The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-21-2016, 05:43 PM   #1
RaceProMarketing

Tire rub on 5-7 drop

1983 C10. The truck was dropped when I purchased it and needs some serious upgrades ... but ... I was surprised that the only tire rub I have is on the right front when making a medium-to-hard left hand turn.

I assumed that the tires (245/50/20s) were rubbing the fender due to a bad spring cut or some other crazy reason. But I recently put an aftermarket bolt-in battery box in the the truck (the original was about to fall out), moving the battery forward about an inch and up about an inch. Now the rub is much less significant and I am positive that it's the tire hitting the battery box. I can possibly raise the box up another 1/2 inch to 1 inch.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Is it common to have to relocate the battery? I am 98% sure it's a 5/7 drop, but because I didn't do it, it's difficult to tell. There are no inner fenders (not much of anything in there actually). So what kind of trouble will I encounter if I decide to put inner fenders back in the truck.

I drive it daily and hate getting the sand/dirt/water off the road in bad weather.

Thanks.

Robert--
RaceProMarketing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 08:43 PM   #2
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Re: Tire rub on 5-7 drop

With out knowing exactly how you are lowered its hard to target your problem. If your rubbing on the stock battery tray, you will certainly rub on fender liners too. Lets take a look at what you do know, or can figure out and work from there.

Up front look at the spindles and try to determine what brand they are. That will help you narrow down what drop you have. Are the springs stock or after market? What about the shocks?

I can tell you that your tire is fairly tall for the drop that you think you have. lets look at what you have before anyone can offer advice on what you should do.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 11:36 AM   #3
RaceProMarketing

What I do know:
Stock Spindles; Stock Springs that have been cut (not sure how many coils are gone); Stock control arms; BellTech Shocks leaning back and mounted to the frame in an odd location. That's what I do know.

Also, the uppers are running up hill from the frame putting, the ball joints in a bind. My plan is to use a 2-inch drop spring, with a 3-inch drop spindle. It wouldn't hurt the truck to come up 1 inch all the way around, but since I've had it I have gotten used to it and I like the stance. (My wife says it's like getting out of the car). I'm gonna need new tires soon (may not make it through summer) so I am gonna have to make a decision soon on the appropriate size because I can't afford to spend money on something twice.
Attached Images

RaceProMarketing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 12:04 PM   #4
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

If its that low on stock spindles and cut springs, get rid of those springs. I dont care for lowering springs on these trucks. i prefer to cut stock coils correctly (no heat) and cut the correct amount. By 3" spindles and cut a coil off of new springs.

I'm not sure what going on with the shock, but too much angle defeats its ability to perform. Replace the stock mounting studs or splurge on a relocating kit for more travel.

Once you get the drop worked out then you can decide what size tires to run.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 05:23 PM   #5
SCOTI

Part of the prob is the front tire height. 29.5" tall fronts are going to rub something w/a 5" front drop.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote