The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-30-2016, 12:51 AM   #1
Custom/20

Tach conversion

Hi everyone. I'm looking to convert my 69 cluster to a tach and am just wondering if any of you members have used this conversion kit from classicparts.com.

I have the stock 350 V8 with hei ignition.

http://www.classicparts.com/mobile/1.../#.V3Sh0ellDqA
Custom/20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 08:31 AM   #2
Rich69shortfleet

Re: Tach conversion

I bought the same kit from Manes Truck parts. Everything was fairly well made and it went together pretty easily. The printed circuit from my kit fried the first time I powered it up (it had a manufacturing flaw) but it was replaced at no cost. I'm not sure about their comment on it NOT working with HEI. I have HEI and the tach works just fine. Maybe there are different versions out there? I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the kit from Manes nor would I hesitate to recommend Manes as a source for parts. Manes also sells used parts which is great since some items are just not available new. They offer responsive and helpful service and reasonable prices vs. other sources.

Another thing to mention is that the tach conversion kit kind of assumes you already have a cluster with gauges (oil pressure, temp, amps) because it provides holes for them in the housing and the bezel. If you have the basic cluster (speedo and fuel only) you will be left with empty holes in the cluster unless you also buy gauges. The new printed circuit also assumes gauges so would not be compatible with the more basic cluster.

The Manes version: http://www.manestruckparts.com/store...Category_ID=20

Last edited by Rich69shortfleet; 06-30-2016 at 08:38 AM.
Rich69shortfleet is offline   Reply With Quote