The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-29-2016, 12:12 AM   #1
sawyerrm

ebay honesty

So I'm trolling thru eBay and come across this nice high-end truck. Scrolling down I see several pictures of the bed, each covered by a rubber mat. I ask the seller to provide pictures of the bed w/o the mat, which he promptly does. Clearly the bed is not as nice as the rest of the truck but not awful. What bothers me is that this defect was not initially disclosed and in fact hidden.

So is that dishonest? My wife says no b/c the seller quickly addressed the issue by sending pictures. Are my expectations too high?
Attached Images

sawyerrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 12:43 AM   #2
68bowtie

Re: ebay honesty

although you can't expect a seller to disclose every defect of a vehicle, it sure seems like this guy was trying to cover up some bad areas. i would not call it dishonest since he sent you the pictures, but certainly shady and makes you wonder what else is covered up.

Survivor "Lil’ Mint" (67 c10 40k mile light green original paint)
Project "C10 Fever" (68 factory black 396 swb)
Project "Little Sister" (70 c10 blue original paint refresh)
Project "Blue Bomb" (70 c30 blue original paint refresh) SOLD
Project "Vitamin C" (71 c10 orange original paint refresh) SOLD
68bowtie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 01:15 AM   #3
mike16

yea, its dishonest. he may have disclosed the info to you but what about everyone else watching it. Its dishonest.

the bed does not look that bad but it begs two additional questions

his intent indicates dishonesty?

and

what else did he fail to disclose simply because you did not ask

personaly, I think the bed is pretty good and the fact that he disclosed information asap. but why hide it. its not that bad, why not post good images to begin with. If people conceal significant issues in the description or images. I become gun shy almost imeadiatly.

A friend of mine used to pack parachutes in the military. He was very proud of his work. he claimed that nobody ever complained that thier parachute failed to open

Last edited by mike16; 05-29-2016 at 01:26 AM.
mike16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 01:24 AM   #4
TheCougarine

I looked at this same truck on there. I'm going to guess since there are plenty of detailed pictures of the truck, including ones with it up on a rack, that its probably just an oversight. It doesn't look like theres even really anything to cover up there. Its a dealership so I'd imagine the truck came to them with the cover in it and no one bothered to pull it out before posting it online. Thats just my opinion.
TheCougarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 01:59 AM   #5
HeloCrewChief

I honestly think the bed looks fine. I was expecting to see a big hole cut out or rust holes. I honestly think the buyers on eBay are unrealistic in their expectations. It's like nothing I've experienced on either side of buying or selling in person at a local swap meet or car show. Some of the bidders on eBay expect an absolutely mint perfect vehicle.
1968 Chevelle
1964 Comet Caliente
1990 W250 Cummins
HeloCrewChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 02:01 AM   #6
leddzepp

No it's not dishonest. You asked a question and he answered it.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 08:51 AM   #7
sprint_9

Perhaps misleading is a more appropriate word to describe this.
sprint_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 09:14 AM   #8
Andy4639
Old member

Question Re: ebay honesty

The guy has a bed cover in his truck and you call him dishonest! Why? He answered your question pronto! With pictures. That is honesty. I have a bed cover in mine and I'm not hiding anything. I want to protect it.
I don't pull it up and show it to everybody when it's at a show.

It's the buyer who should ask the right questions before buying! I don't see anything wrong with it myself even the bed but if I was looking to buy it I would be having him send me a bunch of pictures of it.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 09:31 AM   #9
phillip123hastings

Well, considering the world we live in, hiding truths is a normal thing.
phillip123hastings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 09:33 AM   #10
Grumpy old man

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyerrm View Post
So I'm trolling thru eBay and come across this nice high-end truck. Scrolling down I see several pictures of the bed, each covered by a rubber mat. I ask the seller to provide pictures of the bed w/o the mat, which he promptly does. Clearly the bed is not as nice as the rest of the truck but not awful. What bothers me is that this defect was not initially disclosed and in fact hidden.

So is that dishonest? My wife says no b/c the seller quickly addressed the issue by sending pictures. Are my expectations too high?
Yes, Your expectations are too high . Your shopping for an almost 50 year old truck listed in an international auction website and assuming the seller is dishonest because everything you want a picture of wasn't posted ? But when asked he provided what you requested ? If it's truly a high end truck your looking to buy make sure it's done in person so your not disappointed

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 09:34 AM   #11
Warrens69GMC

No, its not dishonest.
Warrens69GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 11:35 AM   #12
Coley

Nope, not dishonest.
If he had claimed that the bed floor under the mat was mint and perfect...then yes.
There is no way there is enough room and time in an Ebay ad to audit every corner of the vehicle in text.
Anyone seriously interested will call the buyer and talk and discuss the vehicle in more detail.

Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 11:41 AM   #13
midniteblues

Sometimes when making a for sale ad anywhere providing every last bit of detail good or bad is difficult.
One gets focused on the top selling points of the item too entice buyers or peak intrest in the item. After all your trying too sell.
Honesty plays a big part when describing an item. it is up too the individual too do there best.
I see this guy did nothing wrong he just did not disclose the bed floor in his ad but he did show pics of the bed with the cover on it.
That was good if ya ask me the mat is a add on/extra witch is a good selling point who doesn't want a mat too protect there bed floor paint.
I don't believe I would've thought too take another pic of the actual floor either. Since he replied quickly I'm sure it was just a oversite.

I bought nos parts off eBay that were local so I asked to pick them up. Glad I did cause from the pic or description you could not see the stuff was clearly not nos but used parts that still had gm stickers on.
Dude was caught red handed when I pointed out the bolt marks and oblonged holes.
After a bit of contraversy he refunded me $ on the spot.
I would've had to jump through hurdles if it didn't go down that way.

Honesty sells, and people will remember.
'74 heald super bronc vt8. tecumseh powered moon rover.
midniteblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 11:53 AM   #14
mike16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
The guy has a bed cover in his truck and you call him dishonest! Why? He answered your question pronto! With pictures. That is honesty. I have a bed cover in mine and I'm not hiding anything. I want to protect it.
I don't pull it up and show it to everybody when it's at a show.

It's the buyer who should ask the right questions before buying! I don't see anything wrong with it myself even the bed but if I was looking to buy it I would be having him send me a bunch of pictures of it.
Nobody called anybody dishonest because they had a bed cover on his truck.

Its not at a show its for sale. and with so many other detailed pictures why omit any of the most important bed details.

If it was a simple oversight then thats what it is. And his quick response gives him some credability. I've been in this game along time and usually "oversite" like this is an indication that something may be wrong.I know the truck business having had a few and sold a few and been on this and other sites. It raises doubts. and with so many scams one has to worry about I dont bother risking it.

Plus there are may examples of the right way to present a vehicle. And this is a used car lot? what? they have not been in business long enough to know how to present a vehicle in a similar way.

I stated that I dont see anything wrong with the bed. I dont see anything wrong with the bed to justify a serious ommission like that. He may have simply made a mistake or he may be an idiot. but Ebay has been around a while, crooks have too. Sorry but too many examples of how its done right to except an excuse. Its a used car lot. Knowing that now makes me even more suspect about his intent. I'm not saying he should go to jail but maybe me and a few others are tired of the lame excuses people dredge up to excuse thier incompetence when in reality thier really hiding something.

Not saying he is, and from the looks of the bed I dont understand why it was an oversite. The bed looks good enough to be a selling point.

Just my opinion having sold about a dozen cars on ebay. A used car lot that is so clumsy in the execution of a skill and responsability that is thier bread and butter.... Hmm? I suppose they could be idiots. even with idiots, there are too many complications.

the buyer did ask the right question, perhaps he should ask a whole lot more
Old 05-29-2016, 12:30 PM   #15
midniteblues

I suppose they could be idiots. even with idiots, there are too many complications.

This is good saying,love it.

Did you ever talk too somebody so stupid they make you squint. Lol
'74 heald super bronc vt8. tecumseh powered moon rover.
midniteblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 12:40 PM   #16
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCougarine View Post
I looked at this same truck on there. I'm going to guess since there are plenty of detailed pictures of the truck, including ones with it up on a rack, that its probably just an oversight. It doesn't look like theres even really anything to cover up there. Its a dealership so I'd imagine the truck came to them with the cover in it and no one bothered to pull it out before posting it online. Thats just my opinion.
I worked at dealerships for many years and think this comment nailed it.

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 12:47 PM   #17
truckster

I don't think the guy was dishonest at all. He provided the pictures you asked for. I don't think the bed looks bad, either. If it had rust holes or was even really worn, that might be an issue, but it doesn't look like the seller was trying to hide anything.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 03:01 PM   #18
mike16

OK so he's honest. just not very candid up front. Still.... Thats a grave mistake to make when your in that business.Look at the contraversy serounding it on this forum simply becaus of an "oversite". I also worked at a used car lot back in the 80's in Delaware. I know what an oversite is. Its also election year So we all see exaples of the verbal shell game being played out every night in our living rooms. Call it what you want. Just dont sell the car to your self. let the seller sell it to you and do yourself and your wallet a favor and shut up and listen. Silence freaks out liars.
Old 05-29-2016, 03:10 PM   #19
YBNORML

The truck has a bed mat in it. When he drives the truck it has a bed mat in it. So when he took pics, it had the bed mat in it. I don't see any intentional dishonesty. It's part of the truck. He responded quickly and appropriately to an asked question. Seems pretty honest to me.

I think people's expectations are getting a little high these days.

68’ GMC shortbox
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=794201

72' 2WD Blazer
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=425385

67' LongBox C-10
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=691845

InstaGram ybnorml67
YBNORML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 03:13 PM   #20
mike16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Already Gone View Post
I worked at dealerships for many years and think this comment nailed it.
still kinda scarry. when you think about it. what used car dealer being... used car dealers.....does not inspect a vehicle that comes on the lot even if only to lift the liner and inspect the bed. Cummon! they know what they do and what? they dont think someone else isnt goint to try to pull the same thing on them.

No. you cant convince me that in addition to the oversite of not showing images of the bed they them selves forgot or through additional oversite failed to lift a rubber mat and inspect the bed. We both worked in used car lots. I certainly know better. Maybe they said that but , being a used car dealer yourself, would you believe them, you, me us them.

neither would I.
Old 05-29-2016, 03:21 PM   #21
special-K
Special Order

A dumb crook will lie. A smart crook will tell and show you as little as possible and leave the rest for you to ask.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 03:23 PM   #22
cypressbog
Go Pack Go!

Not dishonest at all.
cypressbog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 03:35 PM   #23
dirtyjim

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyerrm View Post

are you a potential buyer or just trolling? if it was my action you posted here you would be on my blocked bidder list

I've sold a ton of stuff on ebay and there have been plenty of times that i had pic's that i intended to add but forgot until someone asked for them.
Old 05-29-2016, 03:46 PM   #24
HeloCrewChief

I do not sell on eBay or craigslist anymore due to the time thievery that is occurring on those sites. I would get the strangest calls and emails from people asking for every little ridiculous piece of information only to fall off the face of the earth after saying they would be buying the vehicle. A lot of lonely weirdos out there with time to kill in between their Barrett Jackson or monkey garage reruns. . Best sales I've ever had were bidders I never spoke to. They would win, call me, wire the money and say thank you! I personally just drive out or fly out to inspect a vehicle if I'm dead serious about it. Luckily I have tons of airline miles but, I've often flown out to see a car or truck for $200 round trip. It really is up to a buyer to do their due diligence if truly serious. On another note, am I blind or what am I missing that is bad with this particular bed???
1968 Chevelle
1964 Comet Caliente
1990 W250 Cummins
HeloCrewChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 04:34 PM   #25
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: ebay honesty

Quote:
Clearly the bed is not as nice as the rest of the truck but not awful. What bothers me is that this defect was not initially disclosed and in fact hidden.
This was the whole reason for this thread!

The guy has a bed mat on his truck and because he didn't lift it up to post pictures this thread was started. Well it sounds like the OP had problems with it.
You want to buy a 40-50 year old truck then be realistic about what you are buying and go look at it in person at the very least. Are have a certified person look at it at least. If you buy it over a phone call you get what you get.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote