The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-22-2016, 10:42 AM   #1
duke46

What is Missing. Trying to help customer

Hi guys, I am a powder coater and have been coating some 53 Chevy truck parts for this guy over the last year.

Beside some other parts he brought me a muffler clamp but it is missing the hanger. It was either cut or broke off. I can fix it but need to know how it should look and then repair and coat it for him.

Do you have any pictures or know someone that has a restored truck I might could contact and get more info. I have looked on the net and no luck except for one place that has a light weight band that I would guess will work for him if all else fails.

Thanks
Attached Images

duke46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 11:14 AM   #2
Advanced Design

Re: What is Missing. Trying to help customer

Duke,

Is this what you are looking for? https://www.chevsofthe40s.com/detail...oduction_.html

It looks like the tail pipe hanger I took off my 48 Suburban.
Attached Images

Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 11:54 AM   #3
duke46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advanced Design View Post
Duke,

Is this what you are looking for? https://www.chevsofthe40s.com/detail...oduction_.html

It looks like the tail pipe hanger I took off my 48 Suburban.
The one for this 53 wraps around the muffler and is like 6" in dia.
Old 05-22-2016, 12:22 PM   #4
Advanced Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke46 View Post
The one for this 53 wraps around the muffler and is like 6" in dia.
https://www.chevsofthe40s.com/detail...er_Hanger.html
Attached Images

Old 05-22-2016, 12:43 PM   #5
duke46

Quote:
Thanks
I had seen that one and then one other. Now to find the other one and then let him know.

Without knowing how his org one was made and what it hangs onto then hard to fix something when one knows nothing about it????

His old truck belonged to his granddad and he is trying to restore it back like it was if he can. But some things can't be bought any longer.

If the truck was here then we could figure out what the part need and then fix it. That is why I was wanting a picture of an org one. That might not be easy.
Old 05-22-2016, 04:03 PM   #6
OrrieG

Factory Assembly Manual would show it, all I have is one for 55-57 trucks.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 05:02 PM   #7
duke46

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrieG View Post
Factory Assembly Manual would show it, all I have is one for 55-57 trucks.
That would for sure work and I do have a copy of one for a 55 Chevy car HA HA
Now to find someone with a 53 truck one???
Old 05-23-2016, 07:44 AM   #8
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Is this what your looking for duke? I don't think what you have is the same but this is from the manual for a 53
Attached Images

mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 08:43 AM   #9
duke46

Thumbs up Re: What is Missing. Trying to help customer

You are very correct on the part he gave me being wrong. I will get this info to him along with the link to the proper strap.

But the piece that the strap holds will be another story and would have to be made unless someone just has one they took off when they put a new type exhaust under theirs. It does not show in the diagram what the two arms fit into? Unless it shows them on another page maybe?

So the search begins I guess.

Thanks guys for the help

I will look at what is offered here on the forum and see if there is a place to post looking for parts or just make another post.
Old 05-23-2016, 09:17 AM   #10
duke46

Question Re: What is Missing. Trying to help customer

Well I found a place to post what I am looking for on the parts board but it will not let me post?
Best guess is I have to be a paid member maybe and that I might understand if selling parts but hard to understand if I am looking for a part.

There should be a place to list when looking for something so my best guess at this time is to start a new thread on this part of the forum.

Any one have any advice for me on this?
Old 05-23-2016, 09:24 AM   #11
DransportGarage

I looked at LMC, Classic Industries and Brothers Truck Parts and did not find that clamp. It does look fairly easy to fab something though, or maybe someone here has an old one.
Bob's Retirement Build - My 55 TF
Bob's 700R4 Build (how-to)
DransportGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 09:32 AM   #12
DransportGarage

Quote:
Well I found a place to post what I am looking for on the parts board but it will not let me post?
Best guess is I have to be a paid member maybe and that I might understand if selling parts but hard to understand if I am looking for a part.

There should be a place to list when looking for something so my best guess at this time is to start a new thread on this part of the forum.

Any one have any advice for me on this?
Here are the rules for parts activities:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a....php?f=13&a=17

You have to be at least a Premium Member to start a post, but you can respond. I'd recommend your customer becoming a forum member, and maybe going for the $25/year. He/she will get that much out of the info alone!
Old 05-23-2016, 10:36 AM   #13
duke46

Quote:
Originally Posted by DransportGarage View Post
I looked at LMC, Classic Industries and Brothers Truck Parts and did not find that clamp. It does look fairly easy to fab something though, or maybe someone here has an old one.
The band clamp is available but the bracket that fits under it and then I guess would slide into a couple of rubber hangers of course is not. I can't even find any pictures of an OEM muffler installed. What the arms slide into might be found it one knew what they really looked like.

He has been real lucky with this truck because it has been in the family and I have coated a lot of parts for him and also we did some repair work on the tire hanger that goes under the truck but I think he is going with the side mount he said. I restored a couple of the wheels and then he had to order a couple more. Boy if he didn't get shafted on the price and shipping on them and they were not in the best of shape. He is a young marine and not eBay person and he didn't even know about eBay until I told him but he could have bought 4 wheels for less than he paid for the two he did get sad to say.

He did tell me it is just about ready to paint so he is slowly getting there. He would be way ahead of the game on his exhaust if he would just have someone put a new one under it.

My best friend just bought a 56 f100 panel and I had to join the Ford forum to help find some missing parts for him. He does not even own a computer so I handle every thing for him. He drives it every time he can and it is almost all OEM except has a truck 4 speed in it???
Old 05-23-2016, 10:47 AM   #14
duke46

I just found this on the same site that has the band/strap that was posted and it says it works with the strap but in no way does it look like the one in the manual??? But just maybe it is the correct piece. I just looked at the manual picture again and realized that it mounts to the frame. The way the drawing was made I thought there were a rod that went across it but what I was seeing was the frame.

https://www.chevsofthe40s.com/detail..._to_Frame.html

Looks to me that this case is closed.

Thanks for all the help.
Old 05-23-2016, 02:01 PM   #15
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Reread yout post and I noticed you never mentioned what model the truck was..that first pic i put up was for a 3100..here is a pic of one for the 3600 3800 4000 6000 series..the 3100 mounts to the crossmember..the others mount inside the frame rail..there still not the same as the one you found..unless he's doing a 100% resto I would just make the bracket you found work..99.99999% of people looking at it wouldn't know the difference.
Attached Images

Old 05-23-2016, 02:41 PM   #16
duke46

Thanks for the extra info on the muffler. Guess is it would be the 3100? I am going to get with him this evening and then I will know for sure.

Thanks and I have now saved both of them.
Old 05-23-2016, 05:40 PM   #17
Advanced Design

Hey Duke, the muffler clamp ...344194...in the factory assembly manual looks the same for half ton 3100 and up. And it looks like the part from Chev of the 40's.

I hate to hear the young man was shafted on purchasing wheels and especially since he is a Marine. Maybe you could suggest he participate here for advice on the rest of his restoration? There are a lot of good people on here that really know these trucks. Nice of you to be helping him.

You powder coat wheels? My local place wouldn't do it, even when I offered to provide a release from warranty.
Old 05-23-2016, 06:46 PM   #18
duke46

Quote:
Hey Duke, the muffler clamp ...344194...in the factory assembly manual looks the same for half ton 3100 and up. And it looks like the part from Chev of the 40's.

I hate to hear the young man was shafted on purchasing wheels and especially since he is a Marine. Maybe you could suggest he participate here for advice on the rest of his restoration? There are a lot of good people on here that really know these trucks. Nice of you to be helping him.

You powder coat wheels? My local place wouldn't do it, even when I offered to provide a release from warranty.
What is so bad about the wheels was the amount of time I had to spend on all 5 of them and smooth them out so I ever coat them. My time cost him a lot and yep I did earn it.

I just sent him the link on all the parts he needs for the exhaust including new pipes and muffler. He wanted me to ceramic coat the main pipe and yep I can do it but it looks so bad and not even sure what it will look like even after I ceramic coat it and then how long it will last? I do what is ask most of the time but sometimes I just will not do it if new parts can be had a good price.

I am not even sure if he would know what to do with a forum ????

I am 70 and been doing FORUM's for many years HA HA
Old 05-23-2016, 06:56 PM   #19
duke46

I just updated my profile so you guys will know more about this old man and I know there are guys close to me and if they can't find anyone to powder coat what they want then by golly they can call and just maybe I can or send them to someone that has a larger oven. I can't do frames and never want to do them.

Thanks for all the advise and help guys
Old 05-23-2016, 08:44 PM   #20
DransportGarage

Quote:
I just updated my profile so you guys will know more about this old man and I know there are guys close to me and if they can't find anyone to powder coat what they want then by golly they can call and just maybe I can or send them to someone that has a larger oven. I can't do frames and never want to do them.

Thanks for all the advise and help guys
Sounds like your customer found "lightning in a bottle" when he found you. Good luck to you, and "Semper Fi" to the customer!
Old 05-30-2016, 01:07 PM   #21
duke46

My customer has ordered the correct parts for his muffler thanks to you guys but now I have another one.

He brought me his hood hinges so I coated all the parts + 4 bolts but I knew I was missing something. I call them shoulder bolts that the hinges ride on and I did find them and also ask him. He had no idea of what a shoulder bolt was or what they would even look like so I drew him a picture and he said he would look but didn't remember seeing them. Well something had to be there for sure right or wrong so you could raise and lower the hood.

I sent him a link on where to buy them but failed to tell him that I think he will need two per side. Is that correct?

Thanks
Old 05-30-2016, 07:56 PM   #22
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Last edited by mongocanfly; 05-30-2016 at 08:02 PM.
Old 05-30-2016, 08:01 PM   #23
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Hood hinge assembly...
Attached Images

Old 05-31-2016, 08:16 AM   #24
duke46

Thanks, But looks like I sent the guy a link and not the right ones. All of these or for cars and not trucks!

I can't make the numbers out on the pictures very well. Maybe you can see them better or at least I hope so.

Here is the link I sent him so I have to try again and also tell him to just forget the one I did send him.

https://www.chevsofthe40s.com/dept/Hood/cat/Hinges.html
Old 05-31-2016, 08:29 AM   #25
Advanced Design

Morning Duke,

Here is a link for the truck...https://www.chevsofthe40s.com/shop/s...&searchtype=FT

Maybe same as car?