The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-07-2016, 01:25 PM   #1
sags

clutch question

OK folks, saturday and trying to get a little work done in the garage before the rain comes. Have pulled 230 and four speed that was in my 65, cleaning up th enegine bay. Learning a whole lot. I have a 'new' rebuilt, resealed and repainted 230 from a 63 in the garage and I am mounting the original 4 speed back to it before putting in in. Here is my question. Should I be able to easily move the clutch fork once the tranny is mounted to the engine? It doesn't feel right. I need to go get some grease but I am thinking it ought to move more freely. Any thoughts or suggestions? Anything I should pay special attention to?
sags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 01:46 PM   #2
frankslagoon

Re: clutch question

could you slide the new throw out bearing back and forth easy by hand. sometimes that surface gets rusty and needs cleaning up if it's been sitting for awhile. of course you can't move it by hand after it contacts the pressure plate.
frankslagoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 02:05 PM   #3
sags

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankslagoon View Post
could you slide the new throw out bearing back and forth easy by hand. sometimes that surface gets rusty and needs cleaning up if it's been sitting for awhile. of course you can't move it by hand after it contacts the pressure plate.
frankslagoom - thanks. I can move it by hand before I mount it but has a little stick. Need some lithium grease to help that. But once mounted, I shouldnt be able to move it more than a bit as it contacts the pressure plate? That was my question. Thanks!
sags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 04:36 PM   #4
Lndeatr

Quote:
Originally Posted by sags View Post
frankslagoom - thanks. I can move it by hand before I mount it but has a little stick. Need some lithium grease to help that. But once mounted, I shouldnt be able to move it more than a bit as it contacts the pressure plate? That was my question. Thanks!
Depends. Did you eat your Wheaties this morning?
Lndeatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 08:22 PM   #5
frankslagoon

You should have around a 1in. I suppose. as long as the bearing backs away from the pressure plate a little. if not maybe ya got the wrong throw out bearing/ pressure plate set. the bearings come in at least 2 lengths.
frankslagoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 10:21 PM   #6
jocko

Probably not the issue, but you wouldn't be the first... Make sure the release bearing isn't in backwards. The movable face of the release bearing should be the face that contacts the pressure plate (i.e. facing front of truck).
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote