The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-29-2016, 11:48 PM   #1
1969guy

See how installed my new rocker today!

Hey there fellas, haven't seen very many people install a new rocker with a portable spot welder, so I decided to take pics all along the way to show you how I did it. This is the first one I have done with this spot welder.

First off I'll start with the preparation. After I finished replacing some of the metal, I sprayed cold zinc on the bare metal to help preserve it.

Name:  IMG_0408.jpg
Views: 587
Size:  87.3 KB

Next was rocker alignment and fender alignment. I had put just a few tiny sheet metal screws through the rocker to hold it in place.

Name:  IMG_0404.jpg
Views: 582
Size:  66.3 KB

After being satisfied with the new rocker panel's alignment (sub standard aftermarket crap) time to clean all the areas that would be spot welded and mig welded to bare metal again and apply seam sealer.

Name:  IMG_0409.jpg
Views: 578
Size:  86.7 KB

Name:  IMG_0410.jpg
Views: 578
Size:  83.3 KB

The seam sealer is 3M Urethane seam sealer (08367) that is formulated so that you can put it between your metal before spot welding.

Name:  IMG_0421.jpg
Views: 566
Size:  48.4 KB

I forgot to take pics of the metal coated in seam sealer cause it was messy and it just slipped my mind.
When it came to the spot welding part, along the bottom edge, instead of adding more screws, I used vise grips to squeeze the metal together to get a good weld. When I got to the top, I had to add more screws to clamp it down because I didn't have vise grips big enough to reach around the rocker. With the cab corner off, spot welding the rear part was fairly easy. the front was mig welded. Got to be careful when mig welding around seam sealer though because it's hot enough to ignite that stuff!!
1969guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 11:56 PM   #2
1969guy

Re: See how installed my new rocker today!

Here's my spot welder that I used. Made a big set of tongs to fit under the rocker.

Name:  IMG_0419.jpg
Views: 567
Size:  96.7 KB

Name:  IMG_0420.jpg
Views: 566
Size:  95.0 KB

Here's how the welds turned out. Not too bad for the first time! Would have been better if the rocker fit better.

Name:  IMG_0413.jpg
Views: 564
Size:  88.9 KB

Name:  IMG_2876.jpg
Size:  71.8 KB

And finally.

Name:  IMG_0414.jpg
Size:  62.8 KB

Not sure how economic all this is to someone that is just restoring a few trucks, but if you go through a lot of them, then this will come in handy. Between my Dad and I we have 6 of these trucks and atleast 4 of them will need the rockers done, so saves me the headache of welding and grinding using only the mig welder, and I can seal them up real good.
Old 05-30-2016, 12:10 AM   #3
1969guy

Anyone else have good luck with this?
Old 05-30-2016, 08:37 AM   #4
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
I have 3 trucks to do so tips are always good! My spot welder is an old Miller that has two separate handles with a button on one of them for activating the welder, a dial for adjusting the heat and a dial for adjusting the activation time. I have used it to build a couple of model trucks but not on the real thing. Hopefully I will be able to start on one this week some time. Good deal on explaining the sheet metal screw attachment for test fitting, too many people weld everything together before fitting the door and have to rip everything back apart and re-do it.....

Good job!

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 09:04 AM   #5
dirtyjim

did you have any problems spot welding through the seam sealer? i'm getting ready to do the rockers on my truck, i'll probably use my tig to spot weld them in but I've been looking for an excuse to buy a spot welder
Old 05-30-2016, 09:29 AM   #6
1969guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
-
I have 3 trucks to do so tips are always good! My spot welder is an old Miller that has two separate handles with a button on one of them for activating the welder, a dial for adjusting the heat and a dial for adjusting the activation time. I have used it to build a couple of model trucks but not on the real thing. Hopefully I will be able to start on one this week some time. Good deal on explaining the sheet metal screw attachment for test fitting, too many people weld everything together before fitting the door and have to rip everything back apart and re-do it.....

Good job!

LockDoc
Thanks Leon!

Actually this is only the second rocker I have ever done, and I think it turned out pretty well. Sheet metals screws are just about perfect for the alignment because the heads don't get in the way of the door like regular clamps do. As you can see my welder is a Dayton, but from what I have heard it's a refurbished Miller.
Old 05-30-2016, 09:36 AM   #7
1969guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyjim View Post
did you have any problems spot welding through the seam sealer? i'm getting ready to do the rockers on my truck, i'll probably use my tig to spot weld them in but I've been looking for an excuse to buy a spot welder
No not really any problem getting through the seam sealer. You do have to be selective on which seam sealer you use though because not all work. This 3M that I pictured is good stuff and I believe it is what the auto industry uses today when spot welded seams are put together. The toughest part I had was welding the top near where the sill plate is. The rocker panel I used (Sherman) was not very good for figment at all, and some of the contours weren't right. That top curve where the gasket goes was not as abrupt, so trying to get the metal close enough together to weld is tough. Plus just about every corner in the front and back had been cut for better fitment against the "A" pillar and "B" pillar.
Old 05-30-2016, 10:48 AM   #8
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969guy View Post
No not really any problem getting through the seam sealer. You do have to be selective on which seam sealer you use though because not all work. This 3M that I pictured is good stuff and I believe it is what the auto industry uses today when spot welded seams are put together. The toughest part I had was welding the top near where the sill plate is. The rocker panel I used (Sherman) was not very good for figment at all, and some of the contours weren't right. That top curve where the gasket goes was not as abrupt, so trying to get the metal close enough together to weld is tough. Plus just about every corner in the front and back had been cut for better fitment against the "A" pillar and "B" pillar.

They also make a weld-through primer. I have never used it but I'm going to try it when I do mine..... Lots of info on the net about it.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 11:16 AM   #9
1969guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
They also make a weld-through primer. I have never used it but I'm going to try it when I do mine..... Lots of info on the net about it.

LockDoc
Yea you can look up and find just about anything. The seam sealer I saw on YouTube was better than the stuff I used. It had glass beads in it to insure that the sealant wouldn't get squished out. Also was like a glue so you didn't have to screw it in place. He was working on a 56 panel truck though.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WKZlxpMTV6o

Here's the one I followed

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fKu32jqP1fc
Old 06-03-2016, 07:24 AM   #10
1969guy

Forgot to mention also that if you use a welder like I pictured, be prepared for a workout, cause it's heavy!
Old 06-03-2016, 08:54 AM   #11
FlameOut

Looks good. Ive always used the sheet metal screws to hold body panels in place. Well, them and many many pairs of vice grips. I sure wish I had a spot welder though. Would sure save lots of time with all of the hole drilling that is otherwise needed. I used the after market rockers and they fit perfect though. I wonder if you got a couple bad ones? I've actually had pretty good luck with repop panels on my last two restorations (with the exception of doors)

2004 Chevy Silverado Z71 Ext Cab 1500
1972 Chevy K-10 SOLD
1967 Chevelle SS
FlameOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 09:26 AM   #12
1969guy

What brand rockers did you get? I got Sherman from summit racing and I don't think I'll ever get those again. Might try one from carsinc next. Supposedly USA stamped but not sure. Might be better quality.

Anyone tried one from carsinc?