The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-12-2016, 05:54 PM   #1
Mrturner1

New parts! Woohoo!

Well you know me I can't seem to leave my tools alone lol so I'm taking care of some issues with the truck. Has a fresh top end with a big ole cam in it and the B&M 2200-2600 torque master stall just didn't work. Grabbed a Holeshot 3000 today and that's goin in. Also, tired of one leggers with all the power I'm makin so I picked up a Yukon mini spool. Should be a fun ride after this. I'll take some pics of everything and a video at the end.
Mrturner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 06:21 PM   #2
dazza

Re: New parts! Woohoo!

so you have all your push rod issues sorted now?
'72 K10 SWB, 350, sm465/np205
---- ----
dazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 06:31 PM   #3
Mrturner1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazza View Post
so you have all your push rod issues sorted now?
Yep! Motor is running awesome finally. I got a really cool dial indicator and checked every cam lobe and they were all great and within a couple thousandths. Went with hardened pushrods from comp and new roller rockers as well.
Old 05-12-2016, 06:34 PM   #4
Mrturner1

Here's the first project. Almost time for this trucks first two wheels spinning launch
Attached Images

Old 05-12-2016, 06:40 PM   #5
Grumpy old man

AGH! And the carnage continues ,have you done anything to your suspension yet ? As you increase your available driveline torque it all has to be displaced somewhere and that's when that old need for speed demon will raise its ugly head again and turn your worn factory suspension into a pile of failed parts , universals, drive shafts , springs,frame twist ... Oh what fun to watch ! What's going on with those extra springs u bolted onto your rear axle ?
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Grumpy old man; 05-12-2016 at 06:47 PM.
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 07:37 PM   #6
Mrturner1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
AGH! And the carnage continues ,have you done anything to your suspension yet ? As you increase your available driveline torque it all has to be displaced somewhere and that's when that old need for speed demon will raise its ugly head again and turn your worn factory suspension into a pile of failed parts , universals, drive shafts , springs,frame twist ... Oh what fun to watch ! What's going on with those extra springs u bolted onto your rear axle ?
Posted via Mobile Device
Those are helper springs, PO towed a pro street truck with this one.
Old 05-12-2016, 07:38 PM   #7
Mrturner1

Converter is in
Attached Images

Old 05-12-2016, 09:43 PM   #8
BrianG

You should really take a second to think about what you want to do with this truck. You have (maybe had) a nice cruiser, but you are heading toward something that may not be the friendliest vehicle to drive on the street. Maybe you've already figured all of this out, but if not, sit down and make a plan, make sure you're not getting away from what you really want to do with this truck.
BrianG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 09:55 PM   #9
BrianG

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianG View Post
You should really take a second to think about what you want to do with this truck. You have (maybe had) a nice cruiser, but you are heading toward something that may not be the friendliest vehicle to drive on the street. Maybe you've already figured all of this out, but if not, sit down and make a plan, make sure you're not getting away from what you really want to do with this truck.
Sorry, that was really negative.... I don't really mean to sound like a jerk, and realize I should probably not have posted that... doesn't add anything positive to the subject. Guess, I'm just trying to give some friendly advise. Really not trying to sound so negative. Big stalls and tight rear ends have their purpose but can cause streetability issues maybe you know this and I apologize for assuming that you didn't already do your homework and plan things out.
BrianG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 12:31 AM   #10
Mrturner1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianG View Post
Sorry, that was really negative.... I don't really mean to sound like a jerk, and realize I should probably not have posted that... doesn't add anything positive to the subject. Guess, I'm just trying to give some friendly advise. Really not trying to sound so negative. Big stalls and tight rear ends have their purpose but can cause streetability issues maybe you know this and I apologize for assuming that you didn't already do your homework and plan things out.
No worries I would be a little concerned too if I saw a newbie doing all of this and thought it was a dd or driven often truck. It actually started as a restore project but the further into that I got, the more I realized it's not a good candidate for restore (frame is twisted a little bit, bed has dimples and dings all along both sides, been chopped up a bit from PO) so as it sits, it's a primered truck with a small block and th400 and I'm hoping to get it to the strip someday soon and shoot for 12's on motor and have fun
Old 05-13-2016, 12:49 AM   #11
toolboxchev

Boy your shredding right along, keep us updated with the double track pic. I love my posi, I go places in a 2wd some will get stuck in a lousy single spinning 4wd will get stuck.

I love ****ting the gravel out both sides and running sideways in the snow!
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 01:17 AM   #12
Mrturner1

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolboxchev View Post
Boy your shredding right along, keep us updated with the double track pic. I love my posi, I go places in a 2wd some will get stuck in a lousy single spinning 4wd will get stuck.

I love ****ting the gravel out both sides and running sideways in the snow!
I'm workin on it! lol after I get this stuff all done I'll be saving up for new springs and shocks, disk brakes for the front, and a gear vendor overdrive so I can take it to hot August nights )) I'd love to find some weld draglites too but nobody sells em used and bran new it too expensive.
Old 05-13-2016, 12:08 PM   #13
toolboxchev

GEAR VENDORS! Man 2 of my best buddies are running those things but they did not buy them new, got them out of an old RV. They are expensive, I have been thinking about upgrading my Turbo 350 shifter or getting a new 4l80e or even better a 6l80e.

Oh the money!
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 12:17 PM   #14
Mrturner1

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolboxchev View Post
GEAR VENDORS! Man 2 of my best buddies are running those things but they did not buy them new, got them out of an old RV. They are expensive, I have been thinking about upgrading my Turbo 350 shifter or getting a new 4l80e or even better a 6l80e.

Oh the money!
You can find those things in old RVs? Point me in the right direction man I'll start looking that sounds great
Old 05-13-2016, 12:19 PM   #15
Mrturner1

It's pretty tight in here but after some convincing it's goin
Attached Images

Old 05-13-2016, 02:46 PM   #16
Mrturner1

Got the mini spool in and cover on. I filled it using the square head plug on the passenger side and it took about a quart and a half until it was spilling out. I think I'm supposed to have 2 1/2 quarts in there so any insight on that'd be cool.

The converter made a world of difference. I noticed right away when I went to back out of the garage it was much looser. Still rolls real slow on its own but nothing to fight with at a red light now. The idle in gear is almost exactly the same as when it's in park, which makes everything nicer. My alternator never struggles when the fan kicks on because the converter is loose enough at idle or in gear to not create drag on the motor. It drives pretty normal when your cruising around, definetly different but not bad at all. Going uphill the RPM's are a bit higher but nothing intolerable. Parking lots are fun with the mini spool lol it chirps around turns but again, nothing that makes it bad for a driver. I'd still drive it daily if I had to.

I tried a half ass stalled launch just to see where it flashed and it's really to have both tires now. I noticed one thing I'll need to address though and that's wheel hop. Any suggestions on how to get rid of this would be great. The shocks are old so I'm sure that's a good place to start.

I'm really happy with it I'll get some video soon and post it up

Matt
Old 05-13-2016, 03:44 PM   #17
Grumpy old man

Have you paid for the AAA premium membership with the free 100 miles towing home yet ? Get that thing ready for the 2017 power tour ! I'll have a couple surprises for ya !
Posted via Mobile Device
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 03:48 PM   #18
straitnate14

What are you running out back for tires?
Old 05-13-2016, 03:59 PM   #19
Mrturner1

Ain't she sweet
Attached Images

Old 05-13-2016, 04:01 PM   #20
Mrturner1

255/60/15's in the back and there's not one bit of traction.
Attached Images

Old 05-13-2016, 04:04 PM   #21
Mrturner1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
Have you paid for the AAA premium membership with the free 100 miles towing home yet ? Get that thing ready for the 2017 power tour ! I'll have a couple surprises for ya !
Posted via Mobile Device
No AAA yet! lol

Power Tour is a far drive from me isn't it? I may have a gear vendor here in the next few months so it's a possibility. Lots to do before I'll trust it to really launch hard
Old 05-13-2016, 04:09 PM   #22
straitnate14

Good looking truck! I got 315/60-15 ET streets and they actually hook up pretty good. But man they throw rocks like it's going out of style.