The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-11-2016, 10:27 AM   #1
1moretoy

New brakes help!

Ok got the brakes blead and they feel great. Corvette C6 Zo6 14" 6 piston in the front and 13" 4 piston in tbe rear with a 1" willwood manual master. They seem like I have to step on them pretty hard to stop. I haven't adjusted the proportioning valve yet and not sure how. Will that make a difference? If you have any suggestions on how to adjust it I would appreciate it.
1moretoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 11:36 AM   #2
dennislbrooks

Re: New brakes help!

Are you saying it takes more effort now than it did with drums on the back?

Do you have power brakes or does manual master cyllinder mean no power? And if no power it will take more effort. The proprtioning valve is usually for dics brakes on front and drums on back.

If you can adjust the proportioning valve the rear should not lockup before the front brakes do.

A metering valve will allow pressure to the rear brakes before the front to prevent nose dive.

You may not have any problems at all with the exception it takes more effort than with power and maybe pads are still breaking in..
Old 06-11-2016, 01:47 PM   #3
davepl

Is the Z06 C6 Corvette -also- a 1" master cylinder? If you're using a larger bore than the slave cylinders were designed for, that would make it hard to press (just thinking out loud, not idea if it's a match or not).

Drums are self-assisting so I guess discs will require more pressure, all else equal. But it shouldn't be a HUGE difference.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 02:00 PM   #4
1moretoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennislbrooks View Post
Are you saying it takes more effort now than it did with drums on the back?

Do you have power brakes or does manual master cyllinder mean no power? And if no power it will take more effort. The proprtioning valve is usually for dics brakes on front and drums on back.

If you can adjust the proportioning valve the rear should not lockup before the front brakes do.

A metering valve will allow pressure to the rear brakes before the front to prevent nose dive.

You may not have any problems at all with the exception it takes more effort than with power and maybe pads are still breaking in..
I do have manual brakes with ceramic pads and don't have many miles on them. So maybe I just need to brake them in and get used to them. I thought you used a proportioning valve on both. I have disc all the way around.
1moretoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 03:54 PM   #5
dennislbrooks

I run disc all the way around also --- I have an adjustable pressure valve from speedway that I had on it to adjust the rear when I had drums on back.. Also run an 80 corvette master cylinder. I still have the oem 67 splitter off the master cylinder. I have hydroboost which takes little effort and dropped the rod an inch on the pedal arm.

Give Wilwood a call. 805-388-1188