The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-18-2016, 06:18 PM   #1
Rambinguy

Need Transmission Help

Hello all, I have a friend who has a '65 Chevy truck and needs a transmission. His truck has a 283 w/ a manual 3-speed on the tree. Our problem is a family friend took the old trans out, said it was no good and tossed it. So, we don't have the old one to use as a guide to find a proper replacement. Can anyone help? Thanks, Randy
Rambinguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 08:24 PM   #2
62stepside longbox

Re: Need Transmission Help

A t5 would be a great swap
my build thread. Sending unit solution
62stepside longbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 12:46 PM   #3
Rambinguy

Is the T5 what came in it? Is there a way to tell?
Old 07-19-2016, 12:49 PM   #4
Rambinguy

Ok, found this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/S10-T5-5-Spe...-/301983873788

Not the original, but that's okay. How hard would it be to mate this to the '65 283? Mate it to the manual column shifter?

I sure appreciate your help!

Randy
Old 07-19-2016, 12:52 PM   #5
Ta2edjr

A 3spd Saginaw is probably what was taken out of it. If you are wanting a bolt it replacement then I would try to find one they are usually plentiful and cheap...if if you are looking to upgrade there is a lot of good Info on here. Just depends on what ya want really
Ta2edjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 01:05 PM   #6
Rambinguy

Okay bud, going off your recommendation for a T5, I found a shop here locally who can do it so I'm good to go! Thank you very much for your time and suggestion! The ol' 65 will be rolling again soon!
Old 07-19-2016, 01:06 PM   #7
Rambinguy

The shop gave some good suggestions for an upgrade, a couple of hundred more, but sounds very much worth it. The quoted $950 out the door.
Old 07-19-2016, 01:30 PM   #8
Lugnutz65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambinguy View Post
The shop gave some good suggestions for an upgrade, a couple of hundred more, but sounds very much worth it. The quoted $950 out the door.
Make sure you get the info about the T5 (or whatever tranny you get).
1. You will want to know what clutch package they used.
2. You will want to know what T5 they used and what the overdrive gear is. If they install a T5, it means you will have a floor shifter.

If they do all the work for $950, I'm wondering if it's a rebuilt T5?

Want to know more about T5 transmissions? My website has a T5 Info Page and a Step by Step T5 rebuild.
Lugnutz65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 10:56 PM   #9
mehoff400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugnutz65 View Post
Make sure you get the info about the T5 (or whatever tranny you get).
1. You will want to know what clutch package they used.
2. You will want to know what T5 they used and what the overdrive gear is. If they install a T5, it means you will have a floor shifter.

If they do all the work for $950, I'm wondering if it's a rebuilt T5?
agreed as thats what it about costed me for a rebuilt camaro/s10 t5

My truck
mehoff400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 11:17 AM   #10
bmacneal

there are two types of t5's -- world class and non- world class. the world class is stronger. there are more than one bellhousing bolt patterns. some years/vehicle combinations that are the standard chevy bolt patterns and some are the ford bolt patterns. you will need a 1" spacer so that the input shaft will fit. the t5 input is longer than the standard chevy. there are mechanical speedo drives and electronic speedo drives. make sure you get the one you need. it depends on the year/model of donor vehicle. you will need a clutch disc -- 11" 26 spline from a chevy astro. maybe the driveshaft length needs to be changed.

I don't want to discourage you, but just some things to consider
bmacneal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 01:15 PM   #11
Lugnutz65

I have been around T5s for a while, so I want to help clarify a few things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmacneal View Post
there are two types of t5's -- world class and non- world class. the world class is stronger.
The WC is slightly stronger but this of no significance for a daily driver. The WC is more expensive to rebuild if needed.

Quote:
. . . there are more than one bellhousing bolt patterns. some years/vehicle combinations that are the standard chevy bolt patterns and some are the ford bolt patterns.
The Chevy S10 and GMC S15 and Sonoma has a Chevy style bolt pattern from 1983-1993. The Camaro and Firebird T5 has a Chevy pattern 1983-1992.

Quote:
. . . . you will need a 1" spacer so that the input shaft will fit. the t5 input is longer than the standard chevy.
The spacer is NOT needed for a V8 Camaro T5. The spacer is optional for the S10, S15, Sonoma and V6 Camaro T5. The spacer can be eliminated by performing a Jeep input shaft swap. See my website HERE. This upgrades the strength of the input shaft and allows the use of the factory style 10 spline clutch disc.

Quote:
. . . . there are mechanical speedo drives and electronic speedo drives. make sure you get the one you need. it depends on the year/model of donor vehicle.
The mechanical speedo connection is found on 1988 and earlier S10, S15 Sonoma trucks. All the Camaro and Firebirds up to 1992 have mechanical speedo but the shifter is too far back for a bench seat truck. The Camaro shifter position works fine in a bucket seat truck as long as you are happy with the shifter position a little further back.

Quote:
. . . . you will need a clutch disc -- 11" 26 spline from a chevy astro.
The Astro van uses a 14 spline clutch disc - not a 26 spline disc. The V8 Camaro and Firebird T5s are the only ones that use a 26 spline clutch disc.

Quote:
. . . . maybe the driveshaft length needs to be changed.
Yes, the driveshaft will need to be shortened.

Want to know more about T5 transmissions? My website has a T5 Info Page and a Step by Step T5 rebuild.
Lugnutz65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 05:48 PM   #12
padresag

here is a page to find out a little about what trans should be in there , SM318
https://www.google.ca/webhp?sourceid...20transmission
unless you know what you want to do with the truck I would just put a 318 in . you should be able to sell it again later if you don't trash it. it will be the least expensive way to get it going. it will be a bolt in which you can do as long as you get the right one.
T5 trans are nice but will not take much abuse so if your friend is going to be a little heavy footed I wouldn't advise one. they will cost a lot more to fix.
there is more than 1 way to install a t5. 1 you can go to the store and buy all the pieces to put one in or 2; if you have a few skills and can follow directions there is a little modifying to do and you can save yourself some money. if you need some links on how to do it yourself, I can supply them
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote