The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-19-2016, 06:28 AM   #1
special-K
Special Order

Vintage Style Upgrades For My K2500

I've had the truck since '01 and it has been pretty much stock original except a couple wheel swaps off and on with stock. It did have some era truck accessories such as saddle tanks (w/doors) and bedside cargo hooks when I bought it. Well, I changed things up by replacing the worn out suspension with new springs, raising it up 4" and mounting bigger tires mounted on aluminum slots. When servicing the front axle I decided to run with Selectro hubs I had in my stash. I liked how the two era correct items looked together and actually set off the other previously mentioned add-ons. Had an issue with a broken hard stuck spark plug that hung progress up. That gave me time to ponder, which led to me deciding to buy a used finned aluminum differential cover for the Dana 60. The vibe here for my unrestored truck is same as the '72 K/20 Highlander I had a while back...a survivor cool 4wd from days past. I like the dull raw aluminum look of the slots and the diff cover, so when I could only find a polished new matching cover for the Dana 44, I soaked it in a muriatic acid solution to "age" it. One thing leads to another, and since pulling the heads was necessary, I found myself cleaning top end parts while the heads were in the machine shop. With everything all clean and ready but no heads yet, I had time to ponder a little more, and next thing I know I have a vintage set of finned aluminum Eldelbrock valve covers with the three holes my truck requires that are just the right patina. So until I get the truck back together I thought I'd snap a shot of all goodies gathered. This stuff doesn't get my truck running, but it sure helps me feel better till that day comes. I think the parts all look happy together
Attached Images

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 07:13 AM   #2
GR8-68

Re: Vintage Style Upgrades For My K2500

There is nothing that screams cool as loud as vintage in my eyes. You cannot help but love the old vintage slots, and those valve covers rock

It is easily overlooked that what is now called vintage was once brand new.

"Project 68"

paypal.me/ldgrant
GR8-68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 07:37 AM   #3
72 tigger

Going to look cool & be a little lighter too!
72 tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 08:32 AM   #4
72 Super

The slots will really look good on your truck Tim!

Ray
Old 06-19-2016, 09:23 AM   #5
Jeff's bowtie's

Very cool love the vintage look
Jeff's bowtie's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 09:27 AM   #6
bowtie72

That is going to look great. Excellent choice.
Old 06-19-2016, 09:44 AM   #7
robs71

Nice assortment of the ((good stuff))....Great hanging out with you yesterday.Rob
Old 06-19-2016, 09:53 AM   #8
sean1969c10

Love period correct parts!! Nice score, the truck is gonna look great.

"If your gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough"

1960 Chevy Impala Sedan - my 25 year search is over!!
1969 C-10 longbed - Nice day DD
1970 Chevy Nova - Street and Strip Project
2002 Acura MDX my DD
2007 Honda Odssey - My Wife's "Mommy Van"
sean1969c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 09:54 AM   #9
special-K
Special Order

Thanks fellers. Now to put them on the truck!! I have a Lok-Rite or maybe other type (forget) to put up front when I do the cover. Truck is already equipped with factory Trac-Lok in rear. Might even fix the outer rockers and one corner this summer

Rob, the feelings are mutual. The boy has an awesome truck, too. I meant to ask if you had the missing trim pieces. Might have what you need, PM me on that. He'll like the price, I gay-rauwn-tee! (I wish there was a better phonic way to start that. Make sure you read the WHOLE thing! )

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 06-19-2016 at 10:04 AM.
Old 06-19-2016, 11:09 AM   #10
firedemon

I think they should make more performance intakes with the oil tube so we can run those old 327 corvette valve covers
firedemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 11:44 AM   #11
jerry moss
Born Psycho

Thumbs up Re: Vintage Style Upgrades For My K2500

lookin good Tim !!!!!
69 suburban K20-tilt,tach,vacuum,speedwarning,buckets,shoulder belts,am/fm,4 inch all spring lift,4 speed, 14 bolt full floater, dana 44 HD,warn winch,posi front and rear,tow hooks,plus other goodies.
73/80 chevy/gmc K20 SB400,turbo 400,205,tilt,a-c,gas hog.
77 K/5 cheyenne blazer-daily driver/beater. SON HAS IT NOW
BRENTWOOD,CALIFORNIA
jerry moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 08:19 PM   #12
CG
BlahBlahBlah

I obviously love the look of slots. I just purchased a set of old finned aluminum valve covers for the 454. The covers on it now are vintage, but I know someone that has been pinning for them for a very long time, so they will be going to him.

As far as underneath I'm good with semi gloss black for everything except the shocks and boots. I'm too lazy to deal with cool stuff underneath, haha! Your truck is going to look great Tim.

I do like stuff a little bit shiny though, not chrome shiny, but polished nicely.
Old 06-19-2016, 10:36 PM   #13
davischevy

I love it when a plan comes together.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 10:40 PM   #14
special-K
Special Order

Yes, I know you have good taste . The truck is showing some age and the older looking parts will fit right in, and "fix it up" w/o fixing it up... for the meantime. One thing led to the other. Probably once I do body and paint I will go back to all black undies. It may end up with an HO52 rear and a Dana 60 front axle. I'll want them subdued and only add to the beefy factor without showing off. The lift will decrease, rubber will go to 285/75-16 on 16 x 8 steelies with hubcaps.

Tim

Last edited by special-K; 06-21-2016 at 07:40 AM.
Old 06-19-2016, 11:04 PM   #15
davischevy

You can't go puttin' shiny stuff on an original truck.

I have gone to a lot of trouble to find good original parts for my Longhorn. I have bought some NOS but it would look out of place on the truck as it is now.

I think I mentioned a while back I was dealing on a low mileage 72 K20.It is a really nice original truck, with original rockers. It has never sat outside and I could have detailed it and been happy, but the guy that has it had the bed media blasted. I will probably paint the bed and watch for an original paint bed.

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
Old 06-19-2016, 11:15 PM   #16
joeydurango

That's going to look good Tim!
1976 Trans Am | 455/4-spd | TOTALED
joeydurango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 03:06 AM   #17
Dave K.

Great stuff--can't recommend a correct brush guard highly enough as well!
Dave K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 06:54 AM   #18
special-K
Special Order

Yeah, life is good when a plan comes together (musta posted at same time). I was getting into working on it when these people who claimed to be related to me started showing up wanting to cook all this good food on my grilles. Then they hung around till it was too late to get back into it

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedemon View Post
I think they should make more performance intakes with the oil tube so we can run those old 327 corvette valve covers
It would be nice if someone made an air gap dual plane early SBC manifold. I built a 327 for my '67 project and used early 64cc heads w/o alternator mount bosses to get the look. I also had an oil fill intake I was going to use an go with Corvette valve covers. But the manifold was a Torker, so not well suited for my uses and I went with a new air gap dual plane. The heads are better than the '68 truck heads that were on it, but now I could be using the newer style heads because the look went more toward a Z/28 with those valve covers and dual snorkle air cleaner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry moss View Post
lookin good Tim !!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeydurango View Post
That's going to look good Tim!
Great to know I have the "Double Js" stamp of approval (Thanks, couldn't think of anything else to say)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post
Great stuff--can't recommend a correct brush guard highly enough as well!
Ya know, I've had a couple versions here I was considering, a push bar and a GM accessory bush guard. But I decided I want a cleaner look and hate to obscure any of that proud steel GMC grille. I even had N.O.S. bumper guards and feel they compete with the grille design. I may pop some 67-70 style on for a while, but the big plan calls for a winch/winch bumper.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davischevy View Post
You can't go puttin' shiny stuff on an original truck.

I have gone to a lot of trouble to find good original parts for my Longhorn. I have bought some NOS but it would look out of place on the truck as it is now.

I think I mentioned a while back I was dealing on a low mileage 72 K20.It is a really nice original truck, with original rockers. It has never sat outside and I could have detailed it and been happy, but the guy that has it had the bed media blasted. I will probably paint the bed and watch for an original paint bed.
That's right. I had that original K/20 Highlander with dull dinged up trim. I put the correct mirrof back on, took the '73 tool & stowage door that was white off, and color-match spray bombed a correct one I had. I put all new suspension, steering, bearings, seals under it. When it came to wheels, I had a set of 9.75 wide powder coated wheels to use, but went with 16" Pro-comp rubber when they were doing a buy 3 get 4th free deal. I got Xtremes (like M/T claws) for summer/dry/hiway/beach use and to keep with the cheapass theme I went with everybody hates wagon wheels. I had all three vintage wide wheels in 16.5 (Turbine/slots/steelies) and that is where my heart was. But I thought the spokers would look sharp with the white, give the "been built for years" look I wanted, and I like to make people take another look and what they thought they didn't like. The perfectest part was, I let them lay in my shop for about a year. This was near the end of my marriage and she was an unhappy beast. I had them on ice because she was scrutinizing everything I did at that point and I was just plain too busy to work on that one. While they sat there I guess a cat liked to pee on them and a couple wheels has powder coat popping off some with a little rust. At first it upset me. It was too late and too much hassle to deal with any warranty claim and I came to realize it was perfect. Matched the truck just right. Thank you Tom Cat! I didn't want anybody thinking I bought those anyway
Attached Images

Tim

Old 06-21-2016, 07:50 AM   #19
special-K
Special Order

I found a place to buy the activating cam for the Selectro hubs. I'm surprised people fall over themselves to pay out da ying yang for the OEMs on a non-original truck and show no love for the era correct upgrades. You can still buy brand new Warns for what people pay for used plastic knob Spicers. Don't get me wrong, I like them too. I have N.O.S full set, rings with dials, and just dials all in GM boxes. I have '70 red dials (GMC has red emblems) in mint condition, too. But I also have Dual-Matics, Warn Loc-O-Matics, these Selectros, and some others I can't recall at the moment. I still use 4wd and I'd hate to bugger up the N.O.S. at this point. I decided tom put these into action along with the slots. They are supposed to have paint in the back ground (looks like gold), but I like the shiny chrome along with the old lug nuts I cleaned up

Tim

Old 06-21-2016, 11:59 AM   #20
cleszkie

Make sure those old valve covers have oil baffles under the openings. Otherwise, your PCV valve will suck oil into you engine and give it a nice coating of carbon in the combustion chambers. Ask me how I know
cleszkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 11:08 PM   #21
special-K
Special Order

DOH! Yeah, they do. These are perfect for my needs. I bought a '71 Blazer back in '83 that had an angry 350 in it. It was built for a Vega. It went less than 1,000 miles before the guy totalled the car. It was blowing oil out of everywhere possible. I forget what valve covers were on it, but they were 283/327 style with no PVC, no vent, no nothing. I bought chrome Edelbrock signature series and put big ole K&N breathers on each side. Leaks stopped and no gaskets required. But it whistled like a tea kettle. People asked if it had a supercharger. It was at the rear valley of the Torker manifold. Didn't need no stinking wide open manifold on there anyway, So I ran it once in a mud bog...won street class with the 13/37 Super Swampers running that thing screamin' wide open throwing four rooster tails. Then changed it out for one more suitable for a truck. It was a gas in big sediment ponds.

White spokes again. No vintage accessories on this one. It's a vintage picture! This thing had the finned aluminum extra capacity covers. TransDapt I believe. Detroit Locker/Tru-Trac, my favorite combo:
Attached Images

Tim

Last edited by special-K; 06-23-2016 at 07:05 AM.
Old 06-23-2016, 02:38 PM   #22
midniteblues

This was near the end of my marriage and she was an unhappy beast.

Please Excuse my abreviated French here. But after reading this I gotta say. An I'm sure you'll agree.
Devorce....
The f'ing that you got in the begining of marriage. wasn't worth the f'ing that you got in the Devorce.

Don't remember where I read this one...
In the beginning all you needed was two hearts and a diamond.
In the end you wish you had two clubs and a spade.

Or this one....

There is 3 rings in marriage.
First the Engagement ring.
Then the wedding ring.
And afterwards the....

Suffer ring!

Cool add on's there tim.
If I didn't come across these accurides, slots or turbines were my next choice.
how could ya go wrong with any of them.

I dig the old school looks of a cb antenna too...my future plans.

Oh btw, I do love my wife
'74 heald super bronc vt8. tecumseh powered moon rover.
midniteblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 09:23 PM   #23
davischevy

Nice save midniteblues. You never know when she might be looking over your shoulder.

I am pretty fond of my wife too.

Old 06-23-2016, 11:13 PM   #24
special-K
Special Order

She's on her third marriage, no kids this time. I've had one and done. I don't want any more kids, still have mine, so no point in another marriage. Don't need to marry to have love and my marriage didn't seem to mean commitment anyway. She was never good at gardening, but she dug a hole, kicked me in, and up came roses

Tim

Old 06-24-2016, 11:56 AM   #25
midniteblues

Quote:
Originally Posted by davischevy View Post
Nice save midniteblues. You never know when she might be looking over your shoulder.

I am pretty fond of my wife too.

Yep yep thank you, (as I take a bow).
I hope some one here atleast smiled.

My wife has heard them many times before so many times she doesn't even kick me any more for telling them.

Some white headers on there tim will help the look too.thats if your running headers.
'74 heald super bronc vt8. tecumseh powered moon rover.
midniteblues is offline   Reply With Quote