The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-20-2016, 11:11 AM   #1
cgster

Straightening wheels before column install

Had a friend help me pull out my old steering column a few months ago. Didn't think about the wheels being straight before I started and the wheels were turned a pretty good amount. Anyway, finally got new steering column installed (not including steering wheel or knobs) and not sure what the easiest way to get the wheels straight before I put the steering wheel on. Should I put the steering wheel on first, turn the wheels straight and then pull the steering wheel back off and then put it back on straight?
cgster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 11:13 AM   #2
Valarius_Starchaser

Re: Straightening wheels before column install

Just jack the front up and turn the front wheels by hand.....
Old 07-20-2016, 11:19 AM   #3
cgster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valarius_Starchaser View Post
Just jack the front up and turn the front wheels by hand.....
That sounded like to easy of an option lol! I'll definitely try that approach. Thanks.
cgster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 01:12 PM   #4
davepl

You can make fine adjustments with the tie rod end sleeves I think. Well, I know you CAN, because I've seen it done, I just don't know if you SHOULD.

I once went and got a full alignment when I was 17, got in the car, the wheel was crooked. So he gets under there and spins a sleeve a couple of turns and it's straight. So I asked "But doesn't that mess up the alignment you just did (ie: that I just paid for)" and he said "Nope".

I still don't know if that's true... but it always bugged me.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 02:03 PM   #5
A1971Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepl View Post
You can make fine adjustments with the tie rod end sleeves I think. Well, I know you CAN, because I've seen it done, I just don't know if you SHOULD.

I once went and got a full alignment when I was 17, got in the car, the wheel was crooked. So he gets under there and spins a sleeve a couple of turns and it's straight. So I asked "But doesn't that mess up the alignment you just did (ie: that I just paid for)" and he said "Nope".

I still don't know if that's true... but it always bugged me.
You can move the steering wheel a little by adjusting the sleeve....since it's only the link between the steering gear and the steering wheel shaft, it doesn't
affect the alignment.
1972 Chevrolet K/5 Blazer
A1971Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 02:11 PM   #6
klay15

I have a 1969 c10 and the steering box under the hood has a notch on top of the shaft. Turn the wheel to one side and count the revolution to the other side and back up half that distance. You should see a notch on the steering box rod. That is when the wheels are straight with the steering box. You should be able to reinstall the steering wheel on center.
klay15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 02:11 PM   #7
davepl

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1971Blazer View Post
You can move the steering wheel a little by adjusting the sleeve....since it's only the link between the steering gear and the steering wheel shaft, it doesn't
affect the alignment.
But doesn't it "toe in" one wheel more or less, depending on which way he turns it? I figure if you adjusted both equally, that'd perhaps realign the steering wheel without changing the alignment, but I thought if you only turned one that it would change the relationship between the two wheels (pigeon toe them in, or toe them out, depending on which way you turned it).
Old 07-20-2016, 03:45 PM   #8
A1971Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepl View Post
But doesn't it "toe in" one wheel more or less, depending on which way he turns it? I figure if you adjusted both equally, that'd perhaps realign the steering wheel without changing the alignment, but I thought if you only turned one that it would change the relationship between the two wheels (pigeon toe them in, or toe them out, depending on which way you turned it).
No....the "tie rod" and "drag link" are two separate components.....the tie rod is what adjusts the toe-in (or out)....the drag ling simply connects the pitman arm to the steering knuckle on one side....from there the tie rod is what moves (turns) the other wheel.....they are totally independent of each other....when you adjust the drag link sleeve all it does is lengthen or shorten the distance from the pitman arm to the knuckle...If both front wheels are on the ground and you turn the sleeve...the only thing that will move is the steering wheel....
Old 07-20-2016, 06:36 PM   #9
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Straightening wheels before column install

Properly to get it right you need the wheels and all parts straight with out it hooked to the steering column. Center the travel of the steering with out the steering column.
Then turn the column from lock to lock and count turns. center it and hook up to the rag joint then if needed take the steering wheel off and realign it.
The sleeves are for front end alignment adjustments and will mess with the final alignment up over all.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 07:34 PM   #10
A1971Blazer

If the wheels are pointed straight and the pitman arm is centered, moving the sleeve on the drag link to center the steering wheel won't affect front end alignment whatsoever.....why is this so difficult for people to understand? Take it all the way loose....heck take it off.....is your front end now out of alignment now?......nope....you just can't steer it....

Last edited by A1971Blazer; 07-20-2016 at 07:39 PM.
Old 07-20-2016, 09:28 PM   #11
davepl

Quote:
If the wheels are pointed straight and the pitman arm is centered, moving the sleeve on the drag link to center the steering wheel won't affect front end alignment whatsoever.....why is this so difficult for people to understand? Take it all the way loose....heck take it off.....is your front end now out of alignment now?......nope....you just can't steer it....
Just stupid I guess, so type slowly so I can understand your fancy college lecture.

Please explain, real simple now, why adjusting the sleeves doesn't change toe in. But don't use any big words.

Maybe go at it backwards. What if I wanted to screw up my alignment and make my wheels real toed in. What part would I adjust if not the sleeve? Is there a toe nut? Or a toe spring?
Old 07-21-2016, 12:57 AM   #12
Andy4639
Old member

The sleeves adjust the toe in are out on a vehicle not for getting the steering wheel straight! Nothing else just toe in are out.
If you pay to have a front alignment done and they use the sleeves to set the steering wheel you need to find a new shop.

If the column was removed with it turned all the way to the right then all you need to do is install the column and turn the steering wheel all the way right in theory it should be fine may make it a little harder to hook up but it should be just fine.

Pictures show the new sleeves I have installed. If the wheels are straight and the steering wheel is off some then by turning the sleeve to straight the steering wheel just un did your alignment, depending on which way you turn the sleeve it either toe in the tire are toe it out on that side.
These are not for centering the steering wheel.
To center the wheel you need the front wheels both looking straight then make sure the column has been turned lock to lock and back to center. Have the pitman arm off of the gear box when you do this. Once you have both the column and wheels looking straight hook the pitman arm up to both. Then if the steering is off a little remove it and put it straight. Then take it and have the front end aligned.
Plain and simple.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.

Last edited by Andy4639; 07-21-2016 at 01:05 AM.
Old 07-21-2016, 04:51 AM   #13
A1971Blazer

OK.........I see where the confusion is........I was thinking 4 wheel drive steering system...they don't steer off the tie rod.....obviously the 2wd is different and I should have asked if the OP had 2wd or 4wd......I haven't owned a 2wd truck in 25 years and likely never will again........my bad.....good luck with figuring it out.
I apologize for confusing the issue and if I seemed condescending.......sorry, I didn't mean it that way.

Last edited by A1971Blazer; 07-21-2016 at 06:59 AM.
Old 07-21-2016, 02:13 PM   #14
davepl

Quote:
The sleeves adjust the toe in are out on a vehicle not for getting the steering wheel straight! Nothing else just toe in are out.
If you pay to have a front alignment done and they use the sleeves to set the steering wheel you need to find a new shop.
Thanks, that's what I thought, but didn't know for sure.

Quote:
I apologize for confusing the issue and if I seemed condescending.
No harm, I learned something - that alignment is different on a 2WD vs 4WD.
Old 07-21-2016, 02:53 PM   #15
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Straightening wheels before column install

Quote:
OK.........I see where the confusion is........I was thinking 4 wheel drive steering system...they don't steer off the tie rod.....obviously the 2wd is different and I should have asked if the OP had 2wd or 4wd......I haven't owned a 2wd truck in 25 years and likely never will again........my bad.....good luck with figuring it out.
I apologize for confusing the issue and if I seemed condescending.......sorry, I didn't mean it that way.

It's all good man! No problem. We are all here to learn are to teach on these trucks. I get corrected all the time on here.
I don't know nothing on the 4x4 stuff for these trucks.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 07-21-2016, 03:00 PM   #16
A1971Blazer

Thanks...! If I ever need 2wd advice and guidance...I know where to go...!