The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-06-2016, 09:04 AM   #1
30 a truck

71 grille assembly/install

What is the best order to installing a new grille? Assemble then install or assemble as I install? How about the outside braces, do they mount on the grille first or to the fenders first? Just trying to figure out the best way from someone who has done it before. I have "searched" & came up with no good advice.

Thanks, Lynn
30 a truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 10:22 AM   #2
OUbesto

Re: 71 grille assembly/install

I recently replaced my grills (outer/inner) and assembled them before I put in truck. Then I attached the two side brackets and middle bracket to the grill before bolting in the brackets on the truck. It was really pretty easy this way. The only challenge was to bend the top center formed section of the outer grill that goes over the hood latch. Unfortunately the preformed bend in the top rail of the outer grill did not exactly match up with configuration of the latch assembly. The combination of some pliers (w/ plastic grip protectors so not to scratch the chrome) and a Deadblow plastic hammer I was able to reshape the grill frame to fit. Good luck!