The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-24-2016, 07:04 PM   #1
TA1968

Fitech

How about any updates from the members who are running the system. Personally my experience with this system sucks. First sent back the command center leaked gas on the top sent it back got new one all good there. As for this system learning mine is as dumb as a door knob. Self learning I dont think so.
TA1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 09:53 PM   #2
TCCGRIZ

Re: Fitech

Well I ordered mine 3 an a half months ago , They have changed the shipping date 5 times . Supposed to ship the 30th . I am not using the fuel command with mine. Heard they are having issues with them.
Now your making me nervous !!! What issues are you having besides the command center ?
TCCGRIZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 10:13 PM   #3
Z10

I've got one in my 69 Camaro on top of a ZZ4. Probably have less than 100 miles on it, because I've just been too hooked up to play with it. So far so good. The car sat for 3 or 4 weeks, try to start it and it fired right up.

So far so good. I just need to get time to drive it more.

Attached Images

1979 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 & 1979 Pontiac Trans Am 10th Anniversary
1999 Honda Valkyrie
2006 Corvette Z06
2010 BMW 650i
Z10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 11:03 PM   #4
Lancialonnie

I've been on the edge and getting close to pulling the trigger on a FItech setup. I hope some other folks are having better luck with these. I sure like the price!
Lancialonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 12:40 AM   #5
Mrturner1

I have one of these on layaway and slowly paying it off it's going on top of a Weiand 144 blower, mounted on a forged 383, should be lots of fun to drive. I've heard that with an MSD 6al box and some gauges the things you can do and control/tweak are endless.
Mrturner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 12:41 AM   #6
Mrturner1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z10 View Post
I've got one in my 69 Camaro on top of a ZZ4. Probably have less than 100 miles on it, because I've just been too hooked up to play with it. So far so good. The car sat for 3 or 4 weeks, try to start it and it fired right up.

So far so good. I just need to get time to drive it more.

Is that water/methanol injection?!
Old 06-25-2016, 01:58 PM   #7
TA1968

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCCGRIZ View Post
Well I ordered mine 3 an a half months ago , They have changed the shipping date 5 times . Supposed to ship the 30th . I am not using the fuel command with mine. Heard they are having issues with them.
Now your making me nervous !!! What issues are you having besides the command center ?
[AFR---Air Fuel Ratio]

Mine runs rich at idle cant lower the AFR any lower than 11.50

When I let it coast a while on straight road and even down hill the AFR jumps to 20.6.

When I stomp on fuel its just blah stumbles.

I took it to a shop that tunes but being its a new system they did what they could do.they said i could bring it back but why bother i can keep trying my self.

E-Mailed fitech about problem Thu 6/9/2016 they finally just got back to me.
Old 06-25-2016, 08:48 PM   #8
TCCGRIZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TA1968 View Post
[AFR---Air Fuel Ratio]

When I let it coast a while on straight road and even down hill the AFR jumps to 20.6.

I took it to a shop that tunes but being its a new system they did what they could do.they said i could bring it back but why bother i can keep trying my self.

I emailed them also ,they are probably still figuring how to respond to my insensitivity lol
I hope they gave you some answers
TCCGRIZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 10:48 PM   #9
roboticjunky

Quote:
Originally Posted by TA1968 View Post
[AFR---Air Fuel Ratio]

That's odd. You should be able to to change your AFR. There's 6 different break points that you can adjust the AFR. I would go back and make sure the initial basic set-up is right. Also try different cam setting, if you have it on No. 2 maybe try No. 1 instead.

I've been running the Fitech 600HP model and FCC for 2 months. You still have to tweak some of the setting to make it run better. My 72 C10 is running good and gas mileage has gone up. I was getting 11 mpg, now I'm getting (guessing) around 14 mpg. Also did a top end rebuild at the same time I swapped to Fitech. Also showing 20:1 on the handheld is because it's leaning since you're slowing down. I did have 1 problem with the DFCO (Decel Fuel Cut Off). It cuts your fuel injectors off when you are slowing down in certain situations. I sped up to 55 mph and had to slow down. I took my foot off the gas pedal and the injectors cut off, but when I got back on the gas pedal, I had nothing. Pulled to the side off the road and stumbled and died. It was on 20:1 during that time. I couldn't restart it. The handheld said target AFR was 12.5:1, but actual reading was still 20:1. The injectors never came back on. So I unhooked the battery for 30 seconds and hooked it back up. Then ran fine the rest of the way home.

Here's the definitions for the handheld.
http://fitechefi.com/files/Handheldc...efinitions.pdf

Also how to adjust your fuel pump too.
http://fitechefi.com/files/GoEFIPuls...thpictures.pdf

Here's a good thread over on Chevelles.com
http://www.chevelles.com/forums/89-e...tings-etc.html
roboticjunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 10:52 PM   #10
Mrturner1

Good grief, maybe it's time to cancel the layaway and get the Holley EFI
Old 06-25-2016, 11:39 PM   #11
roboticjunky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrturner1 View Post
Good grief, maybe it's time to cancel the layaway and get the Holley EFI
I heard the Holly self learning TBI is just a rebadged FiTech unit.
roboticjunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 11:54 PM   #12
Mrturner1

Quote:
Originally Posted by roboticjunky View Post
I heard the Holly self learning TBI is just a rebadged FiTech unit.
I'd go with the Holley Terminator EFI if I went that route, not sure about the TBI bug I wouldn't want one
Old 06-26-2016, 02:15 AM   #13
Z10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrturner1 View Post
Is that water/methanol injection?!
No, that is what FiTech calls their "Fuel Commander". It's what I call a surge tank. You send fuel from your mechanical fuel pump to the tank. The tank has a high-pressure pump which feeds the TBI. The benefit for using one of these is you don't have to modify or change out your factory fuel tank.

You can see how what one was built from scratch on my build link below, which was installed on my 72 GMC. We hid it next to the battery next to the fender.

The FiTech version is really pretty slick. Had it been available when we were building the 72, I would have bought it for the TPI system on the truck.
1979 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 & 1979 Pontiac Trans Am 10th Anniversary
1999 Honda Valkyrie
2006 Corvette Z06
2010 BMW 650i
Z10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 06:20 AM   #14
Jrainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by roboticjunky View Post
That's odd. You should be able to to change your AFR. There's 6 different break points that you can adjust the AFR. I would go back and make sure the initial basic set-up is right. Also try different cam setting, if you have it on No. 2 maybe try No. 1 instead.

I've been running the Fitech 600HP model and FCC for 2 months. You still have to tweak some of the setting to make it run better. My 72 C10 is running good and gas mileage has gone up. I was getting 11 mpg, now I'm getting (guessing) around 14 mpg. Also did a top end rebuild at the same time I swapped to Fitech. Also showing 20:1 on the handheld is because it's leaning since you're slowing down. I did have 1 problem with the DFCO (Decel Fuel Cut Off). It cuts your fuel injectors off when you are slowing down in certain situations. I sped up to 55 mph and had to slow down. I took my foot off the gas pedal and the injectors cut off, but when I got back on the gas pedal, I had nothing. Pulled to the side off the road and stumbled and died. It was on 20:1 during that time. I couldn't restart it. The handheld said target AFR was 12.5:1, but actual reading was still 20:1. The injectors never came back on. So I unhooked the battery for 30 seconds and hooked it back up. Then ran fine the rest of the way home.

Here's the definitions for the handheld.
http://fitechefi.com/files/Handheldc...efinitions.pdf

Also how to adjust your fuel pump too.
http://fitechefi.com/files/GoEFIPuls...thpictures.pdf

Here's a good thread over on Chevelles.com
http://www.chevelles.com/forums/89-e...tings-etc.html
12.3 AFR is considered target AFR for performance conditions , and yes you want a decal cut this and mapping of 20-1 AFR as you let off the pedal helps in decal backfire issues .

I don't know much about the Fitech system in general but I have done my own Mapping with other Beta FI systems , Some FI Brains can be mapped every 250 or so RPMS while other every 500 .

As the FI brain learns your driving habits it makes the AFR changes more quickly (seamlessly) we are talking Mili seconds ,The system really learns Not while driving but when you turn the system off that is when the brain puts what just happened in to memory storage , this why I always suggest short driving trips when the system is first installed its much easier for the brain to digest and in turn the system will really learn faster with less hiccups so to speak .
Jrainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 08:27 AM   #15
TA1968

Update on my issues sent to Fitech

I have several questions.

1. When I set my IAC steps to 9-10 it never stays there after driving one day to the next it changes why? From what I’ve been reading it should be set around that figure. It will be like 3 or so when it changes from day to day.

2. When I’m out driving my AFR is set for a certain # like 12.50 but when I get off the gas and coast for a little the Target ARF it jumps to 20.6 always. Don’t know why its dumping gas like that and soon as I get back on the gas it goes to lower ARF.

3. Why can’t I lower my Idle fuel ratio below 11.50 It smells rich all the time.

Their Response

The throttle stop setting for getting IAC below 10 is an initial setup thing that gets the throttle blades set up close enough to let the IAC do its job – the IAC will compensate for variations in engine load – such as electrical loads, oil temperatures, and slight variations in how perfectly the throttle closes. It also has to add a lot of air when the engine is cold, to maintain a higher idle RPM, and to provide the power needed to keep the engine turning through thicker oil. It’s normal for it to vary day to day.

As for AFR – engines have different requirements at different loads. Full throttle needs maximum power, which is achieved near 12.5. Cruising needs economy – so light loads, like 45kPa – 60kPa can withstand 14.0 all day long. Deceleration needs nothing, so, we disable the injections, and it will read air, which is the limit of the sensor at 20.6. It’s saving you fuel!

11.5: 1 is RICH – meaning way more fuel than you need. That’s why it smells. A lean idle is above 14.7. Most engines are quite stable idling between 13.2 and 13.9.

I hope this answers your questions! The out-of-the box AFRs are very close to ideal, and you may want to return them to it.

IDLE AFR: Try 13.5

1100 45kPa: Try 14.0
3000 45kPa: Try 14.0
6000 45kPa: Try 13.0

1100 95kPa: Try 12.5
3000 95kPa: Try 12.5
6000 95kPa: Try 12.5

So I was wrong about winch way to go with settings lower numbers are richer
higher numbers leaner. Hope this will help others.
Old 06-28-2016, 10:57 AM   #16
Big Kev-O

I have running my FiTech Go EFI 4 since January and put over 2000 miles on the system with no issues. I am not using the FCC. I could not get it to idle under 850rpm until I close the secondry throttle blades a bit by backing out the rear stop screw. My AFR is pretty steady, usually between 14.5:1 and 13.5:1. The AFR changes for a split second when hitting the brakes. FiTech took a few day to respond via email but they answered every call I made to tech support.

If I was looking to purchase one today I would probably conside the Holley which is very similar(if not identicle) to the FiTech just to have the support of a large company. That said FiTech has given me excellent support.
Old 06-28-2016, 01:34 PM   #17
old Chevy guy

Sounds like a cool setup but I'm fixing up old cars and truck to get away from all the headaches I've been having with all new technology computers. I can't take it anymore.i just bought a 1986 P 30 step van for my work van to do carpentry out of with a 350 and a quadrajet that has a th400 just to get away from the never ending crap that's always going on with my Chevy express 3500 box truck with the vortec. Lo-tech is my new friend.
old Chevy guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 09:01 PM   #18
Greekdog

I just finished rebuilding my 327 and I threw on the fitech instead of rebuilding the quadrajet.

It took a couple of days of tweaking to figure it out but it runs good now!

I also am using the fuel command center.

I would just call Fitech. My neighbor and I had the tech on the phone for nearly an hour getting mine going!

They were nice and gave a lot of good suggestions to try.
Greekdog is offline   Reply With Quote