The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-24-2016, 03:23 PM   #1
dflarsen77

New to the forum, about to buy a 70 C10

Howdy folks. I've actually been browsing the forum for years, but I only recently registered because I finally got the OK from the wife to get a truck. My oldest son is turning 14 in August, so I'm planning on a simple 2 year project that he'll be able to drive, and I'll be able to haul wood for my furniture making, and whatever else.

I've got a truck already lined up to look at tomorrow, found it on CL.

http://fresno.craigslist.org/cto/5617549802.html

I talked to the guy, and he says there isn't any noticeable rust in the rockers, sills, door bottoms.
- There is some in the front passenger fender on the very front lower edge.
- It has an Edelbrock 1406 that he says needs a rebuild, thinks the accel pump is out (I know new gas ruins the plastic rod), so that isn't a big deal to me, I've rebuilt carbs, and I hear these are easy-ish.
- It has dual auxiliary gas tanks, but he says they're disconnected.
- It was converted to 5 lug and front discs, but he knows little about it, the PO did it, told him the disc setup was from a 71 camaro.

Otherwise, I see the 73+ bumper (apparently they fit...), rando steering wheel, white primer job over an obviously yellow truck, hood hinge issue.

So what can anyone else see or what else should I look for? I've read a couple buying guides, and I'm familiar with buying old cars, but this is the first I've done for myself.

It's not in amazing shape, but he's giving me what I think is a decent deal for what it is and what I need for now. Unless anyone local to Modesto, CA has a better deal and a better truck!
dflarsen77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 03:43 PM   #2
Coley

Smile Re: New to the forum, about to buy a 70 C10

Welcome to the forum!
There are a lot of folks here who can be a great source of information and assistance on these trucks so hopefully you will find it of use.
As for the truck generally.....looks pretty acceptable for a $3500 asking price. Try him out at $3000 for an offer and see what he says.
As for the truck specifics...check out the body underneath. The rockers, the cab support the cab corners...look for rust or major damage.
This will be your most expensive endeavor in putting a restoration together.
The mechanics are relatively cheap and easy so you don't have to initially sweat those perhaps as much.
I would seriously take a close look at those front brakes tho'....'71 Camaro?
If you and/or your son are hauling wood in a 4000lb truck....you probably don't want to rely on brakes from a Camaro to stop you....food for thought.
perhaps find a disc set from a '71/'72 1/2 ton truck to put on there.
All good
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 03:44 PM   #3
TheCougarine

Re: New to the forum, about to buy a 70 C10

First thing I'd look at is at any rust on it. I'm not saying anything against the seller but peoples idea of what significant rust is can be every different. I doubt it'd be a huge issue out in cali but I've looked at vehicles that had "minor rust" that I honestly would have been concerned to hit a pot hole it. I looked at a truck that was "rust free" that literally had one of the bedsides rusted completely out. Just make sure to look it over well and id say you'll be fine.
TheCougarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 08:09 PM   #4
swamp rat

The lower passenger fender rust is common, its from the battery acid working its way down.

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 09:57 PM   #5
garyd1961

looks like a good project truck to me but I would check underneath first. Make sure the frame is solid and straight, nothing bent or broken. Then if it runs and drives straight it should be ok.
garyd1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 10:22 PM   #6
70 shorty
Where's my beer?

That steering wheel is from an early 60's Chevy truck.
'08 Tahoe LTZ 4x4 155K
70 shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 05:08 AM   #7
midniteblues

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70 shorty View Post
That steering wheel is from an early 60's Chevy truck.

I agree. It could be from a c40 or larger truck.it certainly looks like a larger diameter wheel.
can't see any other reason why it's actually touching the seat.

I would look it over very carefully.
If it does have camaro brakes then the front wheels
are 5 on 4 3/4" lug pattern.
Curious what the lug pattern is on the rear axle.
Perhaps it has some lug adapters
'74 heald super bronc vt8. tecumseh powered moon rover.
midniteblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 10:00 AM   #8
mike16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCougarine View Post
First thing I'd look at is at any rust on it. I'm not saying anything against the seller but peoples idea of what significant rust is can be every different. I doubt it'd be a huge issue out in cali but I've looked at vehicles that had "minor rust" that I honestly would have been concerned to hit a pot hole it. I looked at a truck that was "rust free" that literally had one of the bedsides rusted completely out. Just make sure to look it over well and id say you'll be fine.
X2. if its a good deal go for it but be deffensive.when people qualify thier statements. it raises red flags. "There isnt any noticable rust" is a meaningless guarentee. dig hard and dig deep, real deep. Fuel problems like disconnecter saddle tanks and a e brock with a bad accelorator pump. Hmm? "fuel problems" can hide alot of engin problems.Not sayin there is any concern. but eliminate it your self rather than take someone elses word for it. you cant rebuild the carb you decide to buy the truck but deduct parts and labor, same with no noticable rust. six vs five lug, from a camaro? wtf is that?same same. be carefull.
nobody gets rid of a simple reliable functioning truck. Even if it was a normal truck without the warts he's asking too much. We love pictures on this forum but there is no comparrison to actual hands on look.

I bought a 72, 307 3speed on the column long fleet c10 off the son of the origonal owner with paperwork and 71k on the odometer. I paid 1750 for it and drove it home. It was not a "project" but still required about 1k more to make it right. I drive it 3 times a week and put over 2000 miles a year on it.. dont know why the market is so "different " in cali. what I'm sayin is, for a project he's askin too muck. two years could be plenty of time or not enough time. If its a parts truck thats been cobbled together and thrown out there to see what bites. be carefull. bring a second set of knowlegable eyes.

Those are the CL pictures but have you gone and looked at it in person yet? look hard and long befor parting with any money. 3500 project truck plus two years to fix it up. whats your budget?

others may rant about how jaded some of us are. well when they foot the bill for needed repairs so will they. or maybe not.... but be defensive because when the deal is done, all sales are final. its all over but the cryin..... or as they say on ebay.... Bid with confidence. just kiddin but not really. be very deffensive when shopping.

Last edited by mike16; 06-25-2016 at 10:18 AM.
mike16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 11:43 AM   #9
frenchy51

I agree with most of the posts. Rust is an expensive problem. Especially if you can't do the repairs yourself. Mechanical issues are easy and less $$$. Even a new engine is minor compared to extensive body work. A quickie paint job can hide a lot of problems. Look for bubbled paint indicating rust underneath. Go around it with a refrig magnet and see if it sticks everywhere. If it doesn't-may be lots of bondo under the paint.....On the other hand, the picture of the inside of the bed with original (?) paint looks pretty good.....It appears to be a good solid truck. I've bought trucks similar to that in the $2500 range. See how bad he wants to sell it-go lo-ball first. You can always go higher-hard to go lower....
1977 GMC HeavyHalf
several adopted orphans
frenchy51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 12:25 PM   #10
dflarsen77

Thanks guys, that's some great info. He already agreed to $3k, and if I find anything significant, I'll bid him lower, like swiss cheese in the floors, etc. I am planning to do my own rust repairs. I haven't welded on a car in years but I don't think it'll be impossible. I'm going to look at it this evening though, I'll get some pics up when I do!
Old 06-27-2016, 02:33 AM   #11
dflarsen77

Holy moly what a day. I bought the truck, agreed on 2900. It is shockingly without rust. The cab mounts, rockers, doors, bed. I feel like I'll find some. But it was made in Fremont, CA, the Bay Area, and it's probably just been in the relatively dry climate here. It's got problems though. I'm have a couple pics but no time to post. I stopped for gas on the way home after 90 miles of the 120 mile trip, and it had used 14 gallons! That's 6 mpg. But then it wouldn't start and started to smell like gas. I got it towed the last little bit, then when it got home, tow truck left, it started right up. Arg! And then sat all night wouldn't start today. Turns over but doesn't start.

I haven't had time to really check fuel and spark, but I know the 1406 edelbrock carb needs at least a rebuild ($42 on eBay with a steel rod pump and brass floats), and it smells like gas. It also has dual auxiliary tanks, and the switch tangle under the cab looks like a disaster. So I'll be doing lotsa stuff to it. But thanks all for the tips. Really helped me make a decision!
Old 06-27-2016, 02:43 AM   #12
TheCougarine

sounds like you got a good start. Mechanical stuff is easier to deal with that having to try and fix a rusty body. Probably not something too major anyway. Good luck with the project.
TheCougarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 05:41 AM   #13
prodjay10

I saw the picture of the electric fuel pump. It may be the reason for your issue diving home. I've always had issues with them in cars I've bought that had them installed. I would end up replacing with mechanical original style pump. The electric ones were always too high pressure, giving the carb more gas than it could handle.

Also check engine oil level and see if it smells like gasoline. You may need to do an oil change.

These are only suggestions from my personal experience. Diagnose first before replacing parts.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by prodjay10; 06-28-2016 at 05:54 AM.
prodjay10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 06:16 AM   #14
jjzepplin

Posting is deleted. I think some pics are in order. Good luck with the new ride. Could just get a fuel regulator. Those carbs are very sensitive to pressure.
jjzepplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 01:58 PM   #15
dflarsen77

I'm starting a thread on fixing the initial problems, and I'll do one on the general build. But here's a couple awesome shots:

Selfie on the way home. My front lens is blurry, but I'd have to take the protector off to fix it, and that sounds like a lot of work

Day 3 in the 105 degree heat of the northern California Central Valley! And according to the VIN, it's not a GMC!

Old 06-28-2016, 04:43 PM   #16
jjzepplin

Good looking truck! Like the steering wheel! Sorry I missed something....GMC?= Got More Chevrolets?
jjzepplin is offline   Reply With Quote