The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-22-2016, 05:29 PM   #1
MidLifer

Things that make you go &*%$#@#$

Like when you don't re-check the lift pads and this happens. And when you are in the middle of an engine swap and your truck is tail-heavy. Paid the stupid tax, at least nobody was under it at the time.

(Pay no attention to the lift forks on the far side of the pic, they moved in the "incident" and were not like that to begin with).

So the question becomes - fix or replace? It's the original bed and has a toolbox, and is otherwise fairly straight and rust-free (ex-AZ truck) and I don't think I'll find anything here in salt land that hasn't rusted to powder. Maybe when I'm done with the swap I'll consider a road trip if I find a good one elsewhere in the country.

If anyone knows a good metal man in the Philly area lemme know.
Attached Images

MidLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 05:35 PM   #2
Crazed

Re: Things that make you go &*%$#@#$

Ouch, that sucks.

At least no one was hurt.
Crazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 06:59 PM   #3
Whitlock

Have it fixed. I could pop that out in no time and if it was closer I would. Metal has memory, it will go back fairly easy might need a shrink or two and new paint but fixable.
Whitlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 07:21 PM   #4
davepl

That'll keep you honest with the lift though. I find it takes exactly 1 incident before you get real careful. In my case the two sides weren't synchronized, I wasn't watching the other side, and I almost tipped the truck over!

Now I check and re-check and watch everything super-carefullly. I got away with my mistake, sorry it didn't work out as well for you (but I've done worse!)
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 08:04 PM   #5
Gmc.guy

Red face Re: Things that make you go &*%$#@#$

Hey, it beats backing up at the farm tanks so the hose will reach the slip tank ... And bending the driver door half forward in the old mans truck...
Old 05-22-2016, 08:23 PM   #6
MidLifer

Yep, could have been a hell of a lot worse. Time to break out that old classic "The Key To Metal Bumping" and refresh my memory (and that of the sheet metal), I guess.
Old 05-22-2016, 10:18 PM   #7
swamp rat

Even if your not confident bumping metal there is bound to be someone in your area that can, sometimes inexperience can make it worse. Definitely fixable.

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 10:32 PM   #8
Grumpy old man

Fugetaboutit ! , Youz in south Jerzey , lotza body shops tat side ofza bridge ,What exit ? I's gotta cousinz downs dat whay , youz got cash forda fix ?

Just jump under there and do a 2 hand pull up and 70% of that will go away .

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop

Last edited by Grumpy old man; 05-22-2016 at 10:38 PM.
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 07:04 AM   #9
MidLifer

G.O.M. I live in the "other New Jersey". I think you'd find it more like Tennessee in many ways than what you imagine. There are working farms in my town and about 10 miles east are the Pinelands where you can 4-wheel, hike or canoe for miles without seeing civilization. Also the accent here tends more toward the Philly Quaker descendents who say "wudder" instead of water and drop the word "to" from "going down to the shore" or "going up to the mountains". Only here we grow blueberries and cranberries instead of cotton and tobacco...

Now, I grew up in -that- New Jersey you are talking about and the reputation is well-deserved...

Anyway, if the good old Virginia boy that is working on my 50 ever gets it done I may give him this to do, under strict time limits of course. He doesn't seem to get that he's north of the line now and we have things to get done up here!
Old 05-23-2016, 10:38 AM   #10
88Ironduke

Sheet metal can be fixed. Big old heavy trucks dropping on you leave no room for stories later. Glad you're ok.

Paul

My Build Thread: Project 72' Green
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=587932
88Ironduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 11:49 AM   #11
old Chevy guy

I friend of mine rented a garage bay and decided to have a new lift installed. The company that sold the lift came up and inspected the site and decided they were all good and installed the lift. The next day my friend was picking up a two year old ford pickup and as the lift came up the post that was away from the control pulled out of the concrete and leaned over as the truck was going up and crushed in the edge of the roof and pretty effectively destroyed the door on that side. The bay was an addition to the origanal gas station building and the floor on that side was really the old sidewalk that was outside before. No one was injured ( not counting the ford) and just as luckily for the friend the lift company was liable for the damage as they inspected and approved the concrete.
old Chevy guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 02:42 PM   #12
toolboxchev

Yes that little mutha, yet definetely fixable for the right guy.

Lets see some pics of that tool box and how it finished out with some open shots!

Your truck still is awesome, I have run mine everyday for the last 10 years as daily driver!
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 08:37 AM   #13
Daman

Wow, brings back memories.

My actual first pickup, ochre '70 was my Gramps farm pickup. I was out feeding (put it in low, get out and jump in the back and start cutting bales off the back). I did it hundreds of times but this one single time I hit my knee going over the side of the bed. I went straight to the ground. I couldn't get up because the weird pain and my knee wouldn't bend.

Anyway, the pickup hit a hard road apple and veered right toward a small ditch. Front went down and came up over the other side then the rear went down and somehow didn't make it over the other side. After what felt like hours but was only minutes I was able to get up and get to the truck. It drove out easy but the drivers side bed was dented. The dent was very similar to this one on the drivers side. Only a bit more rounded. I did what G.O.M. suggested and grabbed with both hands and pulled, yanked and cussed until it came out. I couldn't tell and figured no one else could either. No paint was missing and it looked like nothing happened. As I pulled next to the shop my Dad and Grampa were looking at me/the pickup funny. I figured they already knew. I parked, got out and they were talking about the huge dent in the side of the bed above the molding. I didn't see it. They asked if a cow hit it? I didn't lie and said "No, why? They pointed it out to me and then it was very noticeable.

To make a long story even longer. When I got the pickup a couple years later the dent bugged me something fierce. I ended up taking a plunger and plunging the dent out and it would stay that way for a little bit then pop back in. I cut a 2X4 to fit tight between the outer and inner bed to keep it pushed out. No dent left. It stayed like that for three years until I sold it after Senior year of high school before going to college.

Oh the weird pain in my knee ended up being Osgood Schlatter disease. LOL
Daman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 11:36 AM   #14
Coley

Smile Re: Things that make you go &*%$#@#$

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepl View Post
.........I find it takes exactly 1 incident before you get real careful
....yep, this is very true.
Unfortunately, but very correctly...'failure is the best teacher'....
...been there, done that...lol.

all Good
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 05:58 PM   #15
MidLifer

So sounds like pulling from below is the preferred method. I was thinking an engineer's hammer from above right at the apex of the dent on the lower rail. Something about reversing the energy I remember from The Key...
Old 05-28-2016, 07:15 PM   #16
In The Ten Ring

Buddy I am sorry that happened to you. I hope you can get it fixed and fixed correctly.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote