The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-12-2016, 10:34 PM   #1
tdangle

Upper control arm bushings

I need to change out the upper control bushings. Did this a while back on the other side, removing the entire upper control arm, I removed the upper ball joint wrecking it in the process.

I am looking at it now and think I may be able to replace the cross shaft and bushings with out removing the ball joint from the spindle. Has anyone ever done this? If not, I'm open to suggestions.

1970 Custom Camper/C20 , GM Crate 350/7004R, Dana 60, factory AC
tdangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 10:31 AM   #2
biketopia

Re: Upper control arm bushings

your best bet is to pull the arm and do them on a bench. how did you mess up your upper ball joint removing it? To remove it from the spindle do this. Remove the wheel, support the lower control arm with a jack stand, remove the nut from the upper BJ, re thread it on a few turns by hand, place a pry bar to apply some upward pressure to the upper control arm, turn the knuckle in a way to strike where the joint goes into the spindle squarely, hit it with a hammer while prying up, shouldn't take much, but hit it hard and it should pop. Viola, ball joint separated, no damage to joint and you can do your upper bushings on a bench.

07 Silverado Classic 2wd

95 Camaro 427SBC/TH350
biketopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 11:52 AM   #3
tdangle

Thanks biketopia, I'll try your method of removing the upper ball joint. I ended up messing up the one on the other side trying to get it loose with a pickle fork. This was a few years ago and every year I get a little older and smarter. I agree it would be much easier to do on the bench.

Old 07-20-2016, 12:29 PM   #4
biketopia

perfect, feel free to ask or PM with any other questions. Pickle forks are great..if you're replacing things haha!!

07 Silverado Classic 2wd

95 Camaro 427SBC/TH350
biketopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 07:42 PM   #5
tdangle

Good news! The hammer method worked great and my upper ball joint is actually in great shape. I would have not thought since it is the original. Only a small tear in the rubber boot. Of course it had so much packed dirt and grease around it and on everything that I'm still trying to clean stuff up.

My dad used to say the dirt was holding his (now mine) truck together. I'm thinking he wasn't kidding.

Old 07-26-2016, 07:47 AM   #6
notsolo

This method works great if you have to do it again! Also Amazon has ball joint boots, if you need new ones. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=624464
notsolo is offline   Reply With Quote