The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-14-2016, 03:42 PM   #1
tobascofred

70 C10 Dash Light Question

I took my dash out to replace the temperature gauge - I was not careful enough getting it out - I have one quarter turn light socket that comes from the steering wheel wire bundle and I do not know which dash socket it is for? I believe there are a total of seven sockets (four dash lights, one brake warning, one oil pressure and the high beam indicator). According to the wiring diagram all dash light feeds come through the connector, not anything straight from the steering wheel bundle. The high beam indicator does not work at all, with a regular bulb or the steering wheel one - anyone know what the light from the steering wheel column bundle would be for?
tobascofred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 05:33 PM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: 70 C10 Dash Light Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobascofred View Post
I took my dash out to replace the temperature gauge - I was not careful enough getting it out - I have one quarter turn light socket that comes from the steering wheel wire bundle and I do not know which dash socket it is for? I believe there are a total of seven sockets (four dash lights, one brake warning, one oil pressure and the high beam indicator). According to the wiring diagram all dash light feeds come through the connector, not anything straight from the steering wheel bundle. The high beam indicator does not work at all, with a regular bulb or the steering wheel one - anyone know what the light from the steering wheel column bundle would be for?

It is a fiber optic cable for the shift indicator. If I remember correctly it goes in the hole beside the speedometer.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 05:52 PM   #3
tobascofred

Thanks for the response - 100% correct now that I look closely - I initially thought that it was an electrical wire from the steering wheel bundle - it is not - it is exactly what you said! The bulb does now light up, but not the indicator - much newer steering wheel and possibly PO tore the column down deeper and didn't route the optic cable properly. Thanks again!
tobascofred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 10:01 PM   #4
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobascofred View Post
Thanks for the response - 100% correct now that I look closely - I initially thought that it was an electrical wire from the steering wheel bundle - it is not - it is exactly what you said! The bulb does now light up, but not the indicator - much newer steering wheel and possibly PO tore the column down deeper and didn't route the optic cable properly. Thanks again!

No problem. If the original indicator is still on the column you can loosen the screw and lift it up enough to see if the fiber optic cable is still connected. Sometimes you have to turn it sideways a little to get it to lift up. Be very gentle with it because they are usually pretty brittle, and when you put the screw back in don't tighten it all the way up or you will crack the screw hole out. This is the voice of experience speaking....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote