The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-21-2016, 07:01 PM   #1
Chknlyps2

Decent shape 64 I picked up

I got this 64 C20 last weekend and it is in surprisingly good shape. I am the 3rd owner and it was pretty unmolested as time went by. I call her #7. Here are a couple of pics, the last 3 are a before and after of a spot on the trim I am trying to shine up, 0000 steel wool and Flitz metal polish followed by some more Flitz on a buffer. I have about 30 minutes into this little 6 inch section and it is slow going but will look much better when done.
Attached Images

Chknlyps2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 07:16 PM   #2
roll_the_dice

Re: Decent shape 64 I picked up

Congrats....looks good. What plans do you have with it...full restoration, DD, etc?

Amazing what a little elbow grease and the right product will do. I love chrome...real chrome!
roll_the_dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 07:31 PM   #3
NevEno

Very nice score love the color!!
NevEno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 07:33 PM   #4
Ronzo

Beautiful truck.
Ronzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 09:45 PM   #5
Mathew21

Nice find!
Old 05-21-2016, 09:56 PM   #6
Chknlyps2

Quote:
Originally Posted by roll_the_dice View Post
Congrats....looks good. What plans do you have with it...full restoration, DD, etc?
Amazing what a little elbow grease and the right product will do. I love chrome...real chrome!
Thanks!
Right now the plans are to just drive it and replace a few things, it is so close to being in original that I don't want to mess with it to much. Turn signals all work and turn off with a turn of the wheel like they should, wipers, high/low beam lights, heater all work. It drives straight, stops straight, 3 on the tree shifts fine, 283 runs like a top. It even has the factory jack/crank handle, lug wrench and tire iron for the split rims. Had a camper on it most of its life so the bed wood is decent but the tail gate is straight and dent free.

Things that are not stock that I have found so far are... seat cover, mirrors (but the factory mirror was under the seat) wheels (still has the 17.5 split rim spare under the bed) exhaust piping and cigarette lighter.

It needs a windshield, door rubbers & window channel felt and the passenger window only rolls down 3/4 of the way then gets all loose like it is going to fall off the tracks. I have 2 other 64's and a 66 with working windows that I can rob parts off of. Also has the usual fender rust and the passenger door has some rust bubbles at both bottom corners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevEno View Post
Very nice score love the color!!
Thank You! The seller swore it was original paint but as soon as I opened the drivers door I showed him the over spray on the door rubber and some of the trim was not taped well and has paint on it. I am going to buff it out and enjoy it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronzo View Post
Beautiful truck.
Thank You!

Wet sanded with some 1000 grit sandpaper first this time and it went a little faster but there are spots that need more work. It was cheap Harbor Freight 1000 grit and it only took 2 or 3 minutes to wear the abrasive off. I am going to the local hardware store in the morning and get better paper.
Attached Images

Old 05-21-2016, 09:59 PM   #7
Chknlyps2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew21 View Post
Nice find!
Thank You!

I will post some more pics later after I help my daughter put a taillight bulb in her car
Old 05-21-2016, 10:26 PM   #8
Brandons63

You need to try acid!! You will be amazed! Spray on spray off chrome looks new! U just have to be careful on aluminum. It's cheap and fast. I'm telling you this stuff works. Pro power acid wash. See my build thread. Will also take many years of crud off the paint if you delute it. Just need to wax afterwords. I used it on my 2015 Cummins to remove the mineral deposits on the paint and Windows from sitting in the lot for so long getting hosed off every week
Attached Images

Brandons63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 11:21 PM   #9
Chknlyps2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandons63 View Post
You need to try acid!! You will be amazed! Spray on spray off chrome looks new! U just have to be careful on aluminum. It's cheap and fast. I'm telling you this stuff works. Pro power acid wash. See my build thread. Will also take many years of crud off the paint if you delute it. Just need to wax afterwords. I used it on my 2015 Cummins to remove the mineral deposits on the paint and Windows from sitting in the lot for so long getting hosed off every week
Thanks Brandon, I just looked at your thread... that stuff looks like it worked pretty good. Where did you get it at? I checked out the companys web site and it is only sold by their distributors and they don't list them. You have to submit a form with a company name to have them contact you.

I have a couple comments to post on your thread in a little bit.
Old 05-21-2016, 11:27 PM   #10
Brandons63

If you go to your local new car dealers or auto detailing shops, you might be able to hook up with their supplier. That's what I did. I went to the local Honda dealership as I saw them use this to remove water spots on my wife's new odyssey. I originally purchased it to clean my new windows on my house that got hit by the sprinkler. I've been experimenting with it ever since. We even purchased 15 gallons of it at work to use in our truck shop. We tested it on some mag wheels, chrome and paint on a coworkers ratty old ford so I could present it to the rest of the guys. After 15 minutes the results were nuts. Looked new again.
Old 05-22-2016, 12:45 AM   #11
Chknlyps2

More pics
Attached Images

Old 05-22-2016, 01:01 AM   #12
Chknlyps2

At some point a 1964 penny was soldered to the top of the radiator, I thought it was a cool idea but they were a little generous with the solder.

I had AAA tow the truck on the 95 mile trip from where I bought it in Ontario CA to my place, when I got home I drove it through the gate and up the driveway and my 21 yr old daughter came out and wanted to be the first to drive it around. A quick lesson on how to use a 3 on the tree and we took off. She did great, didn't stall it and never missed a shift on a 10 mile drive with several stops.
Attached Images

Old 05-22-2016, 01:03 AM   #13
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Nice looking '64

I would try some oven cleaner on that aluminum trim first. The trim was originally clear anodized, which is still likely on there to some extent. Once the clear is removed, the polishing goes a little quicker.

That acid for the aluminum can be found at truck stops or places that sell parts for heavy trucks. Truckers use it all the time to clean up all the aluminum on their tractors and trailers. You may not find that exact brand, but another brand of the same acid.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 01:14 AM   #14
Chknlyps2

Engine pics, all the harness is still clipped in place and looks in good shape. The snorkel on the air cleaner was hacked off and holes were drilled in the top. I found one on ebay and made a best offer today and the seller accepted. It was cleaned up and painted.
Attached Images

Old 05-22-2016, 01:19 AM   #15
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

Nice truck!!!
TJ's Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 01:25 AM   #16
Chknlyps2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
Nice looking '64

I would try some oven cleaner on that aluminum trim first. The trim was originally clear anodized, which is still likely on there to some extent. Once the clear is removed, the polishing goes a little quicker.

That acid for the aluminum can be found at truck stops or places that sell parts for heavy trucks. Truckers use it all the time to clean up all the aluminum on their tractors and trailers. You may not find that exact brand, but another brand of the same acid.
At one point when I started polishing I thought about it possibly being anodized, that is why I switched to sand paper. I made aluminum bumpers for RC cars years ago and sold them to Hobbytown and on ebay. The raw barstock was anodized and I sanded it to clean up the bends and remove anodizing prior to polishing. The feel and sound of sanding the trim reminded me of the RC bumpers.

Thanks Captainfab!
Old 05-22-2016, 06:57 AM   #17
Brandons63

Here is a site u should be able to buy from???
http://www.detailsupplyoutlet.com/item.htm?item_num=191
Old 05-22-2016, 07:33 PM   #18
Chknlyps2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandons63 View Post
Here is a site u should be able to buy from???
http://www.detailsupplyoutlet.com/item.htm?item_num=191
Thanks, I will call them tomorrow.