The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-08-2016, 06:26 AM   #1
Mrturner1

Ordering wheels, quick question

I'm gonna order some Cragar soft 8's because the weld draglites are just too expensive for me. I'm going for the 'slicks and skinnier' look and I want the rear wheel to have as big a lip on the outside as possible, and I want the tire to be close to flush with the body, not tucked way in the wheel well like my current ones. Is the back spacing what gives it the big lip on the outside? Basically putting the outside of the rim further away from the part that the lugs bolt to? I have a 6 lug so 6x5.5 I believe is the pattern, so I'm just trying to dial in the other dimensions
Mrturner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 07:30 AM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: Ordering wheels, quick question

You want more "dish" or less offset. What width do you want, 8"? Or wide as you can go? Same size all around so you can rotate? Looks at 8" rallye wheels, is that about the look you want? Those are a great starting point for reference. I don't have any here, so can't give exact back space, but the standard is about 4". If you want wider, there is room for more back space. Does Cragar build these wheels custom or is there a set offset/back space with each size? Also, do you have a Stepside or Fleetside, and is it lowered any? What size tire were you hoping to run?

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 09:03 AM   #3
Mrturner1

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
You want more "dish" or less offset. What width do you want, 8"? Or wide as you can go? Same size all around so you can rotate? Looks at 8" rallye wheels, is that about the look you want? Those are a great starting point for reference. I don't have any here, so can't give exact back space, but the standard is about 4". If you want wider, there is room for more back space. Does Cragar build these wheels custom or is there a set offset/back space with each size? Also, do you have a Stepside or Fleetside, and is it lowered any? What size tire were you hoping to run?
Wow rally wheels really are a great example 👍 That's the look but I'd like even more dish than that in the back of possible. They make them in 15,16 and 17, and although I kinda like the 15 inch wheel and fat tire in the back look I am also partial to 17's because it fills the wheel well nice on these trucks. They make them in 8 and 9" widths, and I think wider in the back would be really cool. Looks like they only make them in 4.5" and 5" backspace, hopefully this doesn't limit the dish I can have. Haven't decided on tires yet because I am relatively new to the hobby (and only buy one size for the Silverado and one for the wife's car lol) and I really couldn't tell you what the different sizes would look like based on the numbers. The tires on the c10 are 255/60/15's and I know the 15 is for wheel size, but I always thought the first number was diameter (height) like when you buy 35/50/15's but the tire guys said otherwise, so I'm confused lol. I know that my current tires are a little too small height wise, but maybe wide enough, could be a bit wider in the rear especially
Old 07-08-2016, 09:04 AM   #4
Mrturner1

Thanks for helpin out btw
Old 07-08-2016, 09:28 AM   #5
BossHogg69
motor exploder

Generally speaking, more backspacing give you LESS 'lip'. The two are directly proportional. So a 10" wide wheel with 5" of backspace will have less lip than a 10" wheel with 4" of backspace. Just simple math there. (wheel width - backspace = lip). This is very basic and does not account for the thickness of the mounting pad of the wheel. The depth of the lip does depend on the design of the wheel, but this is the basic concept of it.

As for metric tire sizing, the first number is the tire width in milliimeters, the second number is the aspect ratio (a percentage of how tall the sidewall is in relation to the width of the tire) and the last one is the rim size in inches. Many of the tire sizes like Tire Rack and Discount Tire break down this information. A couple of quick Google searches on metric tire sizing and backspacing will give you plenty of information. There are also a TON of threads on this site with pics about what backspacing to use on these trucks, what fits and what doesn't. A little searching here with get you a long way.

1969 Chevy CST/10 stepside, DART Big M/TREMEC Magnum Extreme/3.73's w/Detroit Truetrac
1965 Chevy Bel Air Wagon (daily driver), 327/TH350,10 bolt w/3.08's
1961 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe, ZZ454/M21/9" rear w/3.50's & Detroit Truetrac
2005 GMC 1500 ccsb 2wd, 6.0L/4L65e/3.73 G80
2006 GMC 2500HD ccsb 4x4, DMax LBZ/Allison 6spd/4.56's w/Detroit TrueTrac

Use the SEARCH function on this forum - it is your friend!!

Last edited by BossHogg69; 07-08-2016 at 09:44 AM.
BossHogg69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 10:46 AM   #6
Mrturner1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossHogg69 View Post
Generally speaking, more backspacing give you LESS 'lip'. The two are directly proportional. So a 10" wide wheel with 5" of backspace will have less lip than a 10" wheel with 4" of backspace. Just simple math there. (wheel width - backspace = lip). This is very basic and does not account for the thickness of the mounting pad of the wheel. The depth of the lip does depend on the design of the wheel, but this is the basic concept of it.

As for metric tire sizing, the first number is the tire width in milliimeters, the second number is the aspect ratio (a percentage of how tall the sidewall is in relation to the width of the tire) and the last one is the rim size in inches. Many of the tire sizes like Tire Rack and Discount Tire break down this information. A couple of quick Google searches on metric tire sizing and backspacing will give you plenty of information. There are also a TON of threads on this site with pics about what backspacing to use on these trucks, what fits and what doesn't. A little searching here with get you a long way.
Useful info I appreciate the help I did some searching and learned a bit, but sometimes I like to just ask the question I have specifically to avoid peicing together answers to other questions to figure out mine
Old 07-10-2016, 03:43 PM   #7
Mrturner1

Does a 9" wide wheel fit okay on the back of a '70 c10 longbed? I think 9" is the widest they make in this wheel but I can get a wide tire to make up for that. I'm gonna need some pretty good meat in the back after this rebuild I finished
Old 07-10-2016, 04:08 PM   #8
BossHogg69
motor exploder

A straight edge against the face of the brake drum and a tape measure will tell you what will fit. It all depends on how low the back of your truck is, the backspace of the wheel you use and the size of the tire you want put on the wheel. For instance, a 9" wide wheel with 6" of backspace will hit the inside of your wheel tub. A 9" wide wheel with 4" of backspace might stick out too much and rub the fender lip if you ever lower the truck. You really need to measure. Again, lots of youtube videos and posts on this forum about measure for wheels. I think lolife99 posted a how-to in the suspension forum.

edit: here it is
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=530806

1969 Chevy CST/10 stepside, DART Big M/TREMEC Magnum Extreme/3.73's w/Detroit Truetrac
1965 Chevy Bel Air Wagon (daily driver), 327/TH350,10 bolt w/3.08's
1961 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe, ZZ454/M21/9" rear w/3.50's & Detroit Truetrac
2005 GMC 1500 ccsb 2wd, 6.0L/4L65e/3.73 G80
2006 GMC 2500HD ccsb 4x4, DMax LBZ/Allison 6spd/4.56's w/Detroit TrueTrac

Use the SEARCH function on this forum - it is your friend!!
BossHogg69 is offline   Reply With Quote