The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-07-2016, 10:15 PM   #1
Tquillen

New to the board, steel wheel question

Hi folks, I've been lurking here for some time, and have acquired a '69 longbed C10 that I have really taken a liking to. I have done a number of small projects such as power brake conversion, power steering conversion, gotten all the electricals working, serpentine conversion, etc, but I have one item that I need some advice on. I've done some searches, and I haven't really found what I'm looking for.

I'm going to be keeping the drum brakes on the rear, but upgrading to the wider drum brake shoes/drums (I've already got the 4x4 backing plates to accomplish this). When I bought the truck, the front had already been converted from drum to discs, but the discs are 5x4.75" Chevelle rotors. I really want the larger diameter/thickness truck front rotors. I have not purchased anything for the front yet, and even though I currently have the 6 on 5.5" pattern on the rear, I'm certainly not married to that (I have the means and ability to plug/weld/redrill the axles, turn the center down, etc). I have decided to try to find a set of five (I want a spare) steel wheels that will accept the Chevrolet hubcaps that I already own, but I'm havng a horrendous time finding anything in the local yards with either a 6x5.5" or a 5x5" pattern. I'd really rather not buy new, since I've heard horror stories about a lot of the new steel wheels having out of round/warpage issues. What other truck/van applications have you guys used steel wheels from on our trucks? Ford? Dodge? Is there anything I need to look out for in terms of backspace or disc brake fitment with the non-GM steel wheels? Obviously, center cap fitment is important to me.

Thanks for any and all assistance and advice!

Travis Quillen
Tquillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 10:28 PM   #2
jocko

Re: New to the board, steel wheel question

Stock front truck rotor/disk combo (from a 71 or newer truck) that you mention you'd prefer over the chevelle stuff will fit within 71 and newer K5/K10 wheels - they are the same lug pattern as your 69, but have a different inner wheel profile that clears calipers. Getting harder to find, but if you post a WantToBuy ad, someone willing to sell will pop up. If you scour junkyards for 71+ 1/2 ton 4x4s or blazers - those are the wheels you want. If you go bigger than stock, then you'll need aftermarket wheels. As for replacing the rotors - you may want to consider POL or CPP (I'd choose POL - Performance Online) for a 6 lug disk and caliper - as the factory didn't make em for C10s in 6 lug. If you want to convert to 5 lug, then you have more wheels to choose from (i.e. any 71-87 C10 will do, not as hard as finding K5/10 wheels), and the disks are a stock replacement item. Of course that leaves you with the dilemma of which spare to carry!? Unless you get a 5 lug conversion axle kit for the rear (not THAT expensive via POL or CPP)... And welcome to the site!

Last edited by jocko; 07-07-2016 at 10:35 PM.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 10:42 PM   #3
Tquillen

Jocko -
There is not a steel wheel on a C10, K5, or K10 that I have found in my local yards. I'm not picky on the bolt pattern, either 6x5.5" or 5x5" will do just fine. I just can't seem to find anything! There are tons of trucks in the yards here, but they are either eight lug, or are missing the wheels, or the wheels are bent beyond use. I've wanted to stick with OEM stuff just from a quality standpoint, but are there any aftermarket brands out there that I ccan be fairly confident in?
Tquillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 09:26 PM   #4
jocko

Recommend posting a wtb ad in the parts section. K5/10 wheels not as easy to find, but people have them. But 5 lug 71+ C10 wheels are pretty common (with this group) if you want to go thru a total 5 lug conversion. Personally, I'd hold out for a set of K10 wheels. Can also use later year K5/10 truck rallies, if you like that style, and just get the proper 6 lug rotors and new calipers for the front - stock size will fit all truck rallies.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 09:55 PM   #5
ck5566
Account Suspended

Please note that you must be a supporting member to post classified items. This includes but is not limited to What Its Worth, Want To Buy, Want To Trade, and For Sale. Please consider supporting the forum by subscribing. Further information on the subscription levels available are located here

If you need any further assistance with that please contact any Admin for help.

Last edited by kcsa75; 07-08-2016 at 10:21 PM.
ck5566 is offline   Reply With Quote