The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-13-2016, 11:01 PM   #1
scottnoon87

opinions please.

Hello everyone. I am a new member to the site but I've been looking around the site and at everyone's project for a couple of years now. I am finally at a point with my finances where I have a decent amount of money to spend on my own 67-72 c10 short box truck project. I live just outside of Vancouver BC Canada and short boxes are very few and far between here. I have found a truck a few hours drive away and yes its quite expensive but it has many things already done that I was planning to do. the rims are not my favourite but those can be changed very easily. I have talked to the owner and he claims all the truck needs is the gaps done and a paint job, no rust what so ever. Please could I have you opinions, also keep in mind the price is in Canadian dollars. He is also flexible on the price. thanks in advance.

http://kelowna.craigslist.ca/cto/5599109937.html
scottnoon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 11:07 PM   #2
drfloyd

Re: opinions please.

I'm not sure how that translates to US dollars and I don't know what your funds are like but if it were me in your location I would go buy it.
drfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 11:09 PM   #3
scottnoon87

If I were to pay the full $19000 for the truck that would convert to just under $15000 usd.
Old 06-13-2016, 11:21 PM   #4
66clow

You say it needs the Gaps done. Not sure what that means. You scare me with that thinking has it been in a accident? Or just need panel alignments.
66clow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 11:22 PM   #5
scottnoon87

Just panel alignment. apparently its accident free.
Old 06-13-2016, 11:23 PM   #6
TheCougarine

I'd start by finding out if its an original short bed and go from there. Theres clearly been quite a bit of money put into that truck and if you like everything thats already been done to it and wouldn't change much then it might be a decent buy. I think it might also be a good idea to figure roughly what it will cost to paint it and figure that into your budget. I see dozens of project cars that make it to that stage and then are sold off because of the cost to paint them. What seems like a steal can easily turn into a money pit.
TheCougarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 11:53 PM   #7
rally

Just my 2 cents but i think if youre going to spend that much, you should look for something thats as original as possible. Why pay for someones project when you can pay for an original and do it up however you like? It looks beautiful, but you dont know the guys workmanship level and it could look great from afar but be far from good. The reason i say this is because my brother told me the same and I was pretty sure i was buying an original but i was wrong and learned the hard way.

If you can "read the fineprint" and pick up a truck thats as original as possible, number one youre far ahead of many of us, and two you know how good the works been done on it because ideally youve done it yourself.

Id just hate for you to spend that much and find out its not what you expected. If thats what youre looking for the pics show a good looking truck, but if you want something original, make sure you dig deeper.

The truck looks great, though.
Old 06-13-2016, 11:58 PM   #8
scottnoon87

one of the biggest problems im having is finding a truck with minimal rust. my original plan was to find a original truck but being up north everything i have looked at is a rusty piece of junk.
Old 06-14-2016, 08:11 AM   #9
Grumpy old man

With the number of cut down trucks running around and increasingly becoming an acceptable practice I'd make sure it's really what it's portrayed to be before I spent any serious money on it . How many 1967 136 Malibu's are running around with 138 Chevelle emblems on them ? A clone is a clone is a clone and they hold no long term value no matter how well they were done . These trucks are reaching investment status for the average guy and should be treated as such .

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 08:36 AM   #10
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Welcome from Saskatoon. Living in Vancouver you you have the US States of Washington, Oregon and Idaho which is 67-72 Truck Heaven.. I can't say why but the truck you posted just doesn't look right to me. If I was you I'd watch, Ebay, Craigslist and Kijiji and you should be able to find a truck that suits you. It has been lots on this site that someone finds a truck 500 miles from home and there is a knowledgeable board member that lives close to where the truck is and he/she will go check it oiut for you. I have actually done that a few times. Be patient Grasshopper !!!

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 08:46 AM   #11
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

I was poking around on this site after the above post and found this truck. Not sure what your after but this is a beauty and its board members.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv...633604954.html

Here is the tread it is in.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...557998&page=10

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

Old 06-14-2016, 08:46 AM   #12
GR8-68

I agree with Grumpy, why make something into what it is not.

It is easily overlooked that what is now called vintage was once brand new.

"Project 68"

paypal.me/ldgrant
GR8-68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 08:51 AM   #13
Grumpy old man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Already Gone View Post
I was poking around on this site after the above post and found this truck. Not sure what your after but this is a beauty and its board members.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv...633604954.html

Here is the tread it is in.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...557998&page=10
That's a clean looking truck .I like that one !

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 07:33 PM   #14
scottnoon87

So i went and looked at the black truck in the original thread post. after a very good investigation of the truck i found weld marks on the back half of the frame under the rear body mounts. it is a vertical weld in the inside of the frame and there are no signs on any grinding on the outside of the frame rails. the weld is on either side of the frame only on the inside of the frame. i unfortunately did not take any pictures. so saying that should i take it that this frame has been shortened? the current owner of the truck seems to think that its a factory short bed but im leaning more to the idea that its been a lwb-swb conversion. any opinions? also if anyone has pictures of the inner section of the frame under the rear cab mounts that would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
Old 06-19-2016, 07:37 PM   #15
66clow

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottnoon87 View Post
So i went and looked at the black truck in the original thread post. after a very good investigation of the truck i found weld marks on the back half of the frame under the rear body mounts. it is a vertical weld in the inside of the frame and there are no signs on any grinding on the outside of the frame rails. the weld is on either side of the frame only on the inside of the frame. i unfortunately did not take any pictures. so saying that should i take it that this frame has been shortened? the current owner of the truck seems to think that its a factory short bed but im leaning more to the idea that its been a lwb-swb conversion. any opinions? also if anyone has pictures of the inner section of the frame under the rear cab mounts that would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
I'd bet it was a conversion. More than likely grinded down outside. Does it have the spid on the glove box?
Old 06-19-2016, 07:41 PM   #16
scottnoon87

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66clow View Post
I'd bet it was a conversion. More than likely grinded down outside. Does it have the spid on the glove box?

No, the dash has been shaved and re painted so there was in build sticker.
Old 06-19-2016, 07:41 PM   #17
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

As I said, that truck didn't look right to me..

Old 06-19-2016, 07:57 PM   #18
66clow

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottnoon87 View Post
No, the dash has been shaved and re painted so there was in build sticker.
That's the area for shortening typically. Is there any reinforcement welded in on the inside? The way you decribed it it doesn't sound like it. I'd be a little concerned.
Old 06-19-2016, 08:06 PM   #19
scottnoon87

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66clow View Post
That's the area for shortening typically. Is there any reinforcement welded in on the inside? The way you decribed it it doesn't sound like it. I'd be a little concerned.
There is no fish plates or boxing of the frame. The truck runs and sounds amazing. If it wasn't for the frame welds it will be sitting in my driveway.
Old 06-19-2016, 08:54 PM   #20
Overdriven

Being in NY is a similar situation to you. It's either rusty stuff, fairly expensive modified trucks like this or cream puffs. I settled for an all original truck with a minimum of rust in the usual spots and an air bag kit installed. I feel I really didn't pay for the air bag kit as other trucks in similar condition are about the same price and the truck wasn't cut up or to install it so it's really the same as starting with a stock truck.

This truck on the other hand has lots of mods. Custom 5 link, mustang II front, the frame. Lots of stuff done that you need to trust in. Plus I don't like that passenger door fitment, would really need to it in person to inspect though. Personally I wouldn't have even gone to look at it but I'm not very trusting after all the hack jobs I've seen. But you have seen it, if you can trust in the welds then I'd say the next step is taking it to an alignment shop and getting it checked out, it's too much $ to take a chance in my opinion. If the frame is square and the truck can be aligned there's no reason it couldn't be worth it if you're ok with those mods. Fish and/or boxing plates can be added afterall.
Overdriven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 10:41 PM   #21
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

I'm not One for short beds.I own a 1964 short bed fleet side big window and I own a 1965 3/4 ton long bed.I feel better in a long bed then in a small truck.

Its like driving small car's not many of us feel that good about driving a LEE CAR or a Ugo.Or a Civic.

And with the guys converting long beds in to short beds the valve of your short bed are doing down every day.In 5 more years there will be more short beds running around then long beds.

That will be funny my long beds will be worth more then the short beds.

I know Canada is a cold country but not for long.I would like to see you get one with as many options as possible.1 of them being a AC Dash.That should be on your top NB#1 on your list.

2 be the 12 bolt with ladder bar better ride.3 if you can find a cab that has no cancer strip it and have it rebuilt for 8000.00.

that time i new there was a guy up where you are at that takes all 1967--72 truck cab's tears them arpart puts new full floors in puts AC dashes in all of them and reassembles them in all colors inside like black blue green red orange white No bench seats but it comes with full dash with tack tilt steering power brake booster AC out side box doors rebuilt out side is in prime coat all new tinted windows all new gaskets carpet heat sheilding for the floor under carpet.

The cab is the hardest and most expensive part on the truck.beds are easy front ends are easy frames are the second hardest to do on a truck.I do hear that he dose them too for 5000.00 all New SS brake lines fuel lines Powder coating He installs new air bag systlem for a extra 2000.00 He can make it to take the new LS motors.

I was talking to a guy on another site that had a cab and frame done by him and his company.

I hear once in a while he's in Calif buying up cab's and frames in piss poor conditions.

The market is right for some one to do this kinda work these trucks are getting expensive.I'm glad i have 9 of then with my 2 3 door suburbans.Its like back in 2004-08 camaro shells where getting 10K for a pile of trash and now there still getting 9000.00
stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 12:08 AM   #22
scottnoon87

Quote:
Originally Posted by stsalvage View Post
I'm not One for short beds.I own a 1964 short bed fleet side big window and I own a 1965 3/4 ton long bed.I feel better in a long bed then in a small truck.

Its like driving small car's not many of us feel that good about driving a LEE CAR or a Ugo.Or a Civic.

And with the guys converting long beds in to short beds the valve of your short bed are doing down every day.In 5 more years there will be more short beds running around then long beds.

That will be funny my long beds will be worth more then the short beds.

I know Canada is a cold country but not for long.I would like to see you get one with as many options as possible.1 of them being a AC Dash.That should be on your top NB#1 on your list.

2 be the 12 bolt with ladder bar better ride.3 if you can find a cab that has no cancer strip it and have it rebuilt for 8000.00.

that time i new there was a guy up where you are at that takes all 1967--72 truck cab's tears them arpart puts new full floors in puts AC dashes in all of them and reassembles them in all colors inside like black blue green red orange white No bench seats but it comes with full dash with tack tilt steering power brake booster AC out side box doors rebuilt out side is in prime coat all new tinted windows all new gaskets carpet heat sheilding for the floor under carpet.

The cab is the hardest and most expensive part on the truck.beds are easy front ends are easy frames are the second hardest to do on a truck.I do hear that he dose them too for 5000.00 all New SS brake lines fuel lines Powder coating He installs new air bag systlem for a extra 2000.00 He can make it to take the new LS motors.

I was talking to a guy on another site that had a cab and frame done by him and his company.

I hear once in a while he's in Calif buying up cab's and frames in piss poor conditions.

The market is right for some one to do this kinda work these trucks are getting expensive.I'm glad i have 9 of then with my 2 3 door suburbans.Its like back in 2004-08 camaro shells where getting 10K for a pile of trash and now there still getting 9000.00
Do you have a contact for this person you speak of?
Old 06-20-2016, 01:55 PM   #23
cypressbog
Go Pack Go!

That truck has been cobbled together. The bed has side marker lights (68-72). A lot of cash for it in my opinion.
cypressbog is offline   Reply With Quote