The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-21-2016, 07:28 PM   #1
mechanixman

Fiddy Two Power Steering

Hey folks!
I'm looking at getting a power steering kit for my truck, but I don't want to pay the $600-$700 price tag for a one, but I can stomach $500 a kit.
Do you guys and gals know if members of this board get a discount with any vendor? What vendors have you guys used/do you trust?

Thanks a bunch in advance!

Projects:
1952 Chevy 1 ton = The Build page
mechanixman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 03:17 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: Fiddy Two Power Steering

Summit has the Cpp kit that mounts in the stock location for 538 without the pump or pump bracket. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/c...uZpBoC_Evw_wcB

Classic parts has the one that mounts in front of the axle and works like a later model 4x4 box. again no pump or pump bracket but it's a bit cheaper. http://www.classicpartsusa.com/produ...nd_Other_Items

Speedway has a "use your own box" kit that isn't spendy and would get you well within budget as they say on TV http://www.speedwaymotors.com/1947-5...Kit,25170.html You could source the box and pump locally and find a vendor who sells the pump bracket and I think one of our own member vendors may sell that.

Here is a link to an alternator and power steering bracket for a 216/235 assuming that is what you have in the truck http://www.ebay.com/itm/10031-ALTERN...MAAOSwDN1US7Y1

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.

Last edited by mr48chev; 06-22-2016 at 03:24 PM.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 04:07 PM   #3
OrrieG

I made my own brackets for the 59 using the 74 donor truck to set up the geometry. 74 PS box and pump, also made the PS bracket. I know this is a TF 4WD application, but just posted to show it does not make sense to pay hundreds of dollars for a couple of dollars worth of steel. And CCP, etc. actually used concepts developed by garage rodders for their designs.
Attached Images

OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 12:57 AM   #4
mechanixman

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it,
I actually found a cpp contact when looking though the 67-72 section of this forum.
I had found a few things like this,
http://www.hartrods.com/steering/194...m-box-kit.html
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1947-1955-Ch...BWJU-y&vxp=mtr
http://www.ebay.com/itm/47-48-49-50-...5Rt51b&vxp=mtr
But I had never heard of "hartrods" before, and I don't want to be left high and dry interacting with the wrong ebay vendor.

OrrieG, I've gone through 4 or 5 separate steering designs spanning the course of a couple years. I was finally happy with the most recent design, (the last picture) till a buddy of mine tore up the drag link by cranking the wheel too far before I put in steering stops. Although it did seem like a blessing in disguise, because everyone I talked to convinced me to convert to tie rod ends due to the fact that I have disc brakes up front. So I've spent the past 8 months (on and off. School does take priority) looking for tie rod ends that would work. I went to two different auto parts stores that I frequent, and spent a couple hours in each testing every tie rod they had in stock, and I've got nothing. On top of that, I did have a certified welder shorten my pitman arm, but I still don't know if I trust that.
The biggest problem I've had with my truck since I bought it was the steering. It's gotten to the point where I almost want to sell the truck and try again because I don't want to try new steering ideas anymore. So when my dad came to me and said he doesn't want to see me burn out like this, and offered to pay half the price of one of these kits. I couldn't resist. So Orrieg I appreciate your ingenuity and your go get 'em attitude, but I can't keep riding this carousel of futility anymore.

If anyone wanted to take on the task and make my manual steering solution work, I'd be grateful and indebted to them. But as of right now, I'd like the breathing room and ability to put the burden of accountability on someone else. If something breaks (god forbid) I want to be able to pass on the blame. Or if something doesn't line up correctly, I want to be able to call someone for help. I believe I'm paying for that in addition to the cheap pieces of metal. That's why I'm more comfortable spending $500-$700 on one of these kits than I'd otherwise be.

Thanks again you two for responding. That and being such active members of this board. I've been on here for close to 4 years now, and no matter what there has been a small group of members that always try to help. You two being in that group. So Thank You
Attached Images

Projects:
1952 Chevy 1 ton = The Build page

Last edited by mechanixman; 06-23-2016 at 01:06 AM.
mechanixman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 05:57 AM   #5
Stevetoxic

CPP kit worked a treat for my later (59) truck.

Stevetoxic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 07:18 PM   #6
OrrieG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevetoxic View Post
CPP kit worked a treat for my later (59) truck.
Do you have a build thread for the steering conversion or more photos?
Old 06-25-2016, 01:10 PM   #7
Stevetoxic

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrieG View Post
Do you have a build thread for the steering conversion or more photos?
No build thread, sorry.
Installation was simple enough - no holes to drill or fabrication other than modifying your steering column if you choose to keep it.

My original plan was to retain the original, modifying it with a CPP column saver bearing kit.
This changed when I discovered that a previous owner had butchered the splines and threads where the steering wheel mounts, and I could'nt find another here in England.
I ended up using an Ididit 32" column which made the install even easier !!

Should have mentioned it was a CPP400 kit, everything included.

Stevetoxic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 02:09 PM   #8
OrrieG

Thanks, side photo helped.