The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-24-2016, 12:16 AM   #1
superdav

How low can I go with 10 inch wheels?

I've started buying frame parts for my 84 rebuild and Im going to run 10 inch wheels, I don't want to slam it but I want it lower
How much?
superdav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 01:51 AM   #2
bbbc10
Diggin The SquareLife

Re: How low can I go with 10 inch wheels?

well depends on how low u want u ca go 7" drop with 15x10s depends on backspacing an tire size I had 15x10 with 6"
bbbc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 02:24 PM   #3
Domer

Depends on how much work you want to do.. i have 11" of drop in the front on a 20x10 with 305/30-20..
Domer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 02:40 PM   #4
Custom.Chevy

i called a company in Colorado who built the c10 named ( pot o gold ) its a 73-87 bagged shortbed on 20 x 10 detroit steals. they said the wheels will turn lock to lock while sitting on the ground. i believe them. i put them on my truck and i still have 2 inches of clearance with factory fender wells. any lower and i have to get new tubs front and rear. i dont know my exact drop but a baseball will not roll freely under my exhaust.
Attached Images

Old 05-24-2016, 04:24 PM   #5
bbbc10
Diggin The SquareLife

are you gonna run 15x10s or 20x10 or what??
Old 05-26-2016, 03:58 AM   #6
superdav

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbc10 View Post
are you gonna run 15x10s or 20x10 or what??
depends.... this is the look I want (my truck current configuration) but with different wheels, tires even with the fenders. I don't like the shallow offset with narrower tires, it looks like its standing on its tippy toes

Old 05-26-2016, 08:07 AM   #7
bbbc10
Diggin The SquareLife

Not gonna be able to go low with 15x10 up front
Old 05-26-2016, 09:48 AM   #8
Custom.Chevy

Those 15 by 10 wont tuck in the rear with those tires to my knowledge i was running 15 by 10s on my truck for a while with 295 wide mastercraft tires and what looks to be a similar offset wheels and they would not tuck. Thats why my rear end was so high in the air compared to the front.
Attached Images

Old 05-26-2016, 09:59 AM   #9
Custom.Chevy

If you run a 15 x 10 in the rear or any 10 inch wide rear tire you will have to choose a tire that does not bulge out on the side walls. Basically you could probably run a 12 inch wide rear wheel if you get the correct offset and do some trimming. the front is another story. I believe my wheels on my c10 on the front have always been 8.5 wide in order to clear steering. There is however another route. There is a company that sells a drop spindle (you said you wanted to go lower anyway) that actually pulls the wheel into the center of the truck. This allows for a wider front tire to be mounted on a lowered truck but i imagine you can run into other issues when turning. I wish I had known about them before i purchased my drop spindles. The spindles are from CPP and they pull in the track width 1.125"
Old 05-27-2016, 09:12 AM   #10
superdav

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom.Chevy View Post
If you run a 15 x 10 in the rear or any 10 inch wide rear tire you will have to choose a tire that does not bulge out on the side walls. Basically you could probably run a 12 inch wide rear wheel if you get the correct offset and do some trimming. the front is another story. I believe my wheels on my c10 on the front have always been 8.5 wide in order to clear steering. There is however another route. There is a company that sells a drop spindle (you said you wanted to go lower anyway) that actually pulls the wheel into the center of the truck. This allows for a wider front tire to be mounted on a lowered truck but i imagine you can run into other issues when turning. I wish I had known about them before i purchased my drop spindles. The spindles are from CPP and they pull in the track width 1.125"
LMC has a 2.5 drop spindle that pulls it in .75, I don't think .75 would clear. Who sells the 1.125 one?
And how much is yours dropped?
Old 05-27-2016, 09:45 AM   #11
Custom.Chevy

i wish i knew my drop so i could tell you. i was very young when i started building this truck on my own. It is a combination of a 2.5 drop spindle in the front with a 1.5" lowering spring from mc.goughy . the rear has a 4 inch hanger on the rear mount. ( i had to trim some stuff under the bed for clearence ) . My truck is also a factory HD version. I pulled out a fat stack of leaf springs including the overload spring and i still have what looks to be a pretty standard amount of leafs on the truck.

my honest to god guess would say that im around 4" on the front and 5" on the rear. in my opinion my truck has to muck rake and i would like to drop the rear until it sits level but i need a C notch and a flip kit. and free time lol.
Old 05-27-2016, 11:30 AM   #12
SCOTI

10" wheels can fit in the front & rear of a lowered square body. The critical points will be the OD of the tire, diameter of the wheel, & back spacing.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 01:05 PM   #13
superdav

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
10" wheels can fit in the front & rear of a lowered square body. The critical points will be the OD of the tire, diameter of the wheel, & back spacing.
I don't know anybody else thats done this so i have no idea what the limits are.
I don't want to slam it, i like the factory rake except I want a small lower in it
Old 05-27-2016, 01:30 PM   #14
Domer

These are 20x10, with 2 1/2" drop spindles, 3" drop arms, 2" drop springs, and a 3" notched crossmember. They have a 1.25" spacer. The wheels are 50mm backspace (Appr. 7") Tires are 305/30-20 27.5"x12.5"

Domer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 04:20 PM   #15
Custom.Chevy

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cc/full.aspx?Page=60

this is the LMC link to their suspension. use this as a guide for what look you want. keep in mind the images are on factory height tires as well. a smaller tire will essentially add drop. i wouldn't buy there parts (over priced for the quality ) but it will basically tell you what you need for the drop you want.
Old 05-29-2016, 10:00 AM   #16
superdav

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom.Chevy View Post
http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cc/full.aspx?Page=60

this is the LMC link to their suspension. use this as a guide for what look you want. keep in mind the images are on factory height tires as well. a smaller tire will essentially add drop. i wouldn't buy there parts (over priced for the quality ) but it will basically tell you what you need for the drop you want.
Whose to buy? I've looked at LMC, Classic, Brothers and NPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domer View Post
These are 20x10, with 2 1/2" drop spindles, 3" drop arms, 2" drop springs, and a 3" notched crossmember. They have a 1.25" spacer. The wheels are 50mm backspace (Appr. 7") Tires are 305/30-20 27.5"x12.5"

I would love to hear that beast wind up!

I found this on youtube and this is damn close to the look i want, he doesn't list the tire/wheel sizes or drop, any guesses?
https://youtu.be/fcOh7WDK4mo

or this only with lower profile tires

https://youtu.be/EeojyN8xR4U
Old 05-30-2016, 09:28 PM   #17
superdav

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdav View Post
Whose to buy? I've looked at LMC, Classic, Brothers and NPD

I would love to hear that beast wind up!

I found this on youtube and this is damn close to the look i want, he doesn't list the tire/wheel sizes or drop, any guesses?
https://youtu.be/fcOh7WDK4mo

or this only with lower profile tires

https://youtu.be/EeojyN8xR4U
Any guess on the tire/wheel sizes in the first video?