The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-09-2016, 05:47 PM   #1
haysonj

Intermediate steering shaft on a 69 k10

My steering shaft looks like it is two pieces and one is inside of the other. Should these two pieces slide in and out. I cannot get them to move at all when trying to remove the intermediate shaft.
Old 06-09-2016, 11:37 PM   #2
joeydurango

Re: Intermediate steering shaft on a 69 k10

Assuming a 69 is the same as my 72... the intermediate shaft (with the bell-shaped coupler) goes from the splined end of the steering column (underneath the brake booster and MC) all the way down to the rag joint (the rubber joint at the steering box). If this is the part you are talking about, they are collapsible, and technically two pieces, but they don't just "slide". They have plastic pins which hold them together, and under harsh impact those are supposed to break and allow those two pieces to slide. (I don't ever want to have to test this functionality. )

If you're just trying to remove the intermediate shaft, make sure it's broken free from the rag joint first. Also make sure the column is slid up into the firewall all the way, they can work down over time if they're loose. If those two things are taken care of, you should have enough play at the intermediate shaft coupler (bell shaped deal) to slide the shaft up and clear the pins on the rag joint. You won't be able to move the coupler on the steering column unless the pinch bolt is taken all the way out... so take it all the way out.
1976 Trans Am | 455/4-spd | TOTALED
joeydurango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 07:36 AM   #3
haysonj

Re: Intermediate steering shaft on a 69 k10

Thanks, it was hard but I did get it out. There was so much rust in it I doubt it would ever collapse in a wreck. I may change it to a Jeep shaft.