The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-16-2016, 10:41 PM   #1
wpavlis

well, at least I don't need to worry about the mouse

So after some time I finally managed to get my heater box out. I found this little guy inside. At least I don't need to worry about mice living in the truck anymore. He did create a problem however. The metal plate that sits against the firewall is rusted through on the bottom. There is some rust on the inside air box as well, but I won't know how much until I get it off. Is this repairable at all? I am thinking I might be best off at this point to just buy a new firewall side heater box. I have seen that gmcpauls sells them. Any thoughts? Thanks!

-Bill

Name:  P1050734.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  38.1 KB

Name:  P1050733.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  42.9 KB

Name:  P1050652.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  49.5 KB
wpavlis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 10:59 PM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: well, at least I don't need to worry about the mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpavlis View Post
So after some time I finally managed to get my heater box out. I found this little guy inside. At least I don't need to worry about mice living in the truck anymore. He did create a problem however. The metal plate that sits against the firewall is rusted through on the bottom. There is some rust on the inside air box as well, but I won't know how much until I get it off. Is this repairable at all? I am thinking I might be best off at this point to just buy a new firewall side heater box. I have seen that gmcpauls sells them. Any thoughts? Thanks!

-Bill

Living in AZ I would think you would be able to find a good used one. I don't know how well the aftermarket ones fit but someone on here probably will.....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 11:08 PM   #3
ChuckLee

Mouse even had its own running wheel
ChuckLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 11:45 PM   #4
projectking

Pulled mine off today and it was packed tight, they even chewed the wheel up!
90 Mustang Notchback
projectking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 12:04 AM   #5
72 shorty

That looks exactly like mine. I recently found the same situation in my heater box. I ground of the rivets holding the metal parts to the fiberglass and had them sand blasted and powder coated. Then completely cleaned out the heater core housing with Simple Green and a lot of elbow grease, installed new fan motor, squirrel cage and heater core. Riveted in the parts I had powder coated back into the housing. New defroster hoses. New gaskets and good to go. No smell from those nasty mice can be found at all.
72 shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 12:41 AM   #6
wpavlis

That's basically what I was planning on. The problem is that the part that is riveted in is rusted through. The rest appears salvageable. I suppose a small hole would just allow some air to leak by. Its not like I need the heater to be at its utmost efficiency. That being said, knowing it was there would bother me even though no one would ever see it. I guess the hunt is on for a new to me non-A/C heater box. It's not like I don't look at Craigslist everyday anyway. 😀
Old 05-17-2016, 12:41 AM   #7
In The Ten Ring

That looks rough! However, as long as the metal parts are not rusted through, I would remove the rust and paint those parts.

There was a member on here (I can get his name for you) that offered to sell me a good non AC heater box for a very attractive price. His included the heater core.

My heater had no mouse (as far as I can tell) and wasn't rusted nearly as much as yours but it was rusted. I removed that with Evaporust and painted the parts.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 01:06 AM   #8
wpavlis

I found one on Craigslist! It was perfect timing. The guy gave me a complete set of interior and exterior boxes for $20. I think it just needs some paint. Much cleaner than mine was with just a small amount of surface rust.

Quick question about the engine side box. There is a plate that looks like it is held in place with simple pop rivets. I assume I can just drill them out to clean up that plate and then rivet them back in place? I plan on soaking it in evaporust to clean it. Should I coat it in something to protect it afterword? I am thinking silver paint or something. Thanks!

Bill

Name:  P1050824.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  40.9 KB

Name:  P1050825.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  42.3 KB

Name:  P1050826.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  29.4 KB
Old 05-27-2016, 01:54 AM   #9
89AKurt

Another Zonie!

What is with the heater boxes attracting mice? I've read/seen so many cases, mine is still blowing out Kleenex and insulation.
Old 05-27-2016, 06:38 AM   #10
In The Ten Ring

[QUOTE=wpavlis;7606583]I found one on Craigslist! It was perfect timing. The guy gave me a complete set of interior and exterior boxes for $20. I think it just needs some paint. Much cleaner than mine was with just a small amount of surface rust.

Quick question about the engine side box. There is a plate that looks like it is held in place with simple pop rivets. I assume I can just drill them out to clean up that plate and then rivet them back in place? I plan on soaking it in evaporust to clean it. Should I coat it in something to protect it afterword? I am thinking silver paint or something. Thanks!

Bill

Yes, you can drill out the rivets and replace those. I'd ask someone who's actually re-riveted those what size and if extra washers were used....that old fiberglass might crack if riveted too hard.

Evaporust! A man after my own heart.

I use Evaporust by the 5 gallon pail buddy! I've had several threads on my heater box, apparently removing the flapper is a bad idea as it is held in by a press-fitted rod. I drilled out the above-mentioned rivets, cleaned off all of the old gasket, and soaked my flapper in Evaporust as you said. I then taped it off very (very) well and sprayed the exposed side of the flapper and rod with NAPA Rust Treatment (Permatex).

Do not get Permatex onto the rubber around the flapper as it harms rubber per the label. I didn't do anything to the inside of the flapper as I could not safely reach it.

I top coated the Permatex with two coats of sliver paint (metallic is all I had on hand).

Other parts I painted in satin black after Evaporust soak and Permatex priming. I painted the two rods that hold on the heater core with engine paint.....using it by accident!

I am going to scuff up the rest of the heater box with a scotchbrite pad and hit it with matte clear coat, per advice here. Good luck and congrats on the heater box score.

You might want to get a new heater core or have that replacement pressure tested....mine was leaking but I found a brass/copper replacement although many on here swear by the parts' store aluminum ones.

Either ClassicHeartBeat or GMCPaul's sells a replacement rubber gasket for around that fan opening. I have one but I haven't attached it yet.

Last edited by In The Ten Ring; 05-27-2016 at 06:56 AM.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote