The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-03-2016, 10:10 PM   #1
mike16

68K20 split rims and radials

Anybody got a 68c/k20 with split rims and has radials? I'm looking to put radials on my origonal two piece 68 rims. Anybody doing that. What works. I know about flaps and radial tubes.
mike16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 11:42 PM   #2
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Re: 68K20 split rims and radials

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike16 View Post
I know about flaps and radial tubes.
Isn't that pretty much all there is to know? Sounds like you have the bases covered. Other than finding a competent shop to work on those wheels and deciding what tires you like. I gave away my split rims a long time ago but see no reason not to run 'em if that's what you want. For the record, I just got 16x7 Ford rims with 255/85-16 Cooper S/Ts. Back to the old-school look.

Funny story from 39 years ago (not so funny to the tire guy, though). He got my new mud & snows mounted but one would not balance, not even close. Finally tore it down and there was the nice new flap, still folded up against the inside of the tire. Colorful language. When the job was done he thanked me for my business and said come back any time, but not with those wheels.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 01:59 PM   #3
mike16

Re: 68K20 split rims and radials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocker View Post
Isn't that pretty much all there is to know?
Nope.

Some tire vendors dont recomend thier tires be used with split rims. others dont even reply. I wanted to know who is using radial on splitrims and what tire they are using.

I already know about flaps and tubes. What I dont know is which brand of radial tire others are using.

I know about flaps, radial tubes and I'm not getting rid of my rims. Looking for radial tires that work with split rims.
mike16 is offline   Reply With Quote