The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-07-2016, 10:47 PM   #1
In The Ten Ring

Do you replace or reuse rusty hardware?

By the time my truck is reassembled, I would have cleaned up so many nuts, bolts, washers, and screws, it'll get 30 mpg!

I studiously clean up and plan to reuse every single fastener I can off my truck. Do you do that too or just get new ones?

Do you reassemble without cleaning up the bolts, etc?

These have been in Evaporust soak, hit with a wire wheel, and Permatexed.

In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 10:54 PM   #2
Grumpy old man

Re: Do you replace or reuse rusty hardware?

Clean and reuse specialty hardware ,all other hardware upgraded to grade 8 , it's not worth the time to clean old nuts and bolts

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 11:03 PM   #3
Steven R

I disassemble bag and tag label, sandblast and paint, then reassemble if possible in the same place they came from. Some always are too far gone or not worth the effort due to corrosion or damage.

I have bought new ones, blasted them and painted to match the originals that I have already restored.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 11:06 PM   #4
68bowtie

it sounds like you're a very patient person! good for you though, pretty cool.

Survivor "Lil’ Mint" (67 c10 40k mile light green original paint)
Project "C10 Fever" (68 factory black 396 swb)
Project "Little Sister" (70 c10 blue original paint refresh)
Project "Blue Bomb" (70 c30 blue original paint refresh) SOLD
Project "Vitamin C" (71 c10 orange original paint refresh) SOLD
68bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 11:53 PM   #5
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
I clean ALL of my parts and fasteners then sort out the unusable ones. It works like a charm and cleans a lot of stuff at one time...

LockDoc
Attached Images

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 11:56 PM   #6
Gromit

I like the grade 8 idea.. also blasting of course but I don't have a sand or baking soda blaster; I think it depends how much time you have until reassembly. I do keep a 5 gallon bucket and some other smaller containers (like a section of 4" ABS pipe with a glued on cap on one end and a removable cap on the top for long pieces) and full of blackstrap molasses. I have found I can degrease a bunch of fasteners and then throw them into the molasses to soak for a couple of weeks and they come out pretty good in terms of rust removal. They do start to rust again right away out of the molasses so I have to get some kind of coating on them right away.

One good thing about molasses is it is pretty organic so disposal is easy (I don't put chrome stuff in there, nor in my DIY battery charger electrolysis set up)...

I have found that all of those trips to the hardware store can add up too... and even though my local Ace Hardware has an excellent selection of fasteners they often are not exactly the same as stock - either the thread count is different or the overall length or head profile, etc. Original has its charms..
Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 12:04 AM   #7
Chknlyps2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
-
I clean ALL of my parts and fasteners then sort out the unusable ones. It works like a charm and cleans a lot of stuff at one time...

LockDoc
I clean brass that way for reloading using stainless steel pins for media, never thought about using it for hardware.... pretty nifty!
Chknlyps2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 01:57 AM   #8
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

I've been cleaning mine up, though I have the luxury of no pitting and a dry climate. Yes it takes a lot of time. Today I spent near two hours just cleaning J-nuts for the fenders, though once I figured out how to get inside, about 5 minutes each.

As opposed the evap. rust, ever try soaking parts in white vinegar for 24 hours or so? Follow that with WD-40, brushes and a Dremmel, if the metal is good they come out like new. I don't use vinegar for the finer objects, such as those star washers. Soak in WD-40 instead. I have a BEAUTIFUL set of mirror reinforcements in WD right now. Left them in vinegar overnight, a little brushing and they're near done. Maybe 5 minutes each in the morning, good as new.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assembly kit for restoring the (a) truck from the ground up. My build thread, and more on the assembly kit https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 05-09-2016 at 12:30 PM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 07:43 AM   #9
special-K
Special Order

It depends on condition. I soak in Osphos and coat with mineral oil on to store. Any factory part that can be saved is worth the effort. That's restoration, has nothing to do with production. I just put new leaf springs on my '72 and the original bolts were so clean I reused them. If new grade 8 bolts are from China I figure I'm better off with the 40 year old ones.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 09:36 AM   #10
Shady Rascal

I have them replated. At a dollar per pound, you can do every fastener on the entire truck for less than a 50 dollar bill. It is really nice for little springs and brackets and clips.

Shady Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 10:17 AM   #11
raggedjim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Rascal View Post
I have them replated. At a dollar per pound, you can do every fastener on the entire truck for less than a 50 dollar bill. It is really nice for little springs and brackets and clips.
Those look great. What plating is that? Zinc?

Thanks, Rg

'68 Short step - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=849675
'69 ('70?) 2wd Blazer
'70 GMC Jimmy 2wd
'73 Firebird - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=853203
raggedjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 11:11 AM   #12
Ruscal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Rascal View Post
I have them replated. At a dollar per pound, you can do every fastener on the entire truck for less than a 50 dollar bill. It is really nice for little springs and brackets and clips.]
I had my motorcycle hardware cad plated during yearly maintenance. They would bake it after plating to stop hydrogen embrittlement. Everything looked like new.
Russ
Old 05-08-2016, 11:20 AM   #13
Shady Rascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedjim View Post
Those look great. What plating is that? Zinc?

Thanks, Rg
It's called clear zinc. They also have black and yellow if you prefer. Pretty much any moderate sized urban area will have a plating shop. I found mind through a quick google search and haven't ever bought much new hardware since then. My shop has a 25 dollar minimum charge for the first 25 pounds plus one dollar per pound over 25. You can plate a lot of hardware and widgets for 25 pounds. Four day turn around time.
Old 05-08-2016, 11:27 AM   #14
nobolt

wow, how clean do they have to be to have them plated like that?

"... government even in its best state is but a necessary evil. Thomas Paine

"It wasn't a lie, it was ineptitude with insufficient cover." Donald Draper (Mad Men)
nobolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 11:32 AM   #15
Shady Rascal

They clean them. I disassemble stuff and throw into a box. If it's something that's just horrible greasy I soak them in degreaser before I throw them in the box simply as a courtesy. But, first step of their process is clean with products > anything we garage dwellers ever dreamed of.
Old 05-08-2016, 11:45 AM   #16
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Absolutely I reuse old hardware. In addition to the zinc you can re-plate bolts etc with the OEM black phosphate inexpensively. I just take in a box of greasy parts and they return literally looking brand new: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&postcount=114

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 11:52 AM   #17
Shady Rascal

I knew a Shady Rascal once who was going through a hard stretch in his life. He went to the junkyard and pulled every single 5/16" body bolt from GM vehicles he could find. You know the pointy fender bolts with built in washers ? After having them replated to look new he sold them at the swap meet for 50 cents each and made obscene cash off of the deal. A five gallon bucket of fresh bolts at 50 cents each add up to big bucks. Those bolts fit pretty much every pre-metric GM vehicle and the Camaro and Chevelle guys flocked to their shiny goodness.

Edited to add: While that fellow may be shady, he did not misrepresent the hardware as new. He was straight up front that it was all restored original GM hardware. The restorers still bought it like crack.
Old 05-08-2016, 11:53 AM   #18
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Here's some additional zinc finished pics. The tower clamps and k5 lift gate latches turn out nice: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&postcount=208

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
Old 05-08-2016, 12:26 PM   #19
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

That black phosphate looks great Deadhead. I'm going to look into it. Is there a minimum size that can be done? In other words, can small u-nuts be parkerized?
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assembly kit for restoring the (a) truck from the ground up. My build thread, and more on the assembly kit https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
Old 05-08-2016, 12:34 PM   #20
In The Ten Ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadheadNM View Post
Absolutely I reuse old hardware. In addition to the zinc you can re-plate bolts etc with the OEM black phosphate inexpensively. I just take in a box of greasy parts and they return literally looking brand new: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&postcount=114
I remember looking into that last year but decided shipping would be a bit much.

I may do it later though.

Sometimes threads really take off and reveal all sorts of information. This is one of those.
Old 05-08-2016, 12:36 PM   #21
In The Ten Ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 View Post
I've been cleaning mine up, though I have the luxury of no pitting and a dry climate. Yes it takes a lot of time. Today I spent near two hours just cleaning J-nuts for the fenders, though once I figured out how to get inside, about 5 minutes each.

As opposed the evap. rust, ever try soaking parts in white vinegar for 24 hours or so? Follow that with WD-40, brushes and a Dremmel, if the metal is good they come out like new. I don't use vinegar for the finer objects, such as those ground washers. Soak in WD-40 instead. I have a BEAUTIFUL set of mirror reinforcements in WD right now. Left them in vinegar overnight, a little brushing and they're near done. Maybe 5 minutes each in the morning, good as new.
That might be worth a try. Evaporust isn't cheap. I only go that route since I have zero space for a blasting cabinet.

Shady Rascal, that Shady Rascal you speak of seems like a sharp fellow and not a bad guy at all. I'm glad he did well there.
Old 05-08-2016, 12:51 PM   #22
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Ten Ring View Post
That might be worth a try. Evaporust isn't cheap. I only go that route since I have zero space for a blasting cabinet.

Shady Rascal, that Shady Rascal you speak of seems like a sharp fellow and not a bad guy at all. I'm glad he did well there.
White vinegar works amazing, and I reuse it until it's not reusable.
Old 05-08-2016, 03:55 PM   #23
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 View Post
That black phosphate looks great Deadhead. I'm going to look into it. Is there a minimum size that can be done? In other words, can small u-nuts be parkerized?
Nuts, washers heck I've done the tiny screws that affix the vac pod thingy to the RH kick panel on AC cabs. Places seem to have a minimum charge though as mentioned. Well worth doing and cost effective when done in bulk.

EDIT: Here's an example of the black zinc from member tjsblazer's excellent build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&postcount=178

Last edited by DeadheadNM; 05-08-2016 at 04:06 PM. Reason: added
Old 05-08-2016, 11:33 PM   #24
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadheadNM View Post
Nuts, washers heck I've done the tiny screws that affix the vac pod thingy to the RH kick panel on AC cabs. Places seem to have a minimum charge though as mentioned. Well worth doing and cost effective when done in bulk.

EDIT: Here's an example of the black zinc from member tjsblazer's excellent build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&postcount=178
Minimum charge no problem. Must be a couple hundred parts that can be parkerized off a build. I pretty well inventory what I got anyway. A more detailed list saves A TON of time painting and 2nd rate cold oxide.
Old 05-09-2016, 02:01 PM   #25
fwayne

Apple Cider Vinegar works wonders! For some reason it works better than plain vinegar for me. Its fast. I find most parts I leave overnight, and pull them out, use a cloth or small soft brush to wipe them down. Works amazingly well. Bio degradable, and cheap!

On some rusty parts the result is indistinguishable from a brand new bare metal piece.
fwayne is offline   Reply With Quote