The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-01-2003, 07:40 AM   #1
GMCjunkie
Dude...I'm a CHICK

Barn Door Swap Help...

My 71 Burb came with tail gate/hatch doors, a while back I bought barn doors, Ive been slowly but surely working on getting these barn doors ready to go on, BUT. Does anyone have a bolt by bolt "morons" explanation WITH illustrations of how to do the swap??? If this entails way too much, I may consider TRADING my barn doors for another set of gate/hatch doors, the ones on my truck are SHOT and I need to do something with them SOON.
Any help/info is GREATLY appreciated..

Also, any one CLOSE enough to me, that has "barn door swap knowledge" to actually come and help me with this possible endeavor, Id LOVE to talk to you!!! Im in Valdosta Ga, 30 minits from the Fla line..

Thanks,
junk

'71 GMC Suburban 4x4
GMCjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 10:00 AM   #2
oldsub86

If it were me, I think I would try to find a better set of the original style and not try to swap to barn doors. A number of reasons - first off, I like the look of the tailgate much better - it looks more station wagon like and less work truck like - second - you get better visability through the upper hatch glass - the barn doors have a big amount of metal in the middle and two small windows to look out of - third - barn doors are not wonderful either - My 86 Suburban had barn doors and they caused me a fair bit of trouble over the 10 years that I had it. I paid big dollars for a new set of the rubber door seals from the dealer and still could not keep the doors sealed properly. You might not have the same problems given the warmer climate but I had problems with the seals soaking up water, and then freezing. If I opened the doors in winter, I could not close them again properly because the frozen rubber would not give enough.
Do it the easy way - replace what you have with stuff that will just bolt on. There must be someone out there with a need for barn doors and you can sell the ones you have acquired.

Old 10-01-2003, 12:50 PM   #3
Mark540

GMCjunkie, I am not an expert at this because I have never done it myself, but I know the bottom sills are different because of the hinge on the lift gate model. I have heard it is easier to go to barn doors rather than the other way around because of this. The only real issue would be sealing in that area. The mounting holes on the side should be there with plastic caps over the holes and slots for the hinge to go into the body. Check this out to make sure it is true, if they are not there it is a way bigger project than it would be worth I would think. Other than that the mounting of the door catches and struts is the only other thing. If you need a reference to where these are located let me know and I will take some pictures of my setup for you.

Mark
2002 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 w/20's
Mark540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 08:14 PM   #4
GMCjunkie
Dude...I'm a CHICK

t-t-t

'71 GMC Suburban 4x4
Old 10-01-2003, 09:39 PM   #5
jose

I did the swap on mine and you are going to need all of the latches that bolt up to the body . I think there is three two for passenger one top and one bottom and i one on top of driver side . Some bolts that hold the hinge from below are a ***** to take out because of the frame . Aligning the doors should be fairly easy . Your going to need a drill a couple of bits and some new screws for your latches . I am not much on detail but it should get you started .

If i was closer i would help you Jody

jose6772@yahoo.com
jose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 07:45 AM   #6
GMCjunkie
Dude...I'm a CHICK

Thanks for the info y'all, Im now torn between installing the barn doors or replacing the set up I have,...

'71 GMC Suburban 4x4
Old 10-02-2003, 10:41 AM   #7
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

Hey Jodie, nothing for me to add on the swap issue, but I sure would lean towards staying with what you have unless you have a good reason to change. My Yukon has the barn doors and the interference in the rear view mirror is a bit bothersome.

You have the barn doors so you would have to sell them and find a good set of the other, right?
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 04:31 PM   #8
Dan72cst

I just bought a 68 suburban with barn doors and it came with another pair. I have never done the swap, but will offer pictures and possibly some of the hardware.

As far as whether to do it or not is up to you and what you prefer. Obviously there are people that are going to like one way and not the other and vic versa. I prefer the look of the barn doors. Also I don't like the hatch on my blazer although the view is good, it rattles and squeaks and is a pain to put something in or out of. I like the barn doors.

Its your truck, make it the way you want.
68 2wd Chevy LWB 327/400
Dan72cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 05:58 PM   #9
grebus1

You might also look at this thread on the Suburban board:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...threadid=68570