The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-12-2016, 10:19 AM   #1
LDO

Rear Glass 85 C10

I've decided to remove the leaking factory slider from Ol' Blue. 85 C10.

My front and rear glass has the locking strip. I've read most of the threads here on glass removal/re-installation and using some rope, etc..

Is there any difference when installing one that has the locking strip? Hoping to tackle this in the next day or so.

thanks in advance...
LDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 11:49 AM   #2
chrismoore701

Re: Rear Glass 85 C10

I cut my window out with a razor and installed the rear window with a rope.
2018 Chevy Silverado, 39 years apart
My build 2008-2016. http://m.imgur.com/a/bURrE
chrismoore701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 09:39 AM   #3
CSHADES

The install isn't to bad to do. I just did my windshield and rear glass with lock strips. You pull the lock strip out gently if you are reusing it. I used a radiator hose pick tool and went around the window rubber to loosen it the just gently pried the window up and out of the rubber seal. The install was a little more difficult, I was installing new rubber with a new paint job so I fought with the rubber staying in place, if you are reusing your rubber and it is stuck to the truck it should be straight forward. I set the window into the bottom rubber as well as I could and used the radiator hose pick tool again to roll the rubber over the edge of the sliding window frame. it helps if you have someone that can help hold the window in position while you are doing this. The lock strip is kind of a pain to install, there is a tool to do it with(which I have now purchased) but you can make your own tool with a piece of coat hanger wire and a vice grip. Just cut out a straight piece of hanger and bend it to go around the strip semi loosely, leaving the ends to clamp into the vice grip. Lube the rubber where the strip goes in, slide the strip into the center of the tool, push the tool into the groove in the rubber, then work the tool around the rubber as you feed the lock strip into the channel. The hardest part for me was getting the stupid corner trim pieces back in place. Once you get the hang of sliding the strip in it goes fast. Make sure you lube it well. I used slippery hand cleaner but I am sure dish soap or any other non petrol based lube will work.
CSHADES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 01:51 AM   #4
andrewmp6

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MNIXbHb8KU
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 06:46 AM   #5
Shady Rascal

They make a real nice tool for the locking strip. I bought mine about twenty years ago and have never been sorry. Even today, they still run 10-15 bucks max.

Lisle 47000

https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-47000-W.../dp/B000COA1CQ
Shady Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote