The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-26-2016, 02:45 PM   #1
Bullett

Gyrating front wheel

So I took my 62' out for a ride this morning, was sitting at a stop light and a guy in the car behind me came up to say my passenger side wheel was wobbling "really bad". I was quite surprised since I don't feel anything in the wheel. I drove home slow and jacked up the truck and looked for any play in the wheel/tire. Not much of anything from side to side or top to bottom. I spun the wheel as fast as I could by hand and could see the wheel was gyrating. I did the same on the drivers front and got none. I did notice the drivers side spun easier as well. Almost like the passenger side had some drag on it. Any ideas? Thanks
Bullett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 03:38 PM   #2
padresag

Re: Gyrating front wheel

take it off and check it out. when was the last time you even packed your wheel bearings?
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 04:00 PM   #3
Chknlyps2

Get something steady like a milk crate, a couple jack stands, ammo cans etc. next to your wheel when it is jacked off the ground and lay a broom stick or something stable on the crate and hold the stick steady with the end real close to your rim near the bead and slowly spin the wheel and see if the gap between rim and stick stay even. You can tell if the rim is bent that way. You could also switch rims side to side to see if the problem follows the wheel to the other side or stays at the passenger side.

I have seen tires look like they are wobbling going down a 2 lane road when next to them but when you look at the rim it is running true. Tires are not always perfect and can make the the whole wheel look bad.
Chknlyps2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 08:16 PM   #4
Bullett

Well, I haven't checked wheel bearing, guess I figured a wheel bearing that bad would be very loud. Would a bad bearing allow the wheel wobble like that? I thought the person might have seen my center cap wobbling since it is warped a bit but again, just spinning my wheel fast by hand, I can see the wheel gyrating in and out quite obviously. I'm friggin amazed I can't feel it in the steering wheel. I will dig into the wheel bearings this week, won't hurt to repack or replace anyhow. If it is a wheel bearing, I'm surprised I can't feel it when I do the side to side and top to bottom wheel check.
Bullett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 08:41 PM   #5
padresag

your the person who is right there in front of it, there is only so much that it can be. if it is wobbling, spin the wheel and check where it is originating from. just use a point of reference as was stated. in your opening you stated, "Almost like the passenger side had some drag on it.". That would be either a brake shoe dragging, a wheel bearing or a stick stuck in behind the wheel
no one here can check it for you and if you are going to drive it; you will only make it worse or perhaps endanger someone
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 09:40 PM   #6
TwoFiftyShifter

Lot of things as mentioned. Bent rim? Bad tire sidewall? Are the shoes adjusted properly? Check for that stick behind the wheel too!