The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-27-2016, 05:05 PM   #1
mountainman907

BRAKES.. Help!

So long story short I slam on my brakes, and as they about hit the floor then follows with no brakes. I find that one of my front lines had split and was shooting out fluid. I thought it was wierd that I lost all brakes. And I mean nothing! I pumped and pumped... Nothing. I replace the front lines and bleed them only a hundred times. Still no brakes. My proportion valve always had a little leak and my brake booster and master cylinder are some what new. It makes sense that it would be the master but I'm kinda clueless now. AND I CANNOT find a proportion valve to save my life. So now I gotta order one. The truck is a 70 k10. The front brakes are off a 77k10 (disk) and the valve has 5 ports. So my line blew and I had something else happen. Any idea? And this is my daily driver. Thanks in advance
Posted via Mobile Device
mountainman907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 04:35 AM   #2
mountainman907

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman907 View Post
So long story short I slam on my brakes, and as they about hit the floor then follows with no brakes. I find that one of my front lines had split and was shooting out fluid. I thought it was wierd that I lost all brakes. And I mean nothing! I pumped and pumped... Nothing. I replace the front lines and bleed them only a hundred times. Still no brakes. My proportion valve always had a little leak and my brake booster and master cylinder are some what new. It makes sense that it would be the master but I'm kinda clueless now. AND I CANNOT find a proportion valve to save my life. So now I gotta order one. The truck is a 70 k10. The front brakes are off a 77k10 (disk) and the valve has 5 ports. So my line blew and I had something else happen. Any idea? And this is my daily driver. Thanks in advance
Posted via Mobile Device

So I replace the master cylinder and proportioning valve. Pressure bled and vacuum bled then. Also bench bled master at first. Pedal still goes to the floor. Anyone know what's up?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-29-2016, 06:14 AM   #3
Jrainman

Re: BRAKES.. Help!

Was it a new or rebuilt mater ,in any case sounds like you got a bad master cylinder......... it happens with either rebuilt or new ones from my experience and it will drive you crazy looking for the problem
Jrainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 06:25 AM   #4
mountainman907

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrainman View Post
Was it a new or rebuilt mater ,in any case sounds like you got a bad master cylinder......... it happens with either rebuilt or new ones from my experience and it will drive you crazy looking for the problem
yeah for sure. There acting kinda wierd when I bleed them. The pedal never gets hard. Just goes to the floor.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-29-2016, 09:11 AM   #5
snipescastle2

Talking Re: BRAKES.. Help!

yeah, ditto on rebuilt ones. I have always been told to spend the extra money on a new master cylinder, as the rebuild kits always fail, I'd even be Leary of remanufactured ones.....hope you got it parked safe and sound...
Ben

p.s. I used to work for a company that specialized in brake jobs, when I first started working there, I remember walking in the shop and seeing all these metal work benches in front of the stalls that were "Bent" up pretty badly, I asked what happened, and the shop smart a$$ replied that was from cars with no brakes!!! Yikes........nothing like trying to find the E brake, and hope that it works when you need it!!!! or hope the reverse works in the transmission!!! LOL

snipescastle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 07:32 AM   #6
mountainman907

So I finally figured it out after a gallon of brake fluid trying to bleed them over and over. Realized the calipers on the front were on the wrong side so the bleeders were aiming down. Swapped them and they bled fine. Strange
Posted via Mobile Device