The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-20-2016, 01:07 PM   #1
mikesacs

Anyone use the automatic car wash?

Anyone use the automatic car wash with the spinning brushes with our trucks? I fear that it might damage my mirrors. I have the stock stainless mirrors with the triangle base.
mikesacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 01:40 PM   #2
Brandons63

Re: Anyone use the automatic car wash?

I would never take your truck through an auto wash that wasn't touch less!!! I would fear the brushes or pads would grab ahold of your mirror! I once took my '15 Ram 2500 through and it grabbed my side view and flipped it to the forward position.. It also broke off my antenna and bent my license plates.. My bad for not removing my antenna, but these things are harsh! May be fine for smaller cars or the sort... Never again!!
Brandons63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 01:46 PM   #3
mikesacs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandons63 View Post
I would never take your truck through an auto wash that wasn't touch less!!! I would fear the brushes or pads would grab ahold of your mirror! I once took my '15 Ram 2500 through and it grabbed my side view and flipped it to the forward position.. It also broke off my antenna and bent my license plates.. My bad for not removing my antenna, but these things are harsh! May be fine for smaller cars or the sort... Never again!!
That's one negative response! I don't have an external antenna, but that would add to the concern.

Thanks
mikesacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 04:44 PM   #4
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

I wouldn't. I value my truck too much to put it through that....

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 04:49 PM   #5
forestb

I have a bigger problem here in Burbank CA. It is now illegal to wash your own car in Burbank because of the drought in California. I don't know what I am going to do after I get my truck back from paint.
forestb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 10:20 PM   #6
racecougar

I wouldn't take a junk car through an automated car wash, much less one I actually cared about.
Old 05-20-2016, 10:29 PM   #7
zach_carver

Quote:
Originally Posted by racecougar View Post
I wouldn't take a junk car through an automated car wash, much less one I actually cared about.
Ditto. I despise them things. Chemicals are so harsh to be touch free even. I'm out on that.

LINK TO SUPER SNOOPY C10 BUILD---> http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=689283

1977 C10 SILVERADO HAWAIIAN BLUE, 5/5" DROP, LS6/4L80E

1976 CHEVY K5, 350/350, YUBA GOLD/SADDLE
zach_carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 12:18 AM   #8
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

You will probably have to resort to something like this.

http://www.dwginternational.com/WebSite/DWG.shtml

I have a friend that is a distributor for their products. He swears by their products and uses them all the time. Here is his website.

http://www.marksdwg.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by forestb View Post
I have a bigger problem here in Burbank CA. It is now illegal to wash your own car in Burbank because of the drought in California. I don't know what I am going to do after I get my truck back from paint.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE

Last edited by Captainfab; 05-21-2016 at 12:24 AM.
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 08:28 AM   #9
Marla

Never...had my antenna torn off plus one wiper blade
Marla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 08:32 AM   #10
Marla

Quote:
Originally Posted by forestb View Post
If you used the bath water you can wash your vehicle...you need to take a couple of digital photos to prove it...our son did this and the neighbor freaked out...he showed them the photos and the guy said it was a great idea and immediately washed his car...after he took a bath...just saying...Marla
Marla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 08:33 AM   #11
Mike Wessinger

Never. Not on any of my cars, and even though my old truck's paint really is done for, I still wouldn't take it through one. As said above, too many chances of ripping something off. For my cars, I would be concerned I was running through right after some kid got back from mudding in his truck, and the brushes would be hiding all sorts of grit and scratch up my car. That may or may not happen, but I haven't seen the need to risk it either.
Old 05-21-2016, 10:17 AM   #12
Brandons63

I second the dry wash motion if you can't use water. We use a product called No-Wet on our helicopters and the stuff works surprisingly well I have to admit. U experiment with a lot of different cleaners in my profession trying to find the one that works the best, the fastest, and the cheapest. Top two degreasers-- purple power and aircraft extreme simple green (this stuff in truly amazing). I also like using acid on very soiled paint, chrome, and aluminum.. Phosphoric acid works great on stainless.. It's amazing how it eats the rust and other corrosion . You can see the before and after of the acid bath on my build thread. No scrubbing, spray on spray off. And between washes try some McGuires quick detailer.. The stuff in the red bottle. Not the new black one. Works well to keep the paint clean and from attracting the dirt. Little off topic but maybe someone finds it useful
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...t=Corvette+327
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=704329
Brandons63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 03:40 PM   #13
curvedglass

I admit to it. We have one down the road from my work. Get corp discount too. They use a neoprene set of brushes that are softer than the normal nylon. I see black BMW's, Caddy's, Benz's come out looking fine. My well water is so hard that even after the biggest softener you can buy - it still leaves etching spots. So any way the car wash guy has to hold up the top roller brush when i go thru. the first time the brush got stuck on the sun visor over the windshield and they had to stop the line to come get me. Other than it works good. even a wheel brush for the white letters.
Old 05-21-2016, 07:27 PM   #14
forestb

That is hilarious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marla View Post
If you used the bath water you can wash your vehicle...you need to take a couple of digital photos to prove it...our son did this and the neighbor freaked out...he showed them the photos and the guy said it was a great idea and immediately washed his car...after he took a bath...just saying...Marla
forestb is offline   Reply With Quote