The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-14-2016, 09:27 AM   #1
jhvaughn

Rear End - what to do

Need some advice, guidance, recommendations...

I have a 60 C10 with (what I believe to be) an Easton rear end. I'm swapping over to 5 lug. Seems I have two or three options, but am not sure what is best.

Ultimately, would like to run 3:73 gears and posi traction.

1) keep current rear end and swap axles, internals. My concern is that I can't swap out the gears and change it over to posi. I believe I read on the forums that there weren't many "upgrade" options for these rear ends.

2) get my hands on a 67-72 off of a C10 and swap out gears and set it up for posi. (currently looking around for one)

3) buy newer rear end from chevy truck (maybe with rear disks) and have it shortened.

Any thoughts from those of you that have been down this path would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Heath
jhvaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 11:07 AM   #2
HackJob65

Re: Rear End - what to do

It all depends on some variables. What is your budget, skill level, and desired wheel offset. 5 lug axle swap kits are easily available for the 1970 and earlier 6 lug 12bolt rear end. Any GM truck rear end with disk brakes will have 6 lugs. You could get a 10 bolt from an Impala SS or variant, which would have 5 on 5 lug pattern but is wider than your original axle. Narrowing an axle can be costly and make axle replacement a waiting game because of custom ordering.
HackJob65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 09:24 PM   #3
jhvaughn

Would like to keep the costs down. I have a set of 22x9 centerline solids that I'll be running on the truck.
Old 05-14-2016, 10:45 PM   #4
lumpy63

I have never done a 60-62 truck but have been informed axle pad location is different from 63-66 trucks. Figure out your wheel offset and tire size and what the over all width you need is. Also your lug pattern 5 on 4.75 or 5 on5.00? several suppliers sell rear end mounting kits with axle pads and panhard bar mounts.
lumpy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 12:26 AM   #5
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

You will not be able to achieve your goals with the original Eaton HO32/33 differential. You will need a '63-'72 12 bolt. Of course the '71-'72 will already have the 5 x 5 wheel stud pattern. The '73-'82 12 bolt or '79-'87 10 bolt could also be considered since you will have to relocate the trailing arm mounts on a '63-'72 anyways. The panhard bar mount will have to be addressed also. The '60 to early '70 differentials are 62" wide. The late '70 to '87 differentials are 63.5" wide.

If you do need a new set of trailing arm mounts, those are one of the many products that I make and sell here on the forum.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 08:04 AM   #6
jhvaughn

Thanks Captainfab! Great info. May have to hit you up for one of those brake booster adaptors too when I get to that part of the build.
Old 05-15-2016, 09:53 AM   #7
63burban
Chevy addict

Just curious, why do you want a posi ?
63burban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 11:17 AM   #8
jhvaughn

Because I want to run an LS motor and I want both tires to hook up. Not sure if limited slip will suffice and don't want to run a locker.

If posi isn't necessary, don't have to run it. I'm pretty sure I'll suffer some on gas mileage when on the highway.
Old 05-15-2016, 11:40 AM   #9
siggyfreud

You are aware that a limited slip and posi are the same thing yes? One was just GM's marketing terminology.
siggyfreud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 11:56 AM   #10
jhvaughn

I thought that but had heard different from others.
Old 05-15-2016, 10:12 PM   #11
AcampoDave

Pretty sure I have seen the limited slip in Blazers at the junk yard.
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 12:31 AM   #12
siggyfreud

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhvaughn View Post
I thought that but had heard different from others.
Posi is short for posi-trac, which was short for positive traction. It was GMs marketing term for their limited slip differentials.

Other companies called it sure-trac, tru-trac, etc, but they were all limited slip differentials.

It's not uncommon for people to think they're different things, so not surprising you had heard it . I just talked a guy recently out of swapping his limited slip 3.23 for a posi 3.23 simply because he wanted a posi.
siggyfreud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 09:21 AM   #13
verdell

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhvaughn View Post
Need some advice, guidance, recommendations...

I have a 60 C10 with (what I believe to be) an Easton rear end. I'm swapping over to 5 lug. Seems I have two or three options, but am not sure what is best.

Ultimately, would like to run 3:73 gears and posi traction.

1) keep current rear end and swap axles, internals. My concern is that I can't swap out the gears and change it over to posi. I believe I read on the forums that there weren't many "upgrade" options for these rear ends.

2) get my hands on a 67-72 off of a C10 and swap out gears and set it up for posi. (currently looking around for one)

3) buy newer rear end from chevy truck (maybe with rear disks) and have it shortened.

Any thoughts from those of you that have been down this path would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Heath

For my '60 shortbed, I found a '65 12-bolt rear with 3.07s and had a machine shop to move the mounting brackets and weld them back. Had another gentleman to re-drill the original 6-lug axles to 5 x 5 and had the axle center turned down to fit the 5 lug drums. Worked fine. Saving up for posi and 3.42's now..
verdell is offline   Reply With Quote