The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-05-2016, 06:58 PM   #1
ck5566
Account Suspended

Proportional Valve ??

How do you tell the difference of the proportional valve between the two systems disc or drum and or disc/drum and if ether one is being used for power brakes or manual brakes? I am asking this because the PO's installed newer spindles (92) with disc brakes on front. It is still a manual brake system and with what is installed it doesn't seem to brake real good. I know manual system isn't the greatest but it still doesn't seem right. I'll insert some pic's for I D purposes. thanks
Attached Images

ck5566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 07:49 PM   #2
mike16

Re: Proportional Valve ??

do a serch, about two weeks ago somebody else asked almost the exact same question.

for the politically correct OCD croud. perportioning valves are for disc drum set ups. a distributor block is for drum drum set ups.

although the terms get used interchangably. some of the ocd croud may intervene to demand correct terminology.

power brakes make alot of difference in brake effort reduction. Is it just harder to apply or are there other problems. It is very important that you have the perportioning valve for a disc drum set up. It wil not stop properly and it may feel like there is alot of brake pedal tavel befor brakes apply.

I dont know if what you have there is a perportioning valve. It could be correct. I dont know so I resppectfully bow to the experts on here. I do know, and others my even agree that a perportioning valve is nessessarry.
mike16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 08:29 PM   #3
dennislbrooks

What you show is not a proportioning valve. It divides the front brakes from the back with a floating valve in it. If pressure is lost in either the front or the back a light will come on the dash if still working. --I see yours has no wire to it.--- The side still having pressure will give you still either front or back brakes.

Haynes calls it a Pressure Regulating Combination Valve.
Old 06-05-2016, 08:36 PM   #4
ck5566
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike16 View Post
do a serch, about two weeks ago somebody else asked almost the exact same question.

for the politically correct OCD croud. perportioning valves are for disc drum set ups. a distributor block is for drum drum set ups.

although the terms get used interchangably. some of the ocd croud may intervene to demand correct terminology.

power brakes make alot of difference in brake effort reduction. Is it just harder to apply or are there other problems. It is very important that you have the perportioning valve for a disc drum set up. It wil not stop properly and it may feel like there is alot of brake pedal tavel befor brakes apply.

I dont know if what you have there is a perportioning valve. It could be correct. I dont know so I resppectfully bow to the experts on here. I do know, and others my even agree that a perportioning valve is nessessarry.
In my original post I forgot to say that the P O S disc setup is going in the TRASH soon, I have already put together with all New Parts a frt Drum system that will be going on sone.
Attached Images

Old 06-05-2016, 08:57 PM   #5
ck5566
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennislbrooks View Post
What you show is not a proportioning valve. It divides the front brakes from the back with a floating valve in it. If pressure is lost in either the front or the back a light will come on the dash if still working. --I see yours has no wire to it.--- The side still having pressure will give you still either front or back brakes.

Haynes calls it a Pressure Regulating Combination Valve.
Your description of a "Pres. Reg. Combo. valve" if correct then that just might be why I think that when braking its not so great. PO's probably needed to install a "Proportioning Valve" in stead of leaving what they left.
Old 06-05-2016, 09:07 PM   #6
FirstOwner69

If you are going back to drums, what you have (commonly called a distribution block) is what you will want.
FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 09:16 PM   #7
dennislbrooks

Not sure what front disc setup you are running but if a driver vehicle amongst the first thing I want is front disc brakes with or without power.

If your only problem is not having a proportional valve, you may want to reconsider.
Speedway gives a preferred diagram setup for front disc and rear drums in their catalog.

Front disc brakes are good.
Old 06-05-2016, 10:05 PM   #8
ck5566
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstOwner69 View Post
If you are going back to drums, what you have (commonly called a distribution block) is what you will want.
If that is what is there already then I am half way there. just need to make sure its in working order.

Last edited by ck5566; 06-05-2016 at 10:13 PM.
Old 06-05-2016, 10:11 PM   #9
ck5566
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennislbrooks View Post
Not sure what front disc setup you are running but if a driver vehicle amongst the first thing I want is front disc brakes with or without power.

If your only problem is not having a proportional valve, you may want to reconsider.
Speedway gives a preferred diagram setup for front disc and rear drums in their catalog.

Front disc brakes are good.
In my opinion having Power brakes be it Disc or Drums are the way to go. But this old dog will only be used once in a while so why spend $500 to + when it could be spent for other stuff like Gas in my Harley!
Old 06-05-2016, 10:19 PM   #10
ck5566
Account Suspended

Quote:
When the past owner of my truck was on this site I think he ask if you would sell some Original Black w/yellow letter Lic. Plates. Your ID "FirstOwner69" I think I remember seeing in some of his notes he gave me when I bought the truck from him. Love this site, Small world huh.
Old 06-05-2016, 11:51 PM   #11
FirstOwner69

Quote:
Originally Posted by ck5566 View Post
When the past owner of my truck was on this site I think he ask if you would sell some Original Black w/yellow letter Lic. Plates. Your ID "FirstOwner69" I think I remember seeing in some of his notes he gave me when I bought the truck from him. Love this site, Small world huh.
If I recall he was in or near Twentynine Palms. Right?
FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 10:34 AM   #12
ck5566
Account Suspended

Quote:
If I recall he was in or near Twentynine Palms. Right?
Yes, he is in Yucca Valley. And the truck still has only one old beat up plate.