The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-20-2016, 02:12 PM   #1
par4tom

Differences in Outer Door Skins

Is there a difference in manufacturers and the gauge of metal they use in replacement door skins? Can someone recommend a supplier that has a very good quality skin?

I looked at Mar-K and they don't seem to offer this type of product. Auto Metal Direct offers the full door skin but I don't have any info on the quality of their product.

I'm looking to cut and replace both driver and passenger side door skins due to rust and damage. Repairing existing door skins is not an option.

Thank you,
Tom
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post7236896
Building Your Own Speaker Kick Pods
http://http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=730495
par4tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 10:22 PM   #2
Bret B

Re: Differences in Outer Door Skins

So far, I've purchased patch panels and rockers from Top Banana and the fit has been pretty good. I still have yet to get the doors handled, and can't answer the gauge thickness question.
.................|_/(0)\_ll____/(0)_l.
Bret B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 07:47 AM   #3
Lugnutz65

Quote:
Originally Posted by par4tom View Post
Is there a difference in manufacturers and the gauge of metal they use in replacement door skins? Can someone recommend a supplier that has a very good quality skin?

I looked at Mar-K and they don't seem to offer this type of product. Auto Metal Direct offers the full door skin but I don't have any info on the quality of their product.

I'm looking to cut and replace both driver and passenger side door skins due to rust and damage. Repairing existing door skins is not an option.

Thank you,
Tom
I think you will find that there are probably only 2 or 3 different manufacturers for sheet metal. The vendors sell the same basic stuff and one vendor might actually sell sheet metal from several manufacturers. So I don't think you will find that it makes any difference who you buy it from.

I bought a full door skin for my 1965 C10. After installation, I noticed that the front and rear door gaps were HUGE. I measured and sure enough, the new skin was about 1/8" narrower. The solution will be to weld a metal rod along the front and rear edge of the door to fill the gap. Just no way around it.

Another thing about the full door skin. The inset for the handle is slightly different. The handle mounts just fine but stands away from the inner latch mechanism just a bit further than factory. So when I had mine put back together and pushed the thumb button, it didn't quite push the inner mechanism enough to open the door. So I needed to extend the piece on the handle that pushes the inner latch release mechanism.

I have purchased sheet metal from Top Banana and Car and Truck Shop. Pretty satisfied with price. Can't really do anything about the poor fit.

Want to know more about T5 transmissions? My website has a T5 Info Page and a Step by Step T5 rebuild.
Lugnutz65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 08:47 PM   #4
racecougar

While we're talking about door patch panels, another thing to watch for is the improper stamping of the interior body line.

Old 06-23-2016, 02:56 PM   #5
timmytimm3

I got my door skins from Top Banana and they fit pretty nice. There's pics in my build thread.

timmytimm3 on IG

"If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you?" -Dad
timmytimm3 is offline   Reply With Quote