The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-08-2016, 06:30 PM   #1
10drum

Vintage Air Saga. & 1 question???

Greetings,

After much research I decided to install a vintageair system in my 69 no-air C-10. I thought it came with under dash vents for the driver and passenger, and you cut the vent in above the radio. Vintageair recommend I purchase the system from summit racing because they had a no compete clause, and had to charge retail plus shipping. I purchased the system, an under dash vent for the middle, and the required pulleys. I opened the boxes looked at the instructions and saw I would lose my glove box and I would have to cut the vents in on the side. I didn't even unpack it, called summit, and told them I wanted to return it. They told me, it was un-returnable. WTF? After some discussion, they said I could return it and pay a 20% restocking fee. What now? Pay $300 for no air, or install it.

I installed it.

What a job, I think it'd been easier to change the engine. I did buy a under dash module which holds all three vents, it looks nice, and works well. Broke my antenna lead and glovebox latch, (aftermarket antennas don't fit). Waiting on a new antenna (and latch) from LMC. There was only one compressor mount that fit my engine, so the included compressor fittings wouldn't fit, because of the stock air cleaner. Bought new fittings. The installation looks ok, even though the compressor steals the show under the hood.

I took it to a friend to have it charged, and found out the stock 4 blade radiator fan doesn't move enough air across the condenser. I know, I'm not the 1st person to run into this problem.

Now my question:

What fan should I buy?

I'm not wanting to use an electric fan, and if that is my only option, I may yank it out, sell it, or keep it as a $1500 monument of my ignorance and enjoy the heat.

Thanks for all suggestions.

Phil

I'm gonna start building a Triumph motorcycle engine, in my air conditioned basement shop, enough of this for now.
Attached Images

10drum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 06:35 PM   #2
tdangle

Re: Vintage Air Saga. & 1 question???

Why not get a stock fan from a AC truck? (6 blade I believe) Probably the same fan as used on many vehicles.

1970 Custom Camper/C20 , GM Crate 350/7004R, Dana 60, factory AC
tdangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 06:44 PM   #3
prodjay10

This guy uses one off a 2000 or so Jeep Grand Cherokee. I guess they were cheaper years back but I priced one at rock auto for $100.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=254617
Posted via Mobile Device

I have a pair of 2004 Honda Civic fans laying around that I'm going to try. If they don't work I'll upgrade to this.
prodjay10 is offline   Reply With Quote