The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-10-2016, 08:39 PM   #1
67sss

trying to find size on these rims. front or back?

anyone know where the numbers are stamped on these rims to show size?
Attached Images

67sss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 09:30 PM   #2
Nontwisty396

Re: trying to find size on these rims. front or back?

On my '72 8 lug rims the size is stamped into the rim right by the valve stem. If the rim is up as if mounted on the truck, you would look straight down at the valve stem and #s. They're very small and not stamped deep. Probably have to get thru some paint. Or rub some chalk on the rim to highlight the #s.
Nontwisty396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 09:45 PM   #3
ck5566
Account Suspended

I have 2 sets of 15" wheels that I had bead blasted and on one set I think it was the 15x6's 6 lug it had the numbering on the INSIDE of the rim (where if using a inner tube would be) opposite the valve stem. And yes I also have seen the numbering at or around the outside area of the valve stem hole.
ck5566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 09:58 PM   #4
bow-tie-bandit
Live life and be happy.

You know they are 15 inch rims going by the tire size. Other than that I can't tell you the width.
bow-tie-bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 11:22 PM   #5
dmjlambert

My 6 lug rims look like those, and I have P225/75R15 tires also, and on the inside of the rim they are stamped 15 x 5-1/2, so I can only see the marking if I remove the tire from the rim.

I bent a stiff wire around through the center hole and adjusted it so it just touched the point marked with an arrow on either side of the wheel, then carefully removed the wire without bending it, and it measures 5-7/8 inches on my wheel. So, apparently the metal thickness accounts for the difference. You should be able to use this info to measure yours without removing the tires.
Attached Images

dmjlambert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 11:33 PM   #6
67sss

Thanks for the info. I looked by the valve stem with no luck. I'm just trying to figure out width. Might have to get the tires off n see if it's in there.
Old 07-11-2016, 12:07 AM   #7
ck5566
Account Suspended

If you really want to get technical here is what you need to do. Take your tire off of the rim and measure from the " Inside of the Inboard bead seat to the Inside of the Outboard bead seat. Its just that simple. LOL LOL

Here is what I just said but with a picture.
Attached Images

ck5566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 12:21 AM   #8
dmjlambert

Yes, or if it is bothersome to remove the tire from the rim and you just want to know right now, measure the bead seat from the outside and subtract the metal thickness (roughly 3/8").
dmjlambert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 01:36 AM   #9
Gromit

The width is stamped inside on my 1970 15x4-1/2 six lug wheels.

I know this doesn't directly answer your exact question but if you already own the wheels I know a way you could find out in about three minutes..

Use a hook blade like in the attached photo in a regular old $1.99 utility knife and cut around the sidewall about 1-1/2 inches higher than the bead on both sides of the tire. If you spray a little water and keep the blade wet it will cut about 12 inches of the sidewall in two seconds.

From the condition of the outside of the wheel I would expect that the steel on the bead sealing surface would benefit from rust removal and recoating anyway; and once a tire has been on a rusty wheel the rubber surface is usually torn up at the bead and you have slow air leaks.. Also you can check the date code on the tire and if it is ten years that is about the life of the rubber anyway.

The wheel in the photos still has the rivet design or construction - my 1970's are welded so I'm guessing yours are older than 1970 - As you know Original six lug steelies can be valuable if in good condition so my two cents is don't let them rust any further by trying to save the old tire - the weak spot is the bead sealing surface corrosion. I saw a set of four for over $500 recently on Craiglsist.
Attached Images

Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 10:16 PM   #10
67sss

Tires will have to come off. The reason was stated by Gromit. Thanks for the help guys!
Old 07-12-2016, 05:39 PM   #11
Redline novdog

Name:  HPIM2390.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  10.3 KB

Name:  HPIM2391.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  29.5 KB
I have 6 inch steel wheels that came on the truck. these are 4 nub ,so newer, but the stamping is by the valve stem hole. yes its blurry but the digit on the left of the stem is a 6, and they are 6 inch. I had these sand blasted before powder coating them, so the stampings are visible, but not great. Might be they are there on yours if you get them blasted? I had no idea they were there until I blasted them.