The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-13-2016, 10:27 PM   #1
everettelane

Anyone else have this happen

3" cutoff wheel on die grinder exploded, i got them from harbor freight, you guys if you use these at least wear a faceshield, i'm probably one of the worst about getting in a hurry and not wearing it but this will make you think, it stuck about 1/4 " under the skin, just glad it wasn't in the eye or face.
Attached Images

everettelane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 10:29 PM   #2
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Re: Anyone else have this happen

Ive seen too many pics like this not to wear a face mask when using a grinder. Harbor Freight wheels or any other.
Old 07-13-2016, 10:30 PM   #3
drfloyd

Man, hope that heals well. I'm a believer in a face shield with any of this rotating equipment but especially cutoff wheels on a Metabo or air tool. Sorry it happened but at least it wasn't worse.
drfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 10:44 PM   #4
trac209

I had a grinder with a cut off wheel get wrapped around my arm while cutting off an exhaust system and the wheel broke. It cut several nerves in my left wrist and needed 8 stitches. Left my hand with numbness from the middle finger to pinky. Make sure you get all the peices out as grinders are very dirty and leave particulate throughout wound.
trac209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 11:08 PM   #5
everettelane

I hope you are doing better now, I cleaned it real good with alcohol and peroxide, it sounds like we may need some more protection for the hands and arms, well i'm 42 now and this is this first time i've had one blow apart like that. I just want to let everybody know, just think before they just grab tools and start working we all like our trucks but it worth an eye or worse.
Old 07-13-2016, 11:27 PM   #6
General23cmp

My dad put a large diameter cutting wheel on a hand grinder. It was rated for about 1/3 the rpms it saw. It broke at the center and flew across the yard, embedding in a tree about 4 inches. It could've killed someone. Dumb.
General23cmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 11:29 PM   #7
Grumpy old man

Pour some lacquer thinner on it and a piece of duct tape and get back to work ! Besides chick's dig scars !

Always wear eye protection !

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop

Last edited by Grumpy old man; 07-13-2016 at 11:56 PM.
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 12:11 AM   #8
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

I had a cutoff wheel come apart and hit my face shield yesterday. I always wear a Carhartt Detroit jacket when I grind as well. Shrapnel hit the shield and my shoulder. But the shield and the coat kept anything from hitting skin, or worse, my eyes.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 12:41 AM   #9
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Thanks for sharing and glad you're good. Could have taken your nose off too.........Ooooooooops. Bad things.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assembly kit for restoring the (a) truck from the ground up. My build thread, and more on the assembly kit https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 06:36 AM   #10
GR8-68

One thing I do not buy from harbor freight anymore is those cutoff wheels bought a whole pack of them and they do come apart easily and do not last like a good brand anyway. Glad it wasn't worse, like said earlier make sure it is cleaned out good.

It is easily overlooked that what is now called vintage was once brand new.

"Project 68"

paypal.me/ldgrant
GR8-68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 07:15 AM   #11
hugger6933

I use the HF cutoff wheels in my shop. I've gone through probably four or five of the ten packs at least. I wear a face guard. I have never had one come apart but you have to be careful to discard them if they get bound up on a work piece.
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 07:55 AM   #12
palallin

It doesn't matter where they come from: any one of them can come apart at any time. Wear protection! Don't be lulled into complacency by the place purchased or the brand on the label.
Old 07-14-2016, 09:35 AM   #13
midniteblues

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugger6933 View Post
I use the HF cutoff wheels in my shop. I've gone through probably four or five of the ten packs at least. I wear a face guard. I have never had one come apart but you have to be careful to discard them if they get bound up on a work piece.
Yhea I've used them almost exclusively here and never had one blow unless it was dropped or cracked somehow.
I really like Norton discs but between the price and avalibility sometimes isn't there.

Like said any of them could come apart. Safety safety safety.

Wire wheels can be the worst.
Most of us seen what happened too
69trucker.

Heal well, and don't ever forget this happened.
'74 heald super bronc vt8. tecumseh powered moon rover.
midniteblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 10:26 AM   #14
GR8-68

All I am saying is sometimes you get what you pay for, I bought a pack and the first two I used exploded. I am done with them cause I know the dangers in these things , nortons are not that much more. Not worth the pain.

Yes I have had my dumb moments with a wire brush, luckily I had a heavy jacket on and it didn't hurt as bad

It is easily overlooked that what is now called vintage was once brand new.

"Project 68"

paypal.me/ldgrant
GR8-68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 11:00 AM   #15
Gromit

Just by taking the trouble to post that you likely saved some percentage of readers here from a similar experience.

I've read somewhere that angle grinders are one of the most dangerous electrical hand tools by number of injuries.

Most injuries were from people who removed the blade guard and then tried to hold the tool with one hand, especially when trying to do this with the tool above their head.

Opening Google and typing "Angle Grinder Accident" into the search bar, and then selecting "Images" as the search type; looking at those photos will definitely set one's mind in the right frame before using that tool.

Thanks for the reminder and hope that cut knits up quickly..
Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 11:27 AM   #16
kcsa75

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR8-68 View Post
One thing I do not buy from harbor freight anymore is those cutoff wheels bought a whole pack of them and they do come apart easily and do not last like a good brand anyway. Glad it wasn't worse, like said earlier make sure it is cleaned out good.
I agree. I bought a pack of six or eight at HF. Ended up using the whole pack to cut off the eight bolts to remove the bed on my truck.

People who blindly follow a GPS end up on television programs on The Weather Channel. Some survive, some don't.
kcsa75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 11:46 AM   #17
custom10nut

Always wear the shield, gloves, and sleeves. ALWAYS! One technique I use with cutoff and grinding wheels, is to "chip away" while cutting or grinding. That means pace yourself so as not to build up too much heat in the disc. There are those who will say "I don't have time for that", but those are usually the ones in the ER. Never ever ever sacrifice safety for speed, because you'll lose
custom10nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 11:58 AM   #18
Stuntmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntmonkey View Post
Definitely wear those face shields guys! In fact go for double eye protection, safety glasses and the shield. It's mandatory for all my guys and if you're caught not wearing one it'll get you skidded off site faster than you can get your coveralls off.
Just posted that haha!
Stuntmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 12:03 PM   #19
ck5566
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by everettelane View Post
3" cutoff wheel on die grinder exploded, i got them from harbor freight, you guys if you use these at least wear a faceshield, i'm probably one of the worst about getting in a hurry and not wearing it but this will make you think, it stuck about 1/4 " under the skin, just glad it wasn't in the eye or face.
Grinders at 10,000 rpm's and Cutoff Tools at 25,000 rpm's Well I tell you they will do any thing they want at those speeds/rpm's. Here is my experience and yes the bone is in two pieces

Not giving any one the finger here, just the best pic that shows the all most Severed finger cut.
Attached Images

Last edited by ck5566; 07-14-2016 at 12:09 PM.
ck5566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 12:30 PM   #20
burnin oil

One thing I learned about Harbor Freight cut off wheels is don't ever change the angle in a cut. If you do it is gaurenteed to come apart. It usually hurts really bad also as some has shown.
burnin oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 03:11 PM   #21
Grumpy old man

It just boils down to the same old adage "you get what you pay for " They make face shields , heavy leather gloves, welding jackets , etc,etc, blow 150 psi thru any air tool rated at 90 and things happen . Toss a discount cutting wheel in the mix and you should expect a blowout . I'm guilty myself

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 08:13 PM   #22
everettelane

I'm glad to see the guys pay attention on this thread at least we know we can do our part and let others know about our experiences, Like grumpy old man just stated i completely forgot about setting my regulator to 90 psi hell it was at 110. I haven't been a member here long but I've came across some good info here keep up the good work guys!!!
Old 07-14-2016, 08:16 PM   #23
everettelane

Quote:
Originally Posted by ck5566 View Post
Grinders at 10,000 rpm's and Cutoff Tools at 25,000 rpm's Well I tell you they will do any thing they want at those speeds/rpm's. Here is my experience and yes the bone is in two pieces

Not giving any one the finger here, just the best pic that shows the all most Severed finger cut.
OUCH!!! I know that hurt, Hope it heals quick.
Old 07-14-2016, 09:17 PM   #24
In The Ten Ring

OP: get that thing stitched up after a serious cleaning.

Thanks also for posting, safety really is first and foremost.

I wear a face shield and mask when grinding or using a wire wheel on a grinder. I don't have health insurance and a little bit of safety prep is much less expensive than a big doctor bill.

***The post by a forum member about two years ago of how he lost an eye by not wearing safety goggles while wire brushing really made an impression on me. This will have a similar effect, thanks again for posting.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 09:23 PM   #25
firedemon

I use angle grinders every day in my job caught myself a few times . a few things I have learned unplug the machine when you change those wheels , cut with the rotation of the machine , use two hands , and throw away those cheap ones with the on off switch spend the extra money and get the paddle switch do not use those on off type unless you hate those fingers . if something happens you cant shut it off fast enough .
firedemon is offline   Reply With Quote