The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-24-2016, 11:10 PM   #1
jhamelton

Tailgate chain hook damaging paint

Hi guys. I have a 58 stepside that I am doing some work on for a guy. His tailgate chains are brand new with clear covers with the drain hole. they look to be actual replacement chains for this truck. The chain covers do their job, but that actual hook part that goes through the latch is actually damaging the paint. right now he has a bunch of masking tape covering around the hooks and also around the last couple of links and the eyelet on the bed side of the chain. are these covers to short? or is there some way to keep the hooks from damaging the paint? there is no way the chain covers can cover the hook, so how do you stop it from doing damage? thanks.
jhamelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 12:08 AM   #2
mr48chev

Re: Tailgate chain hook damaging paint

Outside of a thin coating of that plastic dip it stuff to cover the hooks I can't think of any way to prevent some paint boogering.

That's the main reason I'll never run tailgate chains on my truck again.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 12:37 AM   #3
Foot Stomper

Look around for some "paint protection film" that you'd put on the gate. It's the product dealerships are putting on the front of of new cars. This may help... Chains aren't a part of the future for my '59 for this reason also.

My 1959 GMC build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=686989
Foot Stomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 12:43 AM   #4
mongocanfly
Post Whore

I'm with mr48 on the no chain rule..3m makes a nice paint protection film that is easily replaced when damaged..you might check with some body shops ..they may have some small pieces you could use..
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 03:05 AM   #5
Daze57

you may want to try surgical tubeing or even heat shrink -----the surgical tubeing -you would prolly need wd-40 to slip it on... or go to the junk yard and look for either vacuum line or tubeing from the wiper bottle . there is all sorts of hose to use there .
good luck !
Daze57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 09:07 AM   #6
1project2many

I accepted long ago that the paint wouldn't stay perfect on my truck. I enjoy driving it and some parts of the truck show its status as an 18 year old restoration that doesn't stay parked every year. I feel the spots on my tailgate are small and do not detract from the overall appearance. The chain protectors, straight from GM, leave black marks on the bed. This is also part of the nature of the original truck. The marks can be removed easily.

I wonder if plastic hooks would do a better job of protecting the paint.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 09:23 AM   #7
MARTINSR

The clear "rock guard" style tape should make a big difference.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Trimb...Q&gclsrc=aw.ds

I am amazed at how much of this I will see on cars these days at work.

They will put it in many pieces over the entire front end. Into the door handle recesses, along the rockers, it can be put anywhere. It's not easy to capture one in a photo so don't think it jumps out at you like this photo, it's really a good idea.

I hadn't even thought about it as I read this thread until Footstomper brought it up, great idea!

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 11:15 AM   #8
CMACDONALD1

what I have done in the past is just give the chains a couple twists before you put it in the eyelet and that stops the chains from being really loose and damaging the paint. I also use this method to shorten safety chains for trailers. works really well.

1972 Cheyenne Short Bed

1958 Apache short fleet

1980 Chevy short bed
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=761005

1959 "Henry"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=670461

1966 Biscayne
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444419

1972 Suburban
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=478828
CMACDONALD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 03:41 PM   #9
Russell Ashley

Be sure to notice that there is an "R" and an "L" stamped into the hook. I'm only posting because I'm not the only one who has missed this and had to go back and change them. It's an easy thing to miss.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 05:22 PM   #10
58CameoAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Ashley View Post
Be sure to notice that there is an "R" and an "L" stamped into the hook. I'm only posting because I'm not the only one who has missed this and had to go back and change them. It's an easy thing to miss.
This is true they are stamped L and R and what i did on my stepside is
reversed the handings and instead of hooking the chain going threw the top of the hole, i inserted (with the handings reversed) the hook going threw the bottom of the hole and this seamed to help keep the hook away from the painted area of the bed, give it a try! fwiw,
Allen
58CameoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 06:12 PM   #11
jhamelton

Awesome. Thanks for the help guys!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-25-2016, 07:26 PM   #12
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58CameoAZ View Post
This is true they are stamped L and R and what i did on my stepside is
reversed the handings and instead of hooking the chain going threw the top of the hole, i inserted (with the handings reversed) the hook going threw the bottom of the hole and this seamed to help keep the hook away from the painted area of the bed, give it a try! fwiw,
Allen
I never knew until this minute that the chains are stamped left and right - you learn something new everyday!

My dad taught me to insert the hook from the bottom-up on his '59 Fleetside and I've always considered it the "right" way to do it. That said, I don't think this would keep the paint from chipping on the tab the hook goes through or where an unprotected chain bumps on the paint. That's always going to be easy to chip.

I considered doing away with my tailgate chains but decided they're part of the charm of a 60 year old truck. On mine I HAVE used piece of "roadie" bicycle inner tubes as they fit tightly on the chain (YOur local bike shop will GIVE you all you can carry out of their trash) Problem is they don't last. They tear after awhile and of course they don't show the polished chain. But clear hoses turn dull or yellow - ugh.

Maybe putting the 3M film on the tab would minimize chipping, I don't know.

How difficult is it to install for the DIY'er?

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 05-25-2016 at 07:39 PM.
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 09:13 PM   #13
Foot Stomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post

Maybe putting the 3M film on the tab would minimize chipping, I don't know.

How difficult is it to install for the DIY'er?
It's very easy with a 50/50 mixture of isopropyl alcohol and water with a drop of dish soap in it.
Soak, soak, and soak some more both sides of the film and the surface you're applying it to with a trigger bottle spritzer. This allows you to place it and move it. When you have it positioned put a finger on a corner and press to secure it. If it's still not right you can lift, soak and try again. Once you've positioned it you can squeegee out the solution from under it.

The more flat the surface the easier it is. Curved surfaces take much training and experience.

Yup...it's very easy...lol

My 1959 GMC build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=686989
Foot Stomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 10:17 PM   #14
greg_h

The hook from the bottom up makes the chains hang prettier as well as keeping the hook from doing it's damage. As mentioned, start the hook from the bottom and rotate it until the long part of the hook is vertical. Works great!
greg_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 10:49 PM   #15
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot Stomper View Post
It's very easy with a 50/50 mixture of isopropyl alcohol and water with a drop of dish soap in it.
Soak, soak, and soak some more both sides of the film and the surface you're applying it to with a trigger bottle spritzer. This allows you to place it and move it. When you have it positioned put a finger on a corner and press to secure it. If it's still not right you can lift, soak and try again. Once you've positioned it you can squeegee out the solution from under it.

The more flat the surface the easier it is. Curved surfaces take much training and experience.

Yup...it's very easy...lol
Excellent, thanks.

On the tailgate chain hook "tabs" I'm guessing you'd do it approximate size then razor off the excess and cut the hole out after it dried?

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 11:33 PM   #16
jhamelton

Thanks guys. I just looked and he does have them on the wrong sides. So that will help. I'm gonna switch those and I have some clear heat shrink tubing I'm gonna try, and if that doesn't look right I'm gonna try the clear film. He's not concerned with the tab chipping. I don't think there is any way to prevent that. It's actually chipping away the edge of the tailgate down the side. I think being on the correct side will correct a lot of that.
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images