff of weird smelling smoke
Isaiah92260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 12:31 PM   #2
XLCOR_65

Re: Weird sulfur smell from my truck! Help! :/

I know that a vacuum leak can be a cause of a sulfur-like smell. I would check out anywhere you might have a vacuum port or hose.

Just an idea. Hope you find what's causing your issue!
1949 Willys Overland
XLCOR_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 02:06 PM   #3
Isaiah92260

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLCOR_65 View Post
I know that a vacuum leak can be a cause of a sulfur-like smell. I would check out anywhere you might have a vacuum port or hose.

Just an idea. Hope you find what's causing your issue!
Thanks..... It could even creat puffs of white smoke?
Old 05-05-2016, 02:36 PM   #4
XLCOR_65

My initial response is yes because a vacuum leak can suck oil depending on where it is... But....white smoke is usually indicative of coolant, and oil burned by a vacuum leak would be a blueish gray. (I will be the first to say though that it can be hard to differentiate the two sometimes and condensation can cause temporary white smoke)

Is the smoke coming out of your exhaust or are you seeing random puffs of smoke under the hood? Sorry if you stated that, I could have read over it.

Do you run a PCV valve? Any vacuum lines at all? Do you notice a higher than normal idle or loss of power? A good test for a vacuum leak is to get some carb cleaner and lightly spray around the intake, carb base, etc while the truck is running and see if you get a temporary rise in idle.

Also, check your carb. If you have one that has vacuum ports that you have plugged, make sure they are still plugged. A good backfire can shoot those things off and leave you scratching your head if you forget to look there.

Just a few ideas.
1949 Willys Overland

Last edited by XLCOR_65; 05-05-2016 at 02:46 PM.
Old 05-05-2016, 02:59 PM   #5
Isaiah92260

Quote:
My initial response is yes because a vacuum leak can suck oil depending on where it is... But....white smoke is usually indicative of coolant, and oil burned by a vacuum leak would be a blueish gray. (I will be the first to say though that it can be hard to differentiate the two sometimes and condensation can cause temporary white smoke)

Is the smoke coming out of your exhaust or are you seeing random puffs of smoke under the hood? Sorry if you stated that, I could have read over it.

Do you run a PCV valve? Any vacuum lines at all? Do you notice a higher than normal idle or loss of power? A good test for a vacuum leak is to get some carb cleaner and lightly spray around the intake, carb base, etc while the truck is running and see if you get a temporary rise in idle.

Also, check your carb. If you have one that has vacuum ports that you have plugged, make sure they are still plugged. A good backfire can shoot those things off and leave you scratching your head if you forget to look there.

Just a few ideas.
You now that you have mentioned it, it is more of a faint bluefish grey smoke, and yes it is random puffs of smoke coming from under the hood/driver side from wheel well area.

I am running a brand new PCV valve that's about 6 months old with a new hose on it, and also running the vacumm hose from the vacumm advance to the carb. I did post about that vacumm hose a couple weeks ago. I think it's stripped because one day I tighten the fitting and was able to get my idle down to about 500 rpms, then one day out of no where it started idling again at around 650-700 rpms. It's always done that so I just forgot about it, but that was what made me think that fitting that goes to the carb may be stripped. I'll have to check it by spraying carb cleaner then.
Old 05-05-2016, 03:05 PM   #6
XLCOR_65

That sounds like it could be the culprit. If you can't heli-coil it (or just don't want to), you could always wrap some thread tape around the threads a few times to get it to hold a bit tighter...just a temporary fix, but could be worth a shot. If nothing else, a cheap way to eliminate a possibility.
1949 Willys Overland
Old 05-05-2016, 03:14 PM   #7
Isaiah92260

Quote:
That sounds like it could be the culprit. If you can't heli-coil it (or just don't want to), you could always wrap some thread tape around the threads a few times to get it to hold a bit tighter...just a temporary fix, but could be worth a shot. If nothing else, a cheap way to eliminate a possibility.
Thank you so much dude... Btw how do I find the right help cool size?
Old 05-05-2016, 03:31 PM   #8
XLCOR_65

No problem at all. I hope that helps the issue.

You can get a heli-coil kit from just about any parts store. When you go in and ask, just be sure to ask for a person behind the counter with a little gray in their hair...that way you can get the help you need. lol
1949 Willys Overland
Old 05-05-2016, 05:40 PM   #9
Isaiah92260

Quote:
No problem at all. I hope that helps the issue.

You can get a heli-coil kit from just about any parts store. When you go in and ask, just be sure to ask for a person behind the counter with a little gray in their hair...that way you can get the help you need. lol

Cool thank you so much!!

Btw, hit a though.... Wouldn't the problem actually be the PCV valve because that's closet to contact of oil? The vacumm hose only links from the vacumm advance to the carb... Maybe I should check the PCV valve, it makes a rattle can kind of sound when the car shakes from time to time expect ally during warm up... I bought the PCV valve from auto zone, it seemed a little cheap, also I gotta replace the brass fitting that the hose slips into the manifold, it looks old, I've always felt that it could be a little clogged.
Old 05-05-2016, 06:49 PM   #10
XLCOR_65

Yes, I was thinking that you had one of those screw in type PCV valves that go in the base of your carb. So again, I probably misread.

But yeah, definitely probably something to do with your PCV.

Just curious, what gas are you running? Not that it makes too much of a difference, but I know when I ran that nasty Casey's gas, I always had issues.

When you go to the parts store, I would get a guy that knows these trucks and see what he thinks. It is kinda hard for me to be of much without seeing anything. haha.
1949 Willys Overland
Old 05-05-2016, 08:41 PM   #11
Isaiah92260

Quote:
Yes, I was thinking that you had one of those screw in type PCV valves that go in the base of your carb. So again, I probably misread.

But yeah, definitely probably something to do with your PCV.

Just curious, what gas are you running? Not that it makes too much of a difference, but I know when I ran that nasty Casey's gas, I always had issues.

When you go to the parts store, I would get a guy that knows these trucks and see what he thinks. It is kinda hard for me to be of much without seeing anything. haha.
It isn't a screw on type, but it doesn't fully sit down into the hole on the valve cover, the original one that came with them motor sat further down, maybe I should slap the old one, I don't think anything was wrong with it, or I'll take it to the parts store and hopefully I can get one the same size....