The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-14-2016, 09:19 PM   #1
Modest_Man

Driveshaft vibration diagnostics

Had the bushing redone at a pretty good shop here locally about a year ago but hadn't driven the truck any distance until recently. Now when I go over railroad tracks or hit a pot hole at 35-40 the drive shaft vibrates like crazy for 5-10 seconds and then be okay again. It happened for the first time about 30 minutes into a 45 minute drive and then happened several more times over the drive. Not sure if the road was just crappier or if prolonged driving exacerbated the issue. It may have happened once at a stop light on acceleration, I don't exactly remember.

So, any more professional opinions as to if it is bad U-joints, the new bushing, or if it just needs to be balanced? I am leaning toward the U-joint, but driveshafts aren't my strong suit. Maybe I installed it 180 degrees out?

Original 1 piece driveshaft, if that matters.
Modest_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 01:40 AM   #2
Chknlyps2

Re: Driveshaft vibration diagnostics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modest_Man View Post
Had the bushing redone at a pretty good shop here locally about a year ago but hadn't driven the truck any distance until recently. Now when I go over railroad tracks or hit a pot hole at 35-40 the drive shaft vibrates like crazy for 5-10 seconds and then be okay again. It happened for the first time about 30 minutes into a 45 minute drive and then happened several more times over the drive. Not sure if the road was just crappier or if prolonged driving exacerbated the issue. It may have happened once at a stop light on acceleration, I don't exactly remember.

So, any more professional opinions as to if it is bad U-joints, the new bushing, or if it just needs to be balanced? I am leaning toward the U-joint, but driveshafts aren't my strong suit. Maybe I installed it 180 degrees out?

Original 1 piece driveshaft, if that matters.
Are the u joints clocked correctly? Check these links, they might help.

http://www.behlingracing.com/behling...-installation/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmV4qwLfOMY
Chknlyps2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 06:25 AM   #3
hamjet

How do know for certain its the DS vibrating? sounds like worn front end parts to me..
Old 05-15-2016, 06:27 AM   #4
special-K
Special Order

Bumpy roads should have no effect on driveshaft in any way. With it going out of true, then back, and only after a rough spot I'd suspect the shaft is moving in the carrier bearing bushing. If u-joints aren't clocked or worn out the issue will be constant, though maybe more noticeable at certain speeds. Another thought would be the rear axle moving.

EDIT: Now I see you said you have a ipc driveshaft. So, what bushing are you talking about?

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 09:03 AM   #5
geezer#99

Strap your motor down on the drivers side, you could have a broken motor mount.
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 10:32 AM   #6
Modest_Man

Sorry I misspoke. It is the stock two piece driveshaft. The new carrier bushing has about a 1/2" of flex if I shake the driveshaft. Is that normal? U-joint at the carrier bushing is new, U-joints at the end are not.

I guarantee it is not engine related, as I can push in the clutch and drop the rpm's to idle and the vibration will continue. If it was related to the engine then it would change with engine rpm's, correct?

Here's a photo of the "new" bushing. I had it done last year but the truck has about 60 miles on it, 50 of which were the one longer drive where I discovered the vibration.

Old 05-17-2016, 12:16 AM   #7
Modest_Man

Can anyone tell me if 1/2 of movement at the bushing is normal?