The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-11-2016, 08:06 PM   #1
jr1000yarder

Help with my Quadrajet

I posted this

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=709591

Can anyone help?

Thanks
Old 06-11-2016, 11:02 PM   #2
Grumpy old man

Re: Help with my Quadrajet

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr1000yarder View Post
I posted this

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=709591

Can anyone help?

Thanks
Why would you want to get rid of it ? Rebuild it , New and shiny doesn't always mean better . These trucks run great with the quadrajet .

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 09:05 AM   #3
jr1000yarder

Okie dokie. ..thanks
Old 06-12-2016, 10:59 AM   #4
Coley

Smile Re: Help with my Quadrajet

As mentioned the Quadrajet is a really good carb, however it needs to be checked and put into good condition for it (or any carb) to perform well.
Do you have a manual for your truck that shows setting the choke? Are you pretty mechanical and confident enough to work on the carb?...your going to need that so that is job 1.
Also, I would start by getting a carb kit for it and start with a really good cleaning (see below)
Here is a good starter video series for what you would be into complexity and effort wise....its not perfect but this guy is relatively clear through all his videos and the things he missed can be picked up in some other supporting videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=us0mfq6q2KU

Before I would go to that extent tho'...I would thoroughly clean the carb, top to bottom with carb cleaner and blow it out with compressed air....all holes from all directions, get it immaculate. The top of the carb is called the 'air horn' and if you (very) carefully remove all the screws you can gently take it off and look down into the main bowls and float area to see how much crap (or not?) you have in there.
As well, you now have the opportunity to see what shape your throttle shaft bushings are in. If there pretty 'loose' and wiggle a lot...your going to need to re-bush them. Not an easy job...but 'doable'....so check them out.

Then test with the carb on the bench, and try setting it up to the factory spacing and length indicators that are in the manual (important...you can't improvise here unless you are an expert)....and particularly the choke to factory settings. Also make sure your choke pull off (white plastic thing on the front passenger side) holds vacuum and position when its applied.
Also look to see if some of the wells have been sealed with epoxy. This has always been a Quadrajet issue that can be resolved. Note that if they are leaking (and many do) you lose all the fuel out of your bowls as they leak down into the manifold and evaporate....makes for hard starting...sound familiar? Google this or look for a link on youtube and you will see a few different methods to easily correct this.

Take your time....don't putz around and don't try to solve it with a guys best friend....a one armed slotted screwdriver approach....because it won't work and get you to where you want to be.

all Good
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500

Last edited by Coley; 06-12-2016 at 11:05 AM.
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 04:03 PM   #5
jr1000yarder

Thanks for the info. Yes, I can do it myself. Just wasn't sure if it was worth the agg of making it new again vs just buying another one. When I was a kid we threw lots of these things away and rebuilt ford holleys we got from the yard. Dunno if that was smart but that's what we did!
Old 06-12-2016, 04:15 PM   #6
Grumpy old man

The quadrajet is the "tank" of the carb world I've seen them go thru hell and keep right on going .clean fuel is a must with the bronze filter and being VERY careful with the fuel inlet threads they strip easily if misaligned .

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote