The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-15-2016, 03:48 AM   #1
prodjay10

Manual and Electric fan combo

I searched to see if anyone has done this but came up short.

I want to get the AC in my truck working(under dash) but I don't want to mess with R12 anymore. Would a combination Electric fan and manual fan work? The manual fan for cooling the engine and the electric fan for air flow at idle for the AC.

There are pictures in this thread that gave me the idea. The fan is $50 or so on rockauto.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=254617

Would this make the R134a cool as well as the R12???
prodjay10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 08:54 AM   #2
jjzepplin

Re: Manual and Electric fan combo

I asked this question to a guy at Summit and he recommended not to do it. Something about air turbulence. So since I have to make my own A/C fluid lines I am thinking of moving my condenser in some way to gain the use of the electric fan and utilizing the mechanical fan for the engine. Right now I have dual electric fans for the engine. I may try them for the A/C As well as I will have a Sanden hooked up to cycle on and off. I just think it's funny that my engine cooling will be affected by my A/C cycling on and off. But I guess that is how new cars work anyway.
jjzepplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 04:04 PM   #3
prodjay10

The turbulence issue makes sense.

If I get around to doing this, I'll try it both ways. With mechanical fan, then without. Just to see if it makes much of a difference in cooling.

thanks for your reply
Old 06-16-2016, 05:02 AM   #4
Overdriven

I had a Nissan pickup that ran on the hot side with the AC on and sitting in traffic. Everything was good on the cooling system only possibility left was fan clutch. An electric fan was cheaper so I went that route. I saw no adverse effects from adding the electric fan in front to augment the mechanical fan. Truck didn't get hotter quicker or need the electric fan more often than before so I just switched it on manually when needed sitting in traffic with AC on. As a bonus the AC blew colder due to the increased airflow through the condenser.
Overdriven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 08:46 AM   #5
flashed

I have both on my 72 with Vintage Air ,the truck kept wanting to run hot at idle at red lights with the air on so we added a duel electric fan in front of the radiator .No problems since ,when the gauge starts rising I turn the fan on .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 04:38 PM   #6
Big Kev-O

The guy at Summit just doesn't want to seel you something that might not work as planned. Lots of newer vehicles have a mechanical thermal clutch fan for cooling the radiator and a smaller electric fan on the condensor.
Old 06-16-2016, 04:44 PM   #7
prodjay10

My plan is to put both of them behind the radiator.

If the electric fan is in front of the radiator, would the condenser and radiator smooth out the turbulence?

Where if they were both behind the radiator, one would cause turbulence for the other?

I'm guessing here.
Old 06-16-2016, 05:51 PM   #8
Racer382D

I run electric only on mine. Two pusher fans in front of the radiator.... It's never seen 200 degrees
Racer382D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 06:07 PM   #9
ranger danger

Interesting! I'm getting ready to install Vintage air, front and rear, in my 69' Suburban. I'm now thinking of putting an electric pusher fan in front of the condenser and setting it to come on automatically at 195* and have an inline switch to turn it on manually. Does this sound reasonable?
US Navy 1979-1983 Gunners Mate Guns (GMG)
NRA Life Member

Unrestrained Children in back seats cause Accidents.
Unrestrained Accidents in back seats cause Children.
ranger danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 02:35 PM   #10
c10ss69

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashed View Post
I have both on my 72 with Vintage Air ,the truck kept wanting to run hot at idle at red lights with the air on so we added a duel electric fan in front of the radiator .No problems since ,when the gauge starts rising I turn the fan on .
Same here. I have the standard factory fan and then an electric fan on my condenser. My electric fan is ran by an add on thermostat and comes on automatically when the temp reaches the set temperature.
Attached Images