The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-23-2016, 02:51 PM   #1
hewittca

To fix this bedside or not, that is the question...

Hi all. I was hoping some of you could chime in with any experience, knowledge, or suggestions on fixing dents/creases in some old bedside sheetmetal. I have a mostly original '68 C10 that I am trying to clean up. There's just one flaw in the whole "original paint" that appealed to me on this truck, someone put a nice crease in the passenger bedside. I'm wondering if it would be possible to repair this to preserve the paint, of if you guys would just start with a fresh bedside and try to match the patina. If it helps to make the decision easier, I do plan on shortening the truck in the future. I do like the idea of just throwing on some repro short sides, but I also like the idea of the money (and patina!) I'd save shortening these.... IF it wouldn't be a headache straightening this back out. Opinions? Suggestions? Thanks!

hewittca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 03:40 PM   #2
toolboxchev

Re: To fix this bedside or not, that is the question...

If it were mine I would leave it, that truck looks nice in its patina and wheels.

Something to be said for vehicles showing their true age and looks still working! I know when I got mine I wanted it to be perfect in every way. Now I just focus on keeping it running its best which includes changing every fluid and doing the usual tune up. I get respect on the road when hitting the throttle. It hits 4 grand in rpms almost instantly.

Not like those throttle body injected pretty vehicles.
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 03:56 PM   #3
hewittca

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolboxchev View Post
If it were mine I would leave it, that truck looks nice in its patina and wheels.

Something to be said for vehicles showing their true age and looks still working! I know when I got mine I wanted it to be perfect in every way. Now I just focus on keeping it running its best which includes changing every fluid and doing the usual tune up. I get respect on the road when hitting the throttle. It hits 4 grand in rpms almost instantly.

Not like those throttle body injected pretty vehicles.
That is definitely an option too, and what I'm holding onto right now. I've just completed a full tune up and it runs so well, and I've been using it for it's intended purpose, to haul stuff!
Old 05-23-2016, 06:00 PM   #4
cleszkie

I would perhaps have the big dent partially pulled out without mucking up the paint too much, and leave the tighter creases alone.
cleszkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 08:26 PM   #5
66clow

If you don't feel comfortable I'd have some one get in there and knock it out as much of it you could. Most patina trucks have some dents or dings that still make them cool looking. The old paint is pretty durable. It wouldn't take some one long with the right tools.
66clow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 08:31 PM   #6
kilrcady

Very fixable.Google paintless dent repair
kilrcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 08:30 AM   #7
hewittca

Thanks for the suggestions. To be honest, I was half expecting everyone to just say, throw a new bedside on there! I will probably see how much of it I can pull out and then go from there.
Old 05-24-2016, 11:53 AM   #8
Whitlock

It is fixable.
Some hammer and dolly work will get most of it.
The paint will hold up well also.
Whitlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 09:18 PM   #9
hugger6933

The problem with hammer and dolly work is the access to the damaged area. You not gonna be able to dolly it is you can't get to it.
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 09:38 PM   #10
GR8-68

Leave it, nice ole truck you have there, there is a purpose and a story behind those dents I am no far from you
GR8-68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 09:40 PM   #11
GR8-68

I have a set of short sides and header panel I will make you a deal on if you are interested
Old 05-24-2016, 09:53 PM   #12
Msaslp

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR8-68 View Post
I have a set of short sides and header panel I will make you a deal on if you are interested
How much are you wanting for the bedsides? I need a set for a 69 or just a whole bed.
Msaslp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 10:44 PM   #13
GR8-68

I have them listed in classifieds section
Old 05-24-2016, 10:48 PM   #14
66clow

Another option cut into the wheel house for access and then weld it back up.
Old 05-24-2016, 11:07 PM   #15
Gromit

That IS a very nice example of a well preserved C10

I've never done this but couldn't you unbolt the wheel house by removing the nuts on the carriage bolts? - (the tops of which you can see in the bed).

Then as far as the dents I have had some luck getting the biggest parts of some dents out just using a rubber mallet. This works better on round dents - when there is a crease you need to be more careful and try to ease the dent out in reverse of the sequence in which the metal bent. Then (this part is just in my mind but..) I like to let the sun heat it up first - just 30 minutes or so - I have no evidence but I think it might make the paint less brittle if it is hot.

The patina is nice but did you see that recent post "CLR Before and After"? Wow - that recipe looks like it really calmed down the angry part of the surface rust and kept the patina intact..

Here is a link:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=573256
Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 08:08 AM   #16
hewittca

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR8-68 View Post
Well lookie there, you are pretty close! Hmmm, I hadn't even perused the classifieds for bedsides but that would be quite convenient to pick those up instead. It's a shame about the spotty welding job by the PO though. I would basically just want to prep those and hit them with some paint and try to match the patina. Do you think those sides would turn out ok?
Old 05-25-2016, 08:09 AM   #17
hewittca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromit View Post
That IS a very nice example of a well preserved C10

I've never done this but couldn't you unbolt the wheel house by removing the nuts on the carriage bolts? - (the tops of which you can see in the bed).

Then as far as the dents I have had some luck getting the biggest parts of some dents out just using a rubber mallet. This works better on round dents - when there is a crease you need to be more careful and try to ease the dent out in reverse of the sequence in which the metal bent. Then (this part is just in my mind but..) I like to let the sun heat it up first - just 30 minutes or so - I have no evidence but I think it might make the paint less brittle if it is hot.

The patina is nice but did you see that recent post "CLR Before and After"? Wow - that recipe looks like it really calmed down the angry part of the surface rust and kept the patina intact..

Here is a link:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=573256
Thank you! Yes, I've been looking through some of the CLR threads and do plan on trying it out as soon as I get a chance. I want to just clean up the paint that is there and try to tame down the surface rust that has started.
Old 05-28-2016, 09:03 PM   #18
hewittca

And the answer is...

replace with original shortbed sides! G8-68 had a good deal on bedsides and lives fairly close, so we struck a deal and I picked them up today. I will include the details of the conversion in my build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=701359
Old 05-29-2016, 10:39 AM   #19
snipescastle2

Talking Re: To fix this bedside or not, that is the question...

I had one of my bedsides that didn't look too bad when I first got it, but it had filler cracking out above the wheel arch, and once I stripped the paint off, it had like 98 slide hammer screw holes...... what to do? buy an aftermarket bedside? or patch my existing one? I went with the patch fix...

Vic Cook (Crusty Rusty Leaky Squeaky) from the forum said he would lend his metal working skills and finesse to help me out of my predicament..... The only real problem we encountered was the tail light area was badly dented and required a lot of tweaking to get it into shape, but Vic did an outstanding job of keeping everything straight as an arrow and making my repair look so easy.... but it was better than the alternative idea of buying an aftermarket bedside, and taking a gamble that it might fit well....Glad I had Vic there to Help out!!! Thanks Vic!
Ben

here are some pictures of the repair before and after!
Attached Images

snipescastle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 11:03 AM   #20
66clow

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipescastle2 View Post
I had one of my bedsides that didn't look too bad when I first got it, but it had filler cracking out above the wheel arch, and once I stripped the paint off, it had like 98 slide hammer screw holes...... what to do? buy an aftermarket bedside? or patch my existing one? I went with the patch fix...

Vic Cook (Crusty Rusty Leaky Squeaky) from the forum said he would lend his metal working skills and finesse to help me out of my predicament..... The only real problem we encountered was the tail light area was badly dented and required a lot of tweaking to get it into shape, but Vic did an outstanding job of keeping everything straight as an arrow and making my repair look so easy.... but it was better than the alternative idea of buying an aftermarket bedside, and taking a gamble that it might fit well....Glad I had Vic there to Help out!!! Thanks Vic!
Ben

here are some pictures of the repair before and after!
Love the site and the people, awesome