The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-11-2016, 10:25 PM   #1
garyd1961

My recipe for old paint restoration.

At first I had planned to repaint my truck but after working on it for a while I decided to keep as much of the old paint as possible. It was in bad shape. I actually used a wire brush on the hood when I bought the truck 10 years ago.
My recipe is simple but effective. I oiled the whole truck with motor oil and let it soak in for a day then go over it with Johnson Paste Wax. Johnson Paste Wax doesn't turn white in the scratches like car wax. I need to apply a second coat of wax but here is the results. Sorry this was a spur of the moment thing and I didn't get any before pictures but the change was dramatic.

Last edited by garyd1961; 07-11-2016 at 10:46 PM.
garyd1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 05:42 AM   #2
JCD

Re: My recipe for old paint restoration.

In a way you've helped your truck's finish.
Red paint oxidizes faster because it's iron that makes it red.
If it starts to oxidize again, let me recommend a product that's available at most Pep Boy's and the like.

TR3.
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...A.oap?pt=N0458

I've applied it to two different red cars that were terribly oxidized, and it took off the dull coating, and brought it back to a shine.
Lasts for years too.

J.
Attached Images

1969 SS El Camino
1968 SS RS 396 Camaro
1967 Barracuda Formula S
1965 140/4sp Corvair Monza Convertible

Sorry, but I don't do Fords.
JCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 10:06 AM   #3
CG
BlahBlahBlah

When I was a kid I had a 69 AMX that the paint had oxidized on. I wanted to sell the car so I used what I had on hand to pep it up a bit ... I armoralled the whole thing. Looked great, but the next owner was going to have a heck of a time with a new paint job, fish eye city. Is that the same thing that will happen if you use motor oil on the body and want to paint it in the future?
Old 07-12-2016, 12:13 PM   #4
davepl

Does Turtle Wax still make "Color Back"? It was a weirdly annoying and impressive product.

It could "restore" old faded paint in one step chemically, somehow. But if you didn't then take care of it, it'd fade with a massive new oxidation step about 2 weeks later. That was my only experience with it... if it stayed nice with a coat of wax, it'd be an amazing product.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 08:41 PM   #5
garyd1961

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
When I was a kid I had a 69 AMX that the paint had oxidized on. I wanted to sell the car so I used what I had on hand to pep it up a bit ... I armoralled the whole thing. Looked great, but the next owner was going to have a heck of a time with a new paint job, fish eye city. Is that the same thing that will happen if you use motor oil on the body and want to paint it in the future?
I wish I had done this 10 years ago. If I had I would still have 99% of the original paint left. The reason I didn't is because I thought I would just put a cheap paint job on it someday. This truck was in pretty bad shape when I got it and I never thought I would be rebuilding it as far as I have. I probably save it from the junkyard and although it will never be a show winning truck it's still a good truck and I enjoy driving it.
I'm thinking of getting another and taking it back down to the frame and rebuilding it but I enjoy driving this one too much to set it down for that long.
garyd1961 is offline   Reply With Quote