The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-25-2016, 03:45 PM   #1
64stpside

What master cyl & brake booster do I have?

Ive been meaning to ask what year this master cyl & booster this is on my truck. It was on it when I got it. As you can seen in the pics, the top holes are not drilled.
64stpside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 11:57 PM   #2
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Re: What master cyl & brake booster do I have?

The master cylinder and proportioning valve look like a '71-'72. More than likely the booster is too. The booster brackets have obviously been modified, but I can not see them very well.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 08:07 AM   #3
64stpside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
The booster brackets have obviously been modified, but I can not see them very well.
I'll get a closer look at the brackets.

I have a few questions.Ive never had a vehicle that had pwr drum brakes. The last time I drove it was the 1st time I got to drive any distance and the brake pedal seemed hard to push. I assume the pedal would still be a little harder to push vs a conventional disk/drum system but how much harder? I'm gonna start it and pull the vac hose to check for vacuum when I get home today to make sure the booster working right.

Last night I was check the net for info on my setup and found this link with great info & pics of 67-72 brake boosters:
http://outintheshop.com/faq/Brakes/brakeinfo.html

According to the 1st pic,I think I have a 3/4 ton booster as that's the only one where the front mc line goes to the rear of the prop valve and the booster looks the same. The 1/2 setups keep that line in the front. Later on (maybe up to a yr) I want to put disk brakes in the front. In the link above he shows that there are differences in a disk vs drum mc. My question is, if I need a booster, I'm putting a mc cyl on as well, I assume I should go ahead and install the disk mc now, or would it cause any issues (I can't believe it would).
Also, should I put another 3/4 ton booster on or get a 1/2 ton setup? Is the 3/4 ton overkill?

Last edited by 64stpside; 05-26-2016 at 08:08 AM. Reason: .
Old 05-26-2016, 02:35 PM   #4
64stpside

Oh.......forgot to ask if I need to remove the proportioning valve as I think that's only for a brake setup that has disks in the system (I'm on 4 wheel drums still.)
Old 05-26-2016, 11:03 PM   #5
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

If your truck still has 4 wheel drum brakes, that master cylinder is not correct and there should not be a proportioning valve.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote